U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 11 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashley did very well in the LP in the 2009 GPF, and her score was what? 108? Her personal best is 108.81. Rachael Flatt personal best is 117.85 (with two downgraded flips)
Who in their right mind thinks Ashley is a better competitor than Rachael Flatt. It's not even close.
Mirai's biggest competitor is Rachael. Ashley is hanging in there until someone younger comes in and takes her place. I don't see her getting anywhere. She's like the knock off version of Yukari Nakano. I'll be surprised if she gets to go to Worlds ever again.

In 2012, Xtina and Agnes will fight for that second and third spots.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ashley did very well in the LP in the 2009 GPF, and her score was what? 108? Her personal best is 108.81. Rachael Flatt personal best is 117.85 (with two downgraded flips)
Who in their right mind thinks Ashley is a better competitor than Rachael Flatt. It's not even close.
Mirai's biggest competitor is Rachael. Ashley is hanging in there until someone younger comes in and takes her place. I don't see her getting anywhere. She's like the knock off version of Yukari Nakano. I'll be surprised if she gets to go to Worlds ever again.

In 2012, Xtina and Agnes will fight for that second and third spots.

It might seem fair to think Rachael will leave after this season for school. Or at best cut her training way back.

Ashley has said Sochi is her goal.

Here is her LP from Natls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSMpibhNdQs

A few mistakes but on the whole a pretty exciting program skated with alot of energy.
I think Ashley is still developing and her best is yet to come.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It might seem fair to think Rachael will leave after this season for school. Or at best cut her training way back.

Ashley has said Sochi is her goal.

Here is her LP from Natls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSMpibhNdQs

A few mistakes but on the whole a pretty exciting program skated with alot of energy.
I think Ashley is still developing and her best is yet to come.

She's 19/20. She's done. You might be looking at her best in that video. :).
Peggy might have said Sochi is her goal, too. ;).

janetfan

Match Penalty
She's 19/20. She's done. You might be looking at her best in that video. :).

I doubt it. I think Ashley is a year older than Rachael. Hardly ancient especially in the CoP era.

My hunch is that Ashley will win a Worlds medal before Rachael ever does.

janetfan

Match Penalty

That is not really such a bold prediction since this may be Rachael's last year competing.
But looking at their skating I think Ashley is superior to Rachael in just about every category. I also think Priscilla is a good coach. I think Johnny made a mistake leaving her - or atleast should have gone to someone else.

We will see......
If Rachael can win a Worlds medal this season I will be happy for her. First she will have to make the Natl team and that is not going to be easy.

After US Skating saw how she was marked at the Olympics and Worlds they might not be as forgiving with her this season.

I pick Mirai and Ashley to make the Natl team this season. If healthy at Worlds they will get the three spots back for USA.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Three Beautiful Skaters

I'll root for...

Ashley Wagner, Amanda Dobbs and Christina Gao.
It's more fun when my favorites win the competitions.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
That is not really such a bold prediction since this may be Rachael's last year competing.

I know, I know, but I just love the idea of Ashley winning a World medal!

But looking at their skating I think Ashley is superior to Rachael in just about every category. I also think Priscilla is a good coach.

I agree, I also think Ashley's skating is superior to Rachael's. And Ashley is doing a great job with Priscilla!

After US Skating saw how she was marked at the Olympics and Worlds they might not be as forgiving with her this season.

An interesting question. Do U.S. judges take their cue at U.S. Nationals from the opinions of judges from other countries judging other events?

"International judges" are just, well, judges who happen to come from Sweden or Australia, rather than from the U.S. Most of the judges at U.S. Nationals are certified "ISU championship judges," too.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
An interesting question. Do U.S. judges take their cue at U.S. Nationals from the opinions of judges from other countries judging other events?

That's an age old question that may never be answered. As much as we can argue about that, and we will, there is one thing I am certain of. The ISU judges DO NOT consider national placements or scores. I remember this talk of a "gentlemen's agreement" that ISU judges would not reverse national placements. I have seen no evidence of such an agreement. In fact, recently it seems our top man and lady at Nationals are not on top at Worlds.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
That's an age old question that may never be answered. As much as we can argue about that, and we will, there is one thing I am certain of. The ISU judges DO NOT consider national placements or scores. I remember this talk of a "gentlemen's agreement" that ISU judges would not reverse national placements. I have seen no evidence of such an agreement. In fact, recently it seems our top man and lady at Nationals are not on top at Worlds.

But that's not really true of other nations, is it? I'd be curious, of all the nations with multiple competitors, how many saw rankings different than at their respective nationals. Off the top of my head....

USA: Three of four disciplines saw the reverse (pairs, ladies) or a complete rewriting (men) of the podium at the Olympics.
Canada: All the same

janetfan

Match Penalty

"International judges" are just, well, judges who happen to come from Sweden or Australia, rather than from the U.S. Most of the judges at U.S. Nationals are certified "ISU championship judges," too.

Mirai scored about 188 at Natls and at the Olympics.
Rachael's scores were much different at the two events although her skating seemed to be about the same. You know, "reliable Rachael" ;)

Mirai will score 188 or higher again at both Natl and Intl events. I would bet a decent sum that Rachael will never, ever score 200 + points at a Worlds or Olympics.

Why does that make me feel like something was off at Natls?
I think US Skating / judges looked at Rachael's 5th place finish from '09 Worlds and decided she was our best bet in Vancouver. I think they inflated her scores - in comparison to the others - past the point of credibilty at Natls.

But haven't we been over this before? :) If your dg point is next - then yes we have. It feels invalid to me now just as it did before. The score is the score. It doesn't matter how they get there only what the final number is.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I doubt it. I think Ashley is a year older than Rachael. Hardly ancient especially in the CoP era.

My hunch is that Ashley will win a Worlds medal before Rachael ever does.

I agree. Ashley is more of the complete package than Rachael. Her positions, spins and speed are better, as is her use of the music and interpretation. If Ashley could rotate all her jumps I she could easily make the top 5 at Worlds IMO, especially if Yu-na is a no show.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nagasu, Gao, and either Jiang or Wang. Those are my picks for who will go to the Olympics in 2014. I also really like Siraj but she is really tiny right now so it's hard to tell what a growthspurt will do to her skating.

I'd really like Ashley to have another shot at Worlds, but this season where there's only 2 spots I want it to be Nagasu and Gao. But, if Nagasu is not healthy by then Wagner and Gao would be great too. I'd love to see all 3 of them at Worlds in 2012 :).