U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 20 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

I just looked up Michelles. The Olympic games weren't her best showcase, but she got a total of 12 6.0s at world championships -- including six of them for her free skate in 2004. (This was the last year of the 6.0 system. The ISU had a bucketfull of them that they wouldn't be able to use any more, so... :) )

janetfan

Match Penalty
I just looked up Michelles. The Olympic games weren't her best showcase, but she got a total of 12 6.0s at world championships -- including six of them for her free skate in 2004. (This was the last year of the 6.0 system. The ISU had a bucketfull of them that they wouldn't be able to use any more, so... :) )

:laugh:

I remember Sapporo, 1972 and Janet got a 6.0 even though she fell out of her flying sitspin. :think:

The stuff of legends....... :)

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure that Yagudin got the most ever. He got four for presentation, skating last in 2002.

This was the LP where Scott Hamilton opined, well that was a crumby skate -- he should be behind both Plushenko and Goebel -- Yags just looked like he gave up and conceded the long to Plushenko, being so far ahead pf him after the short. :)

I think Yagudin got 6 in the short program alone at the following World championships.

His 6s were all for presentation, right? Yeah, that commentary from Hamilton :rolleye:

I really don't know if there has ever been or ever will be anyone as far ahead of her time technically as Midori was. But I also don't think there have ever been two skaters who so utterly superior to the competition technically AND artistically as Yuna and Mao are right now... Or two skaters who are so equally good at both sides of the sport.
I'm with Janetfan, I think we would have seen rows of 6.0s for Yuna at these Olympics. When was the last time an Olympic gold medal favorite skated so flawlessly?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm not a uber fan of Yuna, nor Mao, though I do prefer the latter, so I will weigh in on this ongoing debate. If it were me I would have given Yuna straight 6.0's across the board for presentation with one or two 6.0's for technical; if she had done all 7 triples, then I would have given her straight 6.0's across the board for *both* presentation & technical, as she has it all ~ Katarina Witt's sexiness combined with Irina Slutskaya's jumps. She's the perfect all-around skater.

That said, I wanted to chime in about 6.0's for technical, that one is very very very hard to get, moreso than presentation (and I'm talking internationally, not at home). I can only recall a handful of female skaters receiving a 6.0 for technical ~ Midori Ito of course, as has already been explained, and Tonya Harding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP3Dj0DraQ), and also Irina Slutskaya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SXO6s3MCDw). Btw, Irina's second 3/3 was obviously underrotated by a half. With COP it would be interesting. If all these skaters were still skating today, I would only give Tonya & Midori 6.0's for technical, for obvious reasons (however Midori's leg wrap poses a challenge, as it is bad technique, yet her rotations are complete, thus I'd still give it to her). :)^)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry for going off-topic, as I know this thread is supposed to be about the American ladies, please indulge me. :)

But I just wanted to say that as a skating fan it is exciting for me to see someone like Mao Asada come along that can do the 3Axel jump. Yes, 90% of the time it is 1/4 turn short, which is acceptable, versus Tonya & Midori's 100% complete rotations, however one has to admit Mao's are prettier & more balletic, so all in all both sides come out fair imho.

What I'm excited about is her potential to do not only an 8-triple program for the first time in women's f.s. history, but to also do it with superior presentation/PCS marks, something that frankly neither Tonya nor Midori excelled in, though they made up for it with their own unique virtuoso skating style. Whereas Mao has the potential to perform the most difficult program ever done by a female, combined with the most artistic, thereby shattering all records. Heck, if it was the old system, I could even see her tieing T&D with perfect marks for both presentation & artistic, which hasn't been done yet by either a man or a woman.

In order for her to complete this program "fit for the gods" she has to get those 3/3s under control with complete rotations on each jump, as well as the correct take off edge on her lutz, which she has shown in the past she is more than capable of doing. Of course her single jumps are no problem when it comes to complete rotations, however for the most part they are average in terms of height, so I don't see her getting +3 on GOE the way Yuna Kim deservedly does, but +1s or +2s are more than acceptable. Add in a masterpiece program that only she can do, perfectly suited for her, and the sky's the limit!!!!!

Now it's up to Mao to see if she can do it within the next four years...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
flattfan, half 6.0's for presentation and a couple for tech would be the most in Olympic history. Did any skater ever get more then 6 or 7 perfect scores on Olympic ice? I am not talking about Russian Natls, but the big show.

Not even in inflated Russia where a program got 150. At the 2005 Worlds, Irina barely got 130 with a 7 triples. (one was invalid, but still)
That was ridiculous scoring in Vancouver by any standard. I don't know if anyone actually think it's the best program in history to warrant that kind of score that no one ever gotten, even at Nationals. Irina never got 140 in Russia, Mao never got 140 in Japan. Rachael Flatt never got 140 in the US. :biggrin:

Let's look at 2006, Arakawa skated to one of the best LPs in a long time and got what, 125. Less than Laura Lepisto, less than Mirai Nagasu, less than Joannie Rochette in 2010? Really? Arakawa program is leaps and bounds better.

Anyway, there will be some US ladies who will challenge Mao for the gold medal in 2014.

Nadine, you've put your finger on why I'm both a Mao fan and a Yuna fan. Mao is an athlete with the soul and grace of an artist, and YuNa has jumps of a height and length that can take a viewer's breath away. How amazing to have two such spectacular skaters competing at the same time. And--in a good version of a perfect storm--they both took part in one of the most stunning Olympic Games ever, with a fall-free top flight of skaters. If there's ever a Platonic ideal skating competition in some celestial realm, containing the best performances ever (Michelle's 1998 Nationals programs, something grand by Arakawa, the best of Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun renditions), YuNa's and Mao's programs from this Olympics are good candidates for that mighty line-up. (Though I'd also vote for Mao's exhibition tango, as many of you probably would.)

Nigel

On the Ice
Nadine, you've put your finger on why I'm both a Mao fan and a Yuna fan. Mao is an athlete with the soul and grace of an artist, and YuNa has jumps of a height and length that can take a viewer's breath away. How amazing to have two such spectacular skaters competing at the same time. And--in a good version of a perfect storm--they both took part in one of the most stunning Olympic Games ever, with a fall-free top flight of skaters. If there's ever a Platonic ideal skating competition in some celestial realm, containing the best performances ever (Michelle's 1998 Nationals programs, something grand by Arakawa, the best of Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun renditions), YuNa's and Mao's programs from this Olympics are good candidates for that mighty line-up. (Though I'd also vote for Mao's exhibition tango, as many of you probably would.)

Can we get back to the US athletes?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Anyway, there will be some US ladies who will challenge Mao for the gold medal in 2014.

I’m starting to wonder if Mao will be in Sochi. She is a living goddess in Japan, as well as several other places. She will never have to worry about money. She can go to any college she wants to. ( She can probably BUY any college she wants to. ) She can go anywhere she wants to, do anything she wants to, when she wants to. Will her life improve that much if she wins in Sochi?

Can we get back to the US athletes?

If we must. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
And to help steer the thread back on topic, here's an FSO article on Christina Gao:

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/09/14/gao-looking-for-her-zone-after-breakout-season/

Christina Gao is in Austria for her first Junior Grand Prix event of the season and she is feeling confident after a productive summer in Toronto.

“I feel like I’ve made a lot of improvements [this summer],” Gao said. She landed her triple flip-triple toe combination at both Skate Detroit and Thornhill, where she debuted her senior and junior programs, respectively. Look for the triple-triple in both her short and free programs this season.

[snip]

Gao doesn’t set goals for herself in terms of placement, but wants to be physically and mentally prepared for every competition this season.

“I’m trying to figure out how to get in my zone and stay in my zone,” she said. Having coach Brian Orser with her at competitions helps her stay calm. At the 2010 World Junior Championships, Gao said her first practice didn’t go as well as she hoped, which caused her to panic and not to do her best.

“When you go to a competition you have to be able to adjust mentally, to adjust to the rink and the little things that mess with your mind,” she said.

[snip]

School recently started for Gao as well, although there were no school buses or homeroom teachers involved. Gao is a junior in high school this year, through an online program with her school in Cincinnati. She appreciates how flexible the online program is for her.

“I can get a good night’s sleep during the weekdays and then work really hard on weekends,” she said. Typically, Gao is on the ice for 3.5 hours each weekday, with an easier regimen Saturday and she gets to take Sundays off.

“My parents always tell me that school is really important,” she said. “I have to make sure I study hard as well as skate.”

[snip]

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Christina seems to be a talented young lady. Though she has only won Regionals and Sectionals so far, she is developing quite a fan base.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Christina seems to be a talented young lady. Though she has only won Regionals and Sectionals so far, she is developing quite a fan base.

Didn't Christina medal at the Jr GPF last season? And finishing 5th at her first Natls was pretty good too.

Just a couple of seasons ago Christina wasn't even on the map finishing 12th or 13th at regionals so her progress the last 18 months has been quite amazing.

She skates tomorrow and it will be interesting to see how she does.

Go Christina

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Yes, Christina was 3rd in both her JGPs and also in the final last season.

Good luck to her tomorrow. I like her skating and she seems to be a really nice girl.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Olympia, I know you mean well, but I wanted to let you know that for the most part we see things completely different. :) Oksana Baiul will always be the most naturally gifted artistic lady skater for me (though she may tie with Sonja Henie in this regards from everything I have ever read).

Now back on topic, and to stay on topic from here on in, yes, I'm still looking for the next Tonya Harding when it comes to technical difficulty. She was the best ever imho when it comes to the history of ladies technical figure skating, and that includes everybody no matter whence they come, be it Europe, Asia, North America, South America, et al. Naturally gifted athlete, correct technique, power, speed, edges, and on & on & on. My wish is that she would coach the upcoming American ladies to do it right with complete rotations, correct technique, as Mishin does with his pupils. After Tonya, it seems that's when the Americans started going downhill in this regards ~ tiny jumps ala Kristi Yamaguchi, relying on quick rotations like Tara Lipinski, and underrotating like my all-time favorite Sarah Hughes.

For the most part juniors don't excite me, nor underdeveloped lady skaters, as I want to see them fully matured before I get excited about their skating, though I do glance into those threads every now & then to look for a Tonya Harding...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO U.S.A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Does anybody else remember Yebin Mok? I do because her jumps were gorgeous with correct technique, height, straight back, etc. I was so excited about her I recall I even donated some money to her skating via a Paypal link. Her 3L was the best one out of ALL the American ladies, and rightfully so, but unfortunately she faded away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv6n5EQq3U