Page 51 of 81 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually better now than it used to be, given that the issue of eating disorders, etc. is now more public than ever.

Nevertheless, judging by many comments in this thread (and in other threads), we've still a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGGG way to go.
    That's pretty sad that it used to be worse than it is now. It really seems like too most people today just don't have a good relationship with food, as people with eating disorders are obsessed with food, most obese people are obsessed with food, most diets promote obsession with food, and gastic bypass and other similar surgeries force recipients to be obsessed with food. It kind of sucks.

Down With It
    It's just a guess on my part, though- I have no statistics to back it up. But I would imagine in the old days this stuff went on, but was swept under the rug whereas nowadays with greater public awareness, there is a bit more scrutiny. Obviously, people still favor stick-figures in skating and that's ingrained in the culture. That's something that's probably not going to change. Hopefully the slights and put-downs toward those NOT the "desired" size disappear, though. Not everyone has the same body type. Not everyone can be thin and healthy at the same time.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    That being said, the blame lies on a normalcy-obsessed society, NOT on the skaters that have "abnormal" bodies.
    I would re-phrase that to say "the blame lies on a perfection-obsessed society, NOT on the skaters that have normal bodies." All the ladies mentioned in this thread are well within the range of "normal".

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Biology isn't always destiny.
    I absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    The reality is that modern society is obsessed with body image regardless of what sports or activities people take place in. Celebrities, singers, etc are viewed in terms of their body types all the time. There are magazines everywhere advertising weight loss and full of pictures of airbrushed photos of men and woman who fit the modern definition of being "beautiful". While this concept can contain people of many different shapes and sizes, in general people get the idea that taller and skinner is better, and if you're lucky enough to be tall and thin and still have some curves if your a girl and muscle definition if you're a guy, then that's even better. There are forums like this where posters argue about the height and weight of celebrities all the time. The media is everywhere, you can't really escape it, and everyone has their own opinion of what they consider attractive, fat, cute, etc. That's just life in 2010, there are so many people suffering from obesity and eating disorders but nothing really has yet to change.

Frank Carroll tells his students "You can eat or you can compete" and he's right. Yeah, Yuna Kim eats cereal for dinner every night and that kind of blows but it brought her to the top of the sport and as long as she's not suffering from an eating disorder than I think it just shows her discipline and can be seen as one of the sacrifices she made to be the best.
    Sorry, but you're not making much sense to me. It seems you are one of the posters on here who talk about and try to make predictions based on body shapes more than the average skating fan...but in the last few posts you went from blaming certain fans' nitpicking skaters' bodies on the skaters (rather than admonishing the behaviour itself), then you jumped to the topic of eating choices.

First of all, body shapes are not determined solely by diet.

Second, I also do not find it...wise that certain people try to overly scrutinize body types to see what someone might/might not be able to do. Nor do I find it appropriate to talk about how "filled-in" or "curvy" various teenage skaters' bodies are.

Third, it's absolutely not their fault, it's ours, since we can control what we say whereas control over bodily development (curves or no curves) is much more limited; and hopefully they aren't skating because they want to show off their bodies and hopefully we aren't fans because we want to ogle them.

Custom Title
    I haven't gotten much sleep this whole week, so i don't think i've been making sense for awhile. my bad. but who knows, maybe in future days we will commonly see ladies figure skaters who are 5'10" or built like Serena Wiliams

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    For a moment I thought I entered Miss Usa thread...

If people don't want their bodies to be critiqued, then they should not have become involved in the sport of figure skating where girls skate in front of large audiences in skimpy little outfits and tights and guys in form fitting suits and unitards. I'm just saying. The same thing goes for ballet, gymnastics, swimming, or any sport requiring the athlete to wear little or form fitting clothing; they pretty much signed up to have their bodies critiqued when they became serious about one of the above activities..
    You left beach - volley out..You think they have the option of competing with their pyjamas if they wanted to? Besides parents, coaches and their own insecurities they have also to think about what an audience would think of their bodies when they will go in through puberty? That looks wrong to me.
    Whatever the comments, the athletes are not fat or even close to it, you cant be training at these sports with extra fat, so what people usually do is criticize their body type which is not in their hands to control. I dont think Flatt eats more than Yuna, or Sasha less than Elena G. (who by the way is very little framed live and looks gorgeous). Sasha maybe has the ideal type for the petite dresses on ice but off ice she is not too small, we dont need all girls to be of this size.

Custom Title
    Skating is a bit of a beauty contest lol . But seriously, thank goodness skating is not like ballet, where you have to have a certain body type , feet and legs to be professional. We have seen all shapes over the recent decades be champions!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    Skating is a bit of a beauty contest lol . But seriously, thank goodness skating is not like ballet, where you have to have a certain body type , feet and legs to be professional. We have seen all shapes over the recent decades be champions!
    Very good point, although ballet companies these days are changing too, at least the more contemporary companies. Europeans seems to be the one isu competition where beauty seems to play the biggest factor, but maybe that's just because usually most of the ladies there don't skate up to their potential at that competition.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    I agree. The thing with activities like dance and skating is that the most important thing is to have an athletic body. If you are not a natural athlete, no juice no matter how skinny you are.
    But in ballet - you also have to have the exact right build. I remember in my ballet school there was an adult student who was so wide she almost looked obese. And she was great! Her jetes were so high and in perfect splits. I'm not kidding. So body type doesn't necessarily mean you can't perform difficult moves in ballet. But to aspire to be join a professional ballet company, you also have to have perfect lines and that is where body type comes in. I remember this other girl who was an amazing ballerina at my school. She could do fouette turns forever ... but she was about 4 feet nine inches and she was not growing anymore. So, forget it, at least for the very top ballet companies.

One of the things that I really like about figure skating it that it accomodates various body types. Perhaps less and less these days with skaters being pressured to bend like preztles. But Joannie Rochette and Mao Asada have very different builds - they both look terrific and it doesn't matter that they are not clones.

I'm going to start this thread up again to say congrats to Christina for getting in the JGPF with a second medal at JGP Germany today! I am impressed that she still got 155+ WITH TWO FALLS. (one in the SP (no combo!) and one in the FP). The international judges are really digging Gao.

Also really cool that the American girls have swept the silver medals so far. (Of course, I'd would have like one of them to WIN, but this is the next best thing.)'

ETA: Put in the overall score to reflect apples to apples.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I'm going to start this thread up again to say congrats to Christina for getting in the JGPF with a second medal at JGP Germany today! I am impressed that she still got 108+ WITH TWO FALLS. (one in the SP (no combo!) and one in the FP). The international judges are really digging Gao.

Also really cool that the American girls have swept the silver medals so far. (Of course, I'd would have like one of them to WIN, but this is the next best thing.)
    I am also really impressed with Gao this season, it seems like she has really worked on her presentation and maturity and it shows. The US ladies will likely have a hard time winning silver in the Czech Republic next week as it is a loaded field, but who knows, it still could happen. I really hope to see Gao compete at some senior international events this season, be it 4CC or Worlds or both, as I'm curious to see how she would place among the senior ladies. Yasmin Siraj also put up a big score in Sheffield last week and is poised to make a splash at nationals this season and maybe even medal. Nice to see so much fresh new talent !

I am also really impressed with Gao this season, it seems like she has really worked on her presentation and maturity and it shows. The US ladies will likely have a hard time winning silver in the Czech Republic next week as it is a loaded field, but who knows, it still could happen. I really hope to see Gao compete at some senior international events this season, be it 4CC or Worlds or both, as I'm curious to see how she would place among the senior ladies. Yasmin Siraj also put up a big score in Sheffield last week and is poised to make a splash at nationals this season and maybe even medal. Nice to see so much fresh new talent !

Indeed! Yasmin has wonderful qualities. Nationals could be very interesting. And it'll be so interesting to see who ends up being a factor in Sochi. I'm pretty hopeful for a great 2014 U.S. ladies team. If only we just get those three spots back. But I'm pretty hopeful about that, too.

Down With It
    Yes, let's hope. I still think it will take another season for the newcomers to show up, but then again- 4 years is a long time and one of two things happen: the current crop raises their game, or flatlines while the newcomers struggle with growth and consistency, then fall off the radar, or the newcomers completely wipe the current crop off the map, as happened in 2008.

Custom Title
    Guess I'm seeing the cup as half-empty where you are seeing it as half-full, but so far, Gao does not impress me all that much. She may have improved, but even with improvements plus a year of intl Junior competition under her belt already, it's still not good enough to beat the 13- and 14-year old Russian girls who just entered the scene. IMO, Gao still skates far more juniorish than I'd expect for a 16-year old who's been skating as long as she has. I hope we DON'T see her at Sr intl competition this year--she'd get eaten up alive. (Well, maybe she'd do OK in a depleted field at 4 Continents, but I never take that competition too seriously anyway.) I doubt that she will be a podium threat at US Nationals unless the bigger guns shoot themselves in the foot, but even if she does, if I were on the committee, there's no way I'd send her to Sr Worlds in 2011. I think she's being eyed for Jr. Worlds though. Sorry to be a party pooper, but I see a lot more upside future potential in Siraj.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Guess I'm seeing the cup as half-empty where you are seeing it as half-full, but so far, Gao does not impress me all that much. She may have improved, but even with improvements plus a year of intl Junior competition under her belt already, it's still not good enough to beat the 13- and 14-year old Russian girls who just entered the scene. IMO, Gao still skates far more juniorish than I'd expect for a 16-year old who's been skating as long as she has. I hope we DON'T see her at Sr intl competition this year--she'd get eaten up alive. (Well, maybe she'd do OK in a depleted field at 4 Continents, but I never take that competition too seriously anyway.) I doubt that she will be a podium threat at US Nationals unless the bigger guns shoot themselves in the foot, but even if she does, if I were on the committee, there's no way I'd send her to Sr Worlds in 2011. I think she's being eyed for Jr. Worlds though. Sorry to be a party pooper, but I see a lot more upside future potential in Siraj.
    I agree. Christina has improved since Nationals but the Russian juniors are just too good! Besides Siraj, I also see potential in Nina Jiang, whom I feel has more polish despite being younger than Christina.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I think we just have wait and see if Christina's weaknesses are too ingrained or if she is a late bloomer who will peak closer to her late teens and early 20s. It usually doesn't happen that way but there are times. Nancy Kerrigan and Irina Slutskaya, for example.

Here is Irina at, I believe, 16, skating at junior worlds the same year a younger Michelle Kwan barely missed the podium at senior worlds. Irina won juniors. Still, she wasn't nearly the skater she became by the time she won her first world championship six years later and certainly no where near the level she was when she won her second worlds with an amazing skate 10 years later!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iL1ge_Bsuo

Page 51 of 81 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast