U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 51 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

^ I have mixed feelings about that, if true.

On the one hand, it would be good for Alissa to get in another competition without too much pressure. On the other, if she won, that would knock out some aspiring youngster.

I am pretty sure the USFSA will be able to come up with some coda to section 29(a), paragraph 39(c).

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Mirai can totally win CoC this week but she'll have to be on her game as she has Ando and Suzuki as competition, and maybe even Leonova though in my mind Mirai is way superior. Should be an exciting competition, I expect it will be a battle between Mirai and Miki for the gold, Akiko and Alena to make the podium, and then the rest of the competition should also be exciting as we have a lot of comparable ladies - Joshi, Amanda, Kristiene, Min-Jung, etc so the competition between those ladies should also be fun to watch.

I dunno... in theory Nagasu would have a strong chance at winning, but she has been injured. She has lost training time. I expect her to show more like Zhang and Wagner than Flatt and Czisny, to be honest.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I dunno... in theory Nagasu would have a strong chance at winning, but she has been injured. She has lost training time. I expect her to show more like Zhang and Wagner than Flatt and Czisny, to be honest.

I dunno, Mirai would have to have a pretty epic meltdown to score 90 in the FS, let alone 83...

kalle

On the Ice
I finally found a video of Vanessa Lam's JGP LP in Ostrava:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-1XWXuvh8I

I have never seen her before but what a pleasant surprise!
Even though she seems to be a bit shy she gave it all and with some attitude too. Her arms are beautiful and good speed over the ice.

I like it :love:

Will she compete with at Sr nationals this year?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Skate Canada: CHECK.

Up next, GO MIRAI! :)

You've been right thus far, Mathman! *clapping*

I too agree that the American Ladies are going to set the world on fire this season. Lol, each time I think of this I can't help but sing one of my fav songs from the movie "Circle of Eight", Soul on Fire:

I'm gonna set my soul on fire
My heart beats low while the flames grow higher
Strike the match and then the truth is told
I'm gonna set my soul on fire

The Devil made me a woman, I ain't no liar
Her eyes burn black like a lake of fire
She struck the match and then I sold my soul
For the black haired girl from the lake of fire

My heart beats low while the flames go higher
Strike the match and then the truth is told
I just set my soul on fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVsGijzB-A :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO U.S.A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sylvia

Record Breaker

Even though she seems to be a bit shy she gave it all and with some attitude too. Her arms are beautiful and good speed over the ice.

Yes, Vanessa Lam is scheduled to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals in 2 weeks to qualify for her first Nationals at the Senior level. Thanks for the video link, kalle!

janetfan

Match Penalty

Thanks for the clip Kalle - I like her too.
Haven't seen Vanessa before and read an older article that says one of her coaches is former WC and OSM Dianne DeLeeuw.

Wow - Vanessa Lam is wonderful. I'll take her over Christina Gao any day. What beautiful line and expressiveness. She really knows how to perform, and she's fast! I wish her luck at her Senior qualifier!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I like how Lam has so much snap to her jumps. The only thing I worry about is that she's still really tiny and relying on quick rotation to do her triples, if she has a growthspurt that could hurt her jumps, and judging from the length of her arms she probably will have a big growthspurt soon.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here are some interesting thoughts about Mirai and Frank from AJ's blog:

"Mirai Nagasu is magical enough to be declared a heartbreaker. While some may point to this competition being another example of her collapsing in the long program, it is important to note that she has just started doing full runthroughs. Mirai is nowhere near where Frank wants her to be."

"Mr. Carroll has done wonders with her overall skating polish and her jumps are now higher and rotated (even that triple loop.) Unfortunately, Mirai needs discipline and time. It is unlikely that she will improve dramatically by the time she competes in Paris, but she should be in fighting form for late in the season."

"This won't give her experience handling being the favorite, because it is evident that Mirai knew she was unprepared when she took the ice for both programs. Weight she gained while off the ice has yet to evaporate off her bones. Frank had to remind her to "believe in herself."

"Mirai is about where one should expected to be. I joked to friends that she'd probably pull off a clean short and then the emperor would have no clothes in the free. It turned out to be prophetic. Mirai's overall musicality, excitement, speed and quality is so brilliant that the judges will reward her when she manages to arrive prepared, trained and confident."

"Hopefully getting her there will not age Frank Carroll a decade in the process."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Here is Mirai's exhibition skate from COC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gOkXbi8Ojk

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
After 4 GP events, it appears that we may have one lady (Flatt) qualify for the GPF. It's about time, really.

Czisny has a win but a tough GP ahead. I think she can still finish as low as 4th and stay in the hunt. Nagasu must win TEB to have any chance at all.

Zhang, Wagner, Gilles- out of it.

I think now you can see front-runners beginning to emerge.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought it was interesting that NBC opened the show with coverage on Kanako. Before jumping to the Men's LP coverage they talked about skating's exciting new star and how she is just the right age to peak at Sochi. Then they showed her SP but none of the other Ladies SP's.

I guess NBC still believes in Ladies skating as being the #1 interest to US fans - just not necessarily the American girls who were at SA.

Those disappointed in the score have to realize Alissa can win with a 5 triple LP but it is doubtful if Rachael can.
I think she needs her 3x3's to win and hopefully will have them back in time for the GPF.
Her flip looks much better this season and don't know why she doesn't go back to the 3F+3T combo?

Rachael did do an interview at the end of the broadcast and seemed pretty upbeat, mentioned her injury and that she is excited for a chance to compete in the GPF.

I thought it was interesting that NBC opened the show with coverage on Kanako. Before jumping to the Men's LP coverage they talked about skating's exciting new star and how she is just the right age to peak at Sochi. Then they showed her SP but none of the other Ladies SP's.

Well, she skated the best and most entertaining short program by far. I think this is standard operating procedure by NBC -- to start the coverage of the ladies LP by showing the best short program.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, she skated the best and most entertaining short program by far. I think this is standard operating procedure by NBC -- to start the coverage of the ladies LP by showing the best short program.

I think at other GP's they do that but thought at SA they would focus on the USA skaters. They did gush over Armin - who deserved it - but were quiet about the USA ladies. At one point Scott did say "reliable Rachael" which is much different than proclaiming Kanako the hottest new skater on the scene and a favorite for the next Olympics.

I am not praisng NBC or upset with them. It made sense to show Kanako's SP to kick start the show due to a lack of excitement from the USA Ladies SP's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's a bit strange (ironic in a way) that NBC has been less willing to toot the USA horn and hype our ladies than ABC (and ESPN) was...

miki88

Medalist
I think at other GP's they do that but thought at SA they would focus on the USA skaters. They did gush over Armin - who deserved it - but were quiet about the USA ladies. At one point Scott did say "reliable Rachael" which is much different than proclaiming Kanako the hottest new skater on the scene and a favorite for the next Olympics.I am not praisng NBC or upset with them. It made sense to show Kanako's SP to kick start the show due to a lack of excitement from the USA Ladies SP's.

Wow, did he really say that? I like Kanako but it's way too early to tell. Plus, her jump content is not nearly as impressive as some of the Russian juniors have shown or even Gao, who all will be eligible by Sochi. :)

burntBREAD

Medalist
Wow, did he really say that? I like Kanako but it's way too early to tell. Plus, her jump content is not nearly as impressive as some of the Russian juniors have shown or even Gao, who all will be eligible by Sochi. :)

It's too easy to use hyperbole.

In 2006, IIRC, Johnny Weir thought Elene Gedevanishvili would win Olympic gold last year!