U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Mirai does not want to win the bronze at next year's Nationals. :cry:

OK, perhaps a bit harsh. But the competition will be fierce next year. And I really do think the titanic struggle for those 2 spots will begin in October.

SIDE NOTE : The Golden West event has concluded in California. A poster over at FSUniverse reported that Caroline worked the bake sale. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
SIDE NOTE : The Golden West event has concluded in California. A poster over at FSUniverse reported that Caroline worked the bake sale. :)

Did she compete?

OK, perhaps a bit harsh. But the competition will be fierce next year. And I really do think the titanic struggle for those 2 spots will begin in October.

While it would be in their best interest to put their best foot forward, I think at the end of the day it's going to come down to who brings it at Nationals. We just have to hope the judging is fair, that's all.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai does not want to win the bronze at next year's Nationals. :cry:

Good one PolyBob :) I completely agree about Natls........

BTW, is it such good news that Caroline again has been spotted around baked goods? ;)
Isn't she supposed to be in training now and not stuffing herself with cakes...gasp! :laugh:

Did she compete at GW? I am looking forward to seeing her new programs and hope she has a great season.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline won the event 2 years ago with a massive score, but she did not compete this year. It sounds like she was just helping out.

EDIT : I'm not too sure why she did not compete. It sounded like she skated very well at Champs Camp, and there seems to have been enough time between the 2 events. I guess Miss Tammy must know what she's doing.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
At the Olympics or Worlds, being #4 vs. #5, 6, 7 doesn't mean anything. You didn't medal. You are just like the other losers.
It was as simple as that, why is janetfan still having trouble understanding this? :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
At the Olympics or Worlds, being #4 vs. #5, 6, 7 doesn't mean anything. You didn't medal. You are just like the other losers.
It was as simple as that, why is janetfan still having trouble understanding this? :)

Just the way I am........ and since Rachael is the first US Ladies Champion NOT to medal at the Olympics since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1964,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the first Olympics after the air tragedy of '61 - I tend to think she was a disappointment in Vancouver and more so in Torino.

Even a 15 year old Peggy Fleming - who had lost her coach finished 6th at '64 Olympics. I guess in your world if Rachael bombs then placements don't matter. Others might feel differently.

Mirai let down at Worlds but as our Natl Silver medalist her performance in Vancouver was quite good and acceptable at Worlds. Too bad we didn't send Mirai and Ashley to Worlds because Ashley might have given us a stronger team.

I think placements at Worlds do mean something flatfan - and you know very well Rachael's 9th place finish was instrumental in keeping USA from get the third spot back.

Sure Mirai could have finished 3rd or 4th but the truth is Flat was like an anchor around her neck. Since when is it the job of the 16 year old Silver medalist competing at her first Sr Worlds to carry the team? Not in my universe :sheesh:

Good luck to all of the USA Ladies - it is a new season. The streak is over and we will see who starts it back up in 2014. Pretty sure who it won't be :)

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Just the way I am........ and since Rachael is the first US Ladies Champion NOT to medal at the Olympics since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1964,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the first Olympics after the air tragedy of '61 - I tend to think she was a disappointment in Vancouver and more so in Torino.
Are you serious? Then let's look at it this way. She did a 7 triples LP, 3 triples SP in Vancouver. Which US girls have done so since EVER? Since 1964, there aren't any podium locks that aren't from the US. That's the difference between those years and 2010. It's not her fault there are better girls outside of the US. Had Mao Asada and co. competed in 1968, 72, 76, 80, 84, 88, 92, 94, 98, 2002, 2006, NONE of the US Ladies champion would medal. Ok? Capisci?

Mirai let down at Worlds but as our Natl Silver medalist her performance in Vancouver was quite good and acceptable at Worlds. Too bad we didn't send Mirai and Ashley to Worlds because Ashley might have given us a stronger team.
Mirai was quite overscored. And Ashley probably wouldn't make the LP. Ashley skipped Jr. World because Ashley couldn't handle the pressure or was injured or something. Logically speaking, there's no way they would leave Flatt at home.

I think placements at Worlds do mean something flatfan - and you know very well Rachael's 9th place finish was instrumental in keeping USA from get the third spot back.
No, I don't. A few jumps were DGed randomly. I didn't get why until I read the protocol.

Sure Mirai could have finished 3rd or 4th but the truth is Flat was like an anchor around her neck. Since when is it the job of the 16 year old Silver medalist competing at her first Sr Worlds to carry the team? Not in my universe :sheesh:
Mirai bombed big time. Between the two girls, she was the bigger disappointment. She was 1st in the SP, and then 12th in the LP.

Good luck to all of the USA Ladies - it is a new season. The streak is over and we will see who starts it back up in 2014. Pretty sure who it won't be :)
Then what's with all the snide remarks? It's a new season, let it go. :rolleye:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Mirai was quite overscored. And Ashley probably wouldn't make the LP. Ashley skipped Jr. World because Ashley couldn't handle the pressure or was injured or something. Logically speaking, there's no way they would leave Flatt at home.

"Ashley couldn't handle the pressure"? I don't see how Ashley was being pressured. And she would have definately made the LP at Worlds. I don't know where you got that idea from.

Mirai bombed big time. Between the two girls, she was the bigger disappointment. She was 1st in the SP, and then 12th in the LP.

I think Rachael was the biggest disappointment. She was the national champion and everyone relied on her for being super consistent.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Are you serious? Then what's with all the snide remarks? It's a new season, let it go. :rolleye:

Yes, I was serious. :yes:
Snide remarks :think:

You brought it up and sorry for telling it like it is.

Your excuses about the judging and everything else don't change the facts. :disagree:

Good luck to Rachael and all of the USA Ladies this season. I hope they all have good seasons and skate their best.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

Of course, if there hadn't been that weird judging back at last year's Nationals, we would have likely won back our 3 spots, and sent Rachael, Mirai AND Ashley to Worlds. :p

FlattFan

Match Penalty
"Ashley couldn't handle the pressure"? I don't see how Ashley was being pressured. And she would have definately made the LP at Worlds. I don't know where you got that idea from.
She was injured and dropped out of Jr. World. Miki didn't do too well in 2008, yes? :rolleye:

I think Rachael was the biggest disappointment. She was the national champion and everyone relied on her for being super consistent.
She had one off night. Who cares? How many off nights do Miki have again? Speaking of disappointment, how's Miki doing?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yes, I was serious. :yes:
Snide remarks :think:

You brought it up and sorry for telling it like it is.

Your excuses about the judging and everything else don't change the facts. :disagree:

Good luck to Rachael and all of the USA Ladies this season. I hope they all have good seasons and skate their best.

You brought up the Envelop A Tier 1 or 2 or something and said it was ridiculous that Rachael got Tier 1 and Mirai got Tier 2 and Mirai was so much better because her placements at the Olympics and Worlds were off the podium, but still better. Did you forget what you write? Kept on bringing it up again and again and again, and then when called out, you resorted back to the "good luck to all the girls, new season, new start." I didn't bring anything up. Read your posts and my posts again.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
You brought up the Envelop A Tier 1 or 2 or something and said it was ridiculous that Rachael got Tier 1 and Mirai got Tier 2 and Mirai was so much better because her placements at the Olympics and Worlds were off the podium, but still better. Did you forget what you write? Kept on bringing it up again and again and again, and then when called out, you resorted back to the "good luck to all the girls, new season, new start." I didn't bring anything up. Read your posts and my posts again.

Let's not start with the who-did-it-first argument. Both of you need to get over yourselves and understand that this discussion isn't about either of you; it's about the skaters.

janetfan

Match Penalty

No, you are wrong as PolymerBob brought up the envelopes.

Let's see if anyone cares about skating and new programs. A new season, remember?

What are your thoughts about SOTA, or what a new 3x3 from Rachael might do for her scores this season?

Or if Ashley has fixed up a few things and shows consistency what it will mean to the other USA Ladies. Or even internationally. Will Caroline bounce back? Is Christina for real? Will Mirai make a full recovery?

Anything seems more interesting than your undying love for the "mistreated" Rachael. :p

So share a few thoughts about your favorite and let's see what others think.

I will start it off for you. :)
I think Rachael was wise to move away from classical music. I think she can show some personality and use a peppy presentation better suited to her skating style with jazzier music.

If she skates clean she can remain a force in US skating. I think it will be harder for her internationaly but hope she proves me wrong this season.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
She was injured and dropped out of Jr. World. Miki didn't do too well in 2008, yes? :rolleye:

Yes, but unfortunately, Miki withdrew during her LP, plus she was the reigning World champion, which makes it even sadder.

She had one off night. Who cares? How many off nights do Miki have again?

Yeah, "one off night".

:rolleye:

Miki has had a few, unfortunately, but I have a feeling those days are over.

Speaking of disappointment, how's Miki doing?

Miki's great! Thanks for asking!

;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Of course, if there hadn't been that weird judging back at last year's Nationals, we would have likely won back our 3 spots, and sent Rachael, Mirai AND Ashley to Worlds. :p

I don't understand. You are saying the 2009 podium should have been 1. Rachael. 2. Ashley. 3. Alissa?

Isn't that debatable as Ashley bombed her SP? Was her LP really enough to catapult her over Alissa? If anything, it can be argued that it should have been 1. Rachael 2. Alissa. In which case the world team would have been the same.

Then, are you assuming that Ashley would have done well enough to help gain the three spots back? Maybe but that's a big if. I mean, I like Ashley and her skating but there is absolutely no reason to assume she would have skated clean enough to win back the three spots. It's just ask likely that she'd make enough mistakes in the short to leave her far down in the standings.

Ashley say she really wants to be on the team that wins the three spots back this year. I really wish her the best and for her to finally skate the way we all know she can at nationals. Rachael and Alissa, too. As Rachael and Mirai showed this year NONE of them are a sure bet to win the three spots back.

At the Olympics or Worlds, being #4 vs. #5, 6, 7 doesn't mean anything. You didn't medal.

Then, too, some people feel that way about winning the silver medal. You lost.

I look at it like this. At the beginning of the season Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline, Alissa and many others aspired to win the national championship, make the Olympic team, and win a medal. None of them did.

So...what this shows is that none of them, not Rachael, not Mirai, not Ashley, were as good -- relative to contemporary international standards -- as Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Linda Fratianne, Dorothy Hamill, Debi Thomas,...

Layfan

Record Breaker
Then, too, some people feel that way about winning the silver medal. You lost.

I look at it like this. At the beginning of the season Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline, Alissa and many others aspired to win the national championship, make the Olympic team, and win a medal. None of them did.

So...what this shows is that none of them, not Rachael, not Mirai, not Ashley, were as good -- relative to contemporary international standards -- as Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Linda Fratianne, Dorothy Hamill, Debi Thomas,...

.... Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen.... yes I agree :)

But let's see what they can do this year and in the run up to Sochi. I'm hopeful.

FlattFan
It was as simple as that, why is janetfan still having trouble understanding this?

But Rachael was over the moon about her 5th place finish at 2009 worlds and Mirai was overjoyed with ther 4th place finish at the Olympics. I don't think they thought as themselves as losers.
OTH, neither were happy with the way they placed at 2010 worlds. I think it does matter to them.

janetfan

Match Penalty
.... Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen.... yes I agree :)

But let's see what they can do this year and in the run up to Sochi. I'm hopeful.

But Rachael was over the moon about her 5th place finish at 2009 worlds and Mirai was overjoyed with ther 4th place finish at the Olympics. I don't think they thought as themselves as losers.
OTH, neither were happy with the way they placed at 2010 worlds. I think it does matter to them.

How they finish at Worlds also determines how many skaters qualify for the next Worlds.

Before Bob's point was that Caroline should have been atleast Silver in '08, and Alissa should have been third. He meant Rachael and Caroline should have been the US Natl team and Alissa should have stayed home.

Thus my reply to him: Go Caroline :)

ETA: You left off Nancy's Silver in '94

Last edited: