Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Nationals is special! So is this skater - and it was my favorite moment of the season
    Yeah, that's why I like her Nats performance(even with URs) more the the OG one.

Down With It
    It would have been even better if she actually won anyway, she still seemed really happy with her score, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    It would have been even better if she actually won anyway, she still seemed really happy with her score, which is good.
    Actually I think Mirai won quite alot.
    She won the crowd.
    She won the hearts of new fans across the US.
    She won new international fans.

Frank was just beaming at the boards and I think she won him over too.
    And she achieved her goal which was to win a spot on the US Olympic team.

Mirai also won over the NBC broadacasting crew who praised her skating far above the others.

And let's not forget her "winning" interviews where she had the press eating out of her hands.

She won an important sponser in Panasonic, who made it possible for her father to see her skate in Vancouver.

All things considered I would say Mirai delivered a winning performance at Nationals and then at the Olympics too.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-05-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    But regardless, I think a clean Wagner would have been marked ahead of a clean Nagasu, and that would be accomplished by giving Nagasu DGs in the freeskate.
    Maybe. But I am willing to give the technical caller the benefit of the doubt, at least for basic honesty.

I think he downgraded Mirai's jumps because he thought they were underrotated, not because he was jockeying for position trying to make Mirai come out between Rachael and Ashley.

The World podium is "res ipsa loquitur" as far as Tier 1 funding is concerned, but National champion is not.
    It depends on what the purpose of "Tier 1 funding" is.

Down With It
    With all this talk about "Tier 1" vs. "Tier 2", exactly how much money are we talking about? Is it that big of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    My point is, you can try to read into things but in the end, the top two finishers were the ones with the two best skates in 2010. Not the ones with the better results at the GP or any of the rest.
    I think the clearest test came in pairs. Dependable world top ten performers Inoue and Baldwin were barely nipped by Evora and Ladwig. Also, defending national champions McLaughlin and Brubaker were probably a better bet than E&L to do well in the Olympics, despite a poor nationals outing.

But Ladwig and Evora went and the others stayed home.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the clearest test came in pairs. Dependable world top ten performers Inoue and Baldwin were barely nipped by Evora and Ladwig. Also, defending national champions McLaughlin and Brubaker were probably a better bet than E&L to do well in the Olympics, despite a poor nationals outing.

But Ladwig and Evora went and the others stayed home.
    and as it turns out Mark and Amada had great skates in Vancouver, something I am not sure Keauna and Rockne would have been able to do.

Custom Title
    they women should skate for it.
    as far as funding goes-i don't think it has changed much.
    the reason why the US national champ "might" get a little easier , is because the expecations are usually higher for them in finishing at worlds, olympics, gp events and they have to STAY That way the NEXT skating season as well.
    the 2nd, 3rd place finishers don't usually have as high of expectations
    rachel going in to olympics probably( I don't know)--me guessing was expected a top 6 finish,
    mirai a top 10 finish.
    what happend mirai 4thshe was past national champ, rachel 7th.
    going into worlds (Both mirai and rachel could have medaled at worlds) possiblity of both,
    rachel might have thought had an easier shot-current national champ and been to worlds -was 5th in 09 , so moving up two spots wouldn't have been unheard of. so might have put more expectation on rachel to medal and most definite to stay in top 6.
    mirai probably top 10 at worlds, but due to olympic finish a medal and top 6 placement wouldn't have been unwelcome or out of range.
    the us champs are expected to finish up in top 5, 3 in all events they skate in even former national champs. winning us nationals is usually hard, recently i don't know since 2006.
    getting tier 1 might seem like it is easier for us national champ, but expecations are usually higher and pressure is usually harder. they can't come in Under the wire so to speak like the 2nd and 3rd and other place finishers.
    the national champs made a name for themselves , they are carrying the weight of the us on their shoulders so they have to skate like it this season and following season, they are expected to take win/losses/placements with responsiblity, honesty and integrity and not get upset if they don't get our use ready made excuse.
    yes, injuries might play a small part, but if you don't think through yourj program and /or allow injuries to get the best of you, you can't do your best under the circumstance.
    if you are hurt real bad you should pull out and not skate and risk further injury.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Actually I think Mirai won quite alot.

All things considered I would say Mirai delivered a winning performance at Nationals and then at the Olympics too.
    Here is a quick Monday morning riddle...... What does Mirai NOT want to win?

That is a tricky question on a Monday morning.

Probably not her first GP event as it is meaningless to peak so early in the season at such a mid-level event.

Maybe not an answer you will agree with
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-06-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Custom Title
    Mirai does not want to win the bronze at next year's Nationals.

OK, perhaps a bit harsh. But the competition will be fierce next year. And I really do think the titanic struggle for those 2 spots will begin in October.

SIDE NOTE : The Golden West event has concluded in California. A poster over at FSUniverse reported that Caroline worked the bake sale.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    SIDE NOTE : The Golden West event has concluded in California. A poster over at FSUniverse reported that Caroline worked the bake sale.
    Did she compete?

OK, perhaps a bit harsh. But the competition will be fierce next year. And I really do think the titanic struggle for those 2 spots will begin in October.
    While it would be in their best interest to put their best foot forward, I think at the end of the day it's going to come down to who brings it at Nationals. We just have to hope the judging is fair, that's all.
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Mirai does not want to win the bronze at next year's Nationals.

Good one PolyBob I completely agree about Natls........

BTW, is it such good news that Caroline again has been spotted around baked goods?
    Isn't she supposed to be in training now and not stuffing herself with cakes...gasp!

Did she compete at GW? I am looking forward to seeing her new programs and hope she has a great season.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Custom Title
    Caroline won the event 2 years ago with a massive score, but she did not compete this year. It sounds like she was just helping out.

EDIT : I'm not too sure why she did not compete. It sounded like she skated very well at Champs Camp, and there seems to have been enough time between the 2 events. I guess Miss Tammy must know what she's doing.
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 09-06-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Custom Title
    At the Olympics or Worlds, being #4 vs. #5, 6, 7 doesn't mean anything. You didn't medal. You are just like the other losers.
    It was as simple as that, why is janetfan still having trouble understanding this?

Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast