U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 8 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

Layfan

Record Breaker
I feel Christina Gao has made noticeable improvements in her overall skating since Nationals -- videos of her new programs at Skate Detroit in late July are linked in this post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ough-July-24th&p=512842&viewfull=1#post512842

Thanks - and she definitely has! She's definitely finishing off her moves much better. Much more mature. She still needs faster spins. Is there anything she can do about that or is that one of the you-have-it-or-don't kind of things?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
She still needs faster spins. Is there anything she can do about that or is that one of the you-have-it-or-don't kind of things?
I've heard Gao has been working on her spins. :) For any young skater, the key is to keep improving weaknesses and to progress at a pace that is natural for her/him.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I feel Christina Gao has made noticeable improvements in her overall skating since Nationals -- videos of her new programs at Skate Detroit in late July are linked in this post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ough-July-24th&p=512842&viewfull=1#post512842

Thanks Sylvia. Christina's progress in the last two years has been amazing. I like her LP alot. And those jumps look so nice.
I think her spins look better and her musicality and style is pleasing.
She is also Orser's # 1 girl now. Think of all the extra attention she will get now!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Christina is being developed and trained in CoP land. Wilson will know her strengths inside-out and will know how to emphasize them and hide her weaknesses. Orser has to get her spins better but her jumps look nice. I think this season she is bringing a 3F+3T. She may also have the advantage of training with the same team for the whole Olympic cycle.

I like her.......where is silverlake :)

:laugh: Right here! And yes likely Christina will be the next "big thing", or at least share that title with Mirai. I know Flatt is landing 3lz-3lo and all that but at this point I don't see her really making a breakthrough into the top echelon of international ladies until she improves her speed, posture, flexibility/lines, and spins (sorry to be blunt).

Christina doesn't have the best spins and she isn't a gumby doll either, but somehow I feel like she can learn to improve her spins, spirals, and flexibility if she just devotes some time to it. Yuna has never been a gumby doll and had very poor spiral positions and some inflexible spin positions (in her junior days hit sit spin didn't sit that much and she didn't include biellman in layback), but she managed to improve them to the point where she gets high +GOE on them without having to become a rubber band. Christina's layback has already improved a lot and I think she's getting the hang of the donut spin now, mostly she just needs to work on centering her spins and rotating faster. Her 3f-3t seems pretty solid, and she's usually pretty consistent/reliable in competition. She's still a little gangly sure but at least this season she's making an effort in her costumes, makeup, and choreography to look more mature. In a couple years she'll probably end up being built like Yuna and she'll just look willowy instead of angular. We'll see how she fairs this season but she seems to have her head in the right place, further, I don't think she's had any serious injuries in awhile which is a good sign.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh: Right here! And yes likely Christina will be the next "big thing", or at least share that title with Mirai. I know Flatt is landing 3lz-3lo and all that but at this point I don't see her really making a breakthrough into the top echelon of international ladies until she improves her speed, posture, flexibility/lines, and spins (sorry to be blunt).

Christina doesn't have the best spins and she isn't a gumby doll either, but somehow I feel like she can learn to improve her spins, spirals, and flexibility if she just devotes some time to it. Yuna has never been a gumby doll and had very poor spiral positions and some inflexible spin positions (in her junior days hit sit spin didn't sit that much and she didn't include biellman in layback), but she managed to improve them to the point where she gets high +GOE on them without having to become a rubber band. Christina's layback has already improved a lot and I think she's getting the hang of the donut spin now, mostly she just needs to work on centering her spins and rotating faster. Her 3f-3t seems pretty solid, and she's usually pretty consistent/reliable in competition. She's still a little gangly sure but at least this season she's making an effort in her costumes, makeup, and choreography to look more mature. In a couple years she'll probably end up being built like Yuna and she'll just look willowy instead of angular. We'll see how she fairs this season but she seems to have her head in the right place, further, I don't think she's had any serious injuries in awhile which is a good sign.

You forgot to mention how pretty Christina is and I think she is growing into a stunning looking young lady. Not that it matters.....cough, .....but it is still a judged sport :laugh:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, 14 year olds are usually a little awkward. Or are you saying that's still the case? Then I can't really agree with you. :p

no, no. I'm saying there was little to no awkwardness about Mao even at that age. I'm saying she was very graceful and polished even then. Sorry, badly written statement.

janetfan

Match Penalty
As for Gao- I'll believe it when I SEE it. ;)

And I will enjoy watching her develope and will be cheering her on all the way.

I think you miss something holding back and only supporting medal winners. Half the fun is watching some of these kids grow up and mature into not just good skaters but fine young adults. Christina has nothing to prove to me and I like her whether she wins a ton of medals or not.

I was reading about a favorite gymnast of mine from '96 and 2000 the other day. She made it through Stanford, is an MD and surgeon and finishing up her residency.

I lost track of her for a few years but I never doubted that Amy Chow was not just a terrific gymnast but a really great young lady. Now she will be a great pediatrician and part-time gymnastics coach.

And who could resist a girl known as "the trickster." :)

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You forgot to mention how pretty Christina is and I think she is growing into a stunning looking young lady. Not that it matters.....cough, .....but it is still a judged sport :laugh:

Oh believe me, I was thinking that :). She is very pretty, and slender, and long-legged, and asian, you know, not that any of the top skaters right now/in the past fall into that description :laugh:. Plus Christina is great because she's like Michelle, Yuna, and Miki all mixed together :).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Christina certainly has talent. It will be interesting to see how she develops. :thumbsup:
When I first saw her on TV, I wanted to give her a sandwich.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, of course. But remember, Mirai wil not be at Worlds without skating her best at Natls. If she is not peaking at Natls there are others who can beat her. She carried her strong Natls performance to the Olympics and even showed a stellar SP at Worlds. And Olympic years are more difficult because they are longer and there is more pressure.

Yes, and that is why I hope that at Nationals Nagasu will be in good condition and skate really well = well enough to be selected for the World team. In my opinion though any Nationals definetely is the wrong place to peak, at Worlds a skater needs to be at her very best. There are about 2 months between US Nationals and Worlds.

I´d suppose that Flatt may even win the next Nationals, but I doubt that she will do really well at Worlds...

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, and that is why I hope that at Nationals Nagasu will be in good condition and skate really well = well enough to be selected for the World team. In my opinion though any Nationals definetely is the wrong place to peak, at Worlds a skater needs to be at her very best. There are about 2 months between US Nationals and Worlds.

I´d suppose that Flatt may even win the next Nationals, but I doubt that she will do really well at Worlds...

I basically agree with your thoughts but you seem to think US Natls is like some of the other Natl competitions. It is not and is nothing like Russian Natls. Or Japanese Natls.

It is a winner take all type of event. There is no room to hold back as the only thing that counts is how you skate and place at Natls when it comes to making the Natl team..

Miki missed the podium at Natls and still made her Natl team. That would not happen in the USA. In Russia the results do not guarantee a skater a place on the Natl team.

We have two spots for the Ladies and maybe 5-6 girls capable of winning the spots. Past results don't matter and the head of our federation just can't pick who they want on the Natl team.

It is the reason why so many of our skaters have said over the years that the pressure at Natls is greater than the pressure at Worlds. If Mirai skates good she has a 50-50 chance to make the team. If she is in tip top shape and skates her best she will most likely make the team. Mirai knows this and her coach absolutely knows this.

I agree a skater wants to be at their peak at Worlds but in the USA you won't get the chance unless you were really in top shape at Natls and performing your best.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Janetfan is right. I take it that Japanese Nationals, and to a certain extent, Canadian Nationals are similar as well.

I agree a skater wants to be at their peak at Worlds but in the USA you won't get the chance unless you were really in top shape at Natls and performing your best.

I absolutely agree with this. And I would say the same about every competition: skate your best.

I cannot imagine that a skater would ever say, well, I guess I'd better fall down two or three times in my first event because I don't want to peak too soon.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
WARNING - M.O.A. ( minority opinion alert ) I'm not sure I accept all of this "peak" stuff, though I know it is widely accepted. A skater, like any athlete, is expected to get in shape and stay in shape. He / she is expected to go out there lay blood and guts on the ice ....... regardless of what the calendar says.
When a pitcher blows a big game, would the fans care if he said .... "Sorry everybody. I haven't quite hit my peak yet." ? In what sport is that a valid excuse?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I absolutely agree with this. And I would say the same about every competition: skate your best.

I cannot imagine that a skater would ever say, well, I guess I'd better fall down two or three times in my first event because I don't want to peak too soon.

Thanks for agreeing - but I think Jaana was making a slightly different point which theoretically I agree with.
Take Laura, one of my favorites. She would have no chance at all to make the US Natl team despite her Worlds Bronze last season unless she showed up at Natls in top shape and ready to battle it out - not to sound overly dramatic - to the death.

Laura, in peak condition skating her best could make the US team. But a one triple skate would not cut it here. Even if your name was Michelle Kwan it would not cut it.

That is why there were some hard feelings when Michelle petitioned her way onto the US team back in '06. It didn't bother me - but it did go against our tradition and was never fair to Emily who earned her spot on the ice.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
WARNING - M.O.A. ( minority opinion alert ) I'm not sure I accept all of this "peak" stuff, though I know it is widely accepted. A skater, like any athlete, is expected to get in shape and stay in shape. He / she is expected to go out there lay blood and guts on the ice ....... regardless of what the calendar says.
When a pitcher blows a big game, would the fans care if he said .... "Sorry everybody. I haven't quite hit my peak yet." ? In what sport is that a valid excuse?

Baseball might not be the best analogy because they play so many games. Think more of a boxer or MMA fighter. I think today they do try and maintain a good condition year round - but when they have a fight scheduled there is no doubt they up the ante and training becomes quite intense with a defined goal of peaking come fight night.

Skating has such a long season now and we do hear comments about pacing yourself. In this sense Jaana is right - and a skater can't hope to maintain competition shape 30 straight weeks. I do think certain skaters are capable of peaking more than once a season. Maybe this year Jeremy will be one of them :)

This talk that Jeremy has peaked too early the last two seasons has everything to do with the nature of US Nationals and how the results determine the Natl team.

Jaana might be suggesting Jeremy would have been better off peaking in February rather than at Natls.

I am not sure if I buy that though. Jeremy is no kid, has been around long enough to know the deal and I think his unsteady performances might have more to do with nerves than peaking too soon. I could be wrong about that and not every skater is the same when it comes to stamina or the abilty to handle pressure.

Last edited: