Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tuktamysheva ready to make an impact

News Tuktamysheva ready to make an impact

She doesn't like to be called a wunderkind, but Elizaveta ("Lisa") Tuktamysheva is for sure a skating prodigy. As a tiny 11-year-old, she competed at the Russian National Figure Skating Championships in 2008 (senior level), and achieved the highest technical score of the field in the free skating.
    More

Custom Title
    I am really excited to see her this season in the JGP - good luck for her first event! Can´t wait for the next JGPs. :-)

She really is a big talent and the next years will show, what will happen in the "difficult" years .....

Custom Title
    It's kind of sad, especially after reading the last two paragraphs, that a skater who's yet to debut in the junior rank in international competitions receives so much attention from the skating community, media, and fans around the world and will have to deal with enormous pressure/expectation at such an early stage of her skating career. Sometimes I feel guilty for posting enthusiastic replies in junior competition threads and unnecessarily helping inflating the hypes. Oh well...

On the Ice
    This young lady is amazingly talented for a 13 yr old. I hope she can become the next Yuna/Mao, maybe more.

Custom Title
    Lol, this is truly weird, as I was just looking up this wunderkid early this morning on FSU under a thread about the upcoming Russian girls, then from there I saw her triple axel on youtube. Now there is an indepth article about her here on GS (we must be on the same wavelength). :D

She reminds me exactly of Mao Asada, even her triple axel technique is the same, especially similar to Mao's at 15 yrs. old, though I think Mao's was the best at the 2005 GPF (tad overrated in fact!). But at 13 yrs. of age Elizaveta's is better than Mao's at the same age.

It will be interesting to see if Elizaveta will be able to land the 3A for the first time in competition this year, and gradually gain consistency on it, as Mao has mastered hers. Will she be able to weather the puberty monster? growth spurt? etc. I think she will, as a natural jumper like Mao, Midori, Tonya, and Elizaveta learn the jumps naturally first from a very young age (11/12) and then maintain them even throughout puberty.

Mao definitely has competition! No wonder she is preparing a program "fit for the gods", because in order to keep ahead of wunderkids like Elizaveta she'll need more than one triple axel and two triple-triple combinations. She'll have to outdistance herself from the pack early on, otherwise by the time the next Olympics comes round she'll find herself overtaken by someone like Elizaveta.

Think 2005 GPF, wherein a 15 yr. old wunderkid (aka Mao Asada) blew away the pack with a gorgeous triple axel, 3/3s, speed, and lovely presentation. Her age being the only impediment to her competing at the 2006 Olympics. Whereas Elizaveta will have no such problem ~ she will be the perfect age at the 2014 Sochi Olympics held in her home country to boot ~ 17 yrs. old (the same age Mao was when she won her first Worlds).

And the new rules will definitely benefit her as well. In fact I always thought Mao's problem was timing ~ born too early for the 2006 Olympics, and then the ISU changed the rules just a few years before the 2010 Olympics, downgrading Mao's triple axels and 3/3 combinations, and in the process Mao lost her confidence, so much so that by the time the 2010 Olympics came round she could only manage 3 or 4 triples in the FS. Nothing like her 2005 GPF FS.

Back to Elizaveta, I'm happy that another girl has come along that can do a 3A! *clapping* I'm just sad that the USA still doesn't have a female that can even try one, much less complete one as beautifully done as Mao & Elizaveta's.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I saw her in rostel gala this year doing her Lp and she was really impressive despite the mistakes, i didnt believe she was only twelve, does she remind anyone of Irina?in her crossovers..I thought she needed work in her spirals and spins but I like this one very much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPQ9G2BPDc at 3.37 where she catches her foot but i dont know the name of it
    Thanx for the article, it was great!

She reminds me exactly of Mao Asada, even her triple axel technique is the same, especially similar to Mao's at 15 yrs. old, though I think Mao's was the best at the 2005 GPF (tad overrated in fact!). But at 13 yrs. of age Elizaveta's is better than Mao's at the same age.
    Actually in someways I think Liza jumping wise has a combination of Yu-na and Mao's strengths. In the sense that while Mao had the 3axel, a lot of the technique on her other jumps wasn't great.

Liza has a triple axel, but she also has really fabulous technique on all of her jumps only question is consistency.

It's kind of sad, especially after reading the last two paragraphs, that a skater who's yet to debut in the junior rank in international competitions receives so much attention from the skating community, media, and fans around the world and will have to deal with enormous pressure/expectation at such an early stage of her skating career. Sometimes I feel guilty for posting enthusiastic replies in junior competition threads and unnecessarily helping inflating the hypes. Oh well...
    I have to agree with this and I wonder if she might struggle this season because of it. However, I think there may be a benefit to this. Kim and Asada faced similar hype and pressure at Elizaveta's age, and I think the hype and pressure toughned them, got them use to it so they could handle pressure.

In contrast another young skater who doesn't have that kind of hype, will if they start getting success have to face the pressure someday.

I don't know if Liza will handle the pressure or not, I will say this iron sharpens iron. The Russians have such a deep field of young talent coming up, that whatever Russian girls do manage to claw through the field onto the international stage, well those girls are going to have to be fierce competitors. Headcases, aren't going to make it through.

Of course though hype can be a bad thing if it means a skater is not willing to fix their weaknesses (Zhang cough Zhang) But I don't get that feeling with Eilza, she knows she'll have a hard time making it through just in Russia.
    Its cute how proud Mishin seems to be of this kid though. He sounds like a proud father.
    Last edited by bekalc; 08-29-2010 at 04:05 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I liked this part about Mishin "But at that time her technique was so incomplete and she jumped in such a strange way that I was consulting with my wife and we decided not to invite her in our group,"and the fact he then took her in his group by rewatching her, he had said the same about Plush when he first came to his group, that he had no tecnique in his triples and looked like a cheap chicken, with all the discussion about coachs these days I like that Mishin takes raw babies and makes them skaters instead of already profiled athletes.And the fact that she rides 27 hours trip to train is remarkable at this age.

On the Ice
    Double this above! Bekalc, you are right in every point.

Only one thing, please, Eliza is not her name! He name is Elizaveta or Liza (diminutive), as it has been absolutely right put in the thread article.
    Last edited by parasolka; 08-29-2010 at 04:06 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Mao definitely has competition! No wonder she is preparing a program "fit for the gods", because in order to keep ahead of wunderkids like Elizaveta she'll need more than one triple axel and two triple-triple combinations. She'll have to outdistance herself from the pack early on, otherwise by the time the next Olympics comes round she'll find herself overtaken by someone like Elizaveta.
    It's good to see the tatalizing possibilities of youngsters like Elizaveta to step up and pressure the current established competitive skating hierarchy. This would be very good to elevate the already high levels of competition among the ladies, if Vancouver was an indication,

But I seriously hope that as she matures as a technical skater, she could also more develope one quality of the sport of skating that separates it from other sports:

It requires a David Bowie-esque charmeleon persona from program to program, from a spacy Ziggy Stardust to the dignified cool of White Duke. I remember watching Torvill and Dean's Bolero for the first time and was absolutely enthralled by their synchronized personifiation of the Bullfighting. Similarly, I find this to be true of top female elite skaters, like Yuna who can transform into an Arabian pricess, next into a tesing Bond girl, and then into a coronation ceremony of an elegant qeen blessed by Gershwin.

It would be interesting to see if she can develop the emotional maturity to "actress" varying personalities to mezmerize and sell her programs, like the immortal MK was so good at. Looks like she's got the raw talent and more, maybe Simon Cowell's "it" factor.

Custom Title
    This is going to be one heck of a debut! I don't have doubts about her winning the LP and the competition but she has had problems with short programs it seems in the past. It's probably why she kept the long but changed the short.

Custom Title
    Mao at 12yo did 8 triples LP at nationals. This girl hasn't even landed the axel in competition yet, and people are already comparing her to Mao? Seriously?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Mao at 12yo did 8 triples LP at nationals. This girl hasn't even landed the axel in competition yet, and people are already comparing her to Mao? Seriously?
    She has much better technique than Mao, full set of triples (no edge calls) and 3-3 combinations (no downgrades). I'd say she is more like Yu-Na, but I like Lisa the way she is. She doesn't even really need a triple axel, but it's amazing she is trying to do it.

Nice article! I wish her all the best and can't wait to see her at JGP! She is my favorite young skater

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Mao and Yuna were putting up FS scores around 115 when they were on the JGP. Shelepen landed 7 triples and 2 double axels in her FS last weekend and only scored 103, that being said, she doesn't have great basics and isn't really exceptional in anything but her jumping ability. Liza, as well as Adelina, I think potentially could post FS scores over 110, around 115, this season on the JGP because they are not only great jumpers but also great all-around skaters, and if they do, then I think it is fair to compare them to JGP Mao and Yuna.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    She has much better technique than Mao, full set of triples (no edge calls) and 3-3 combinations (no downgrades). I'd say she is more like Yu-Na, but I like Lisa the way she is. She doesn't even really need a triple axel, but it's amazing she is trying to do it.

Nice article! I wish her all the best and can't wait to see her at JGP! She is my favorite young skater
    Mao had no edge calls and no downgrades when she was a junior. . In fact, she set the record at junior level and no one's come close in 6 years and counting. I think she's nice, but she's no Mao Asada.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast