skater Flatt quickly ‘growing up' | Golden Skate

skater Flatt quickly ‘growing up'

Taan

On the Ice
http://www.gazette.com/sports/broadmoorskaterflattquickly‘growingup’-104266--.html
:clap: Flatt, 18, recently added a triple lutz-triple loop combination, one of the most technically demanding maneuvers in women’s figure skating, to short and long programs that allow her to act more expressively, in the mold of a seasoned competitor on the senior circuit..... :clap:
Zakrajsek believes the triple lutz-triple loop is the biggest challenge for Flatt, considering the combination follows a double axel-triple toe in her long. He said she’s “learning how to control her body more and get it accomplished, so it’s as consistent as her other jumps. … It’s a difficult combination. That’s why so few women in the world do it.” In looking at all of Flatt’s adjustments, Zakrajsek can’t deny the improved product. :clap:

Nadine

Record Breaker
That's great news! *clapping*

Not many women in the world attempt that combination because the 3R part is usually underrotated. If she does start successfully attempting and landing them in competition that will put the USA back on the map when it comes to the technical aspect in women's figure skating in this country.

Rachael may be slow & steady, like the story of the hare and the rabbitt, but it's the former that won the race. ;)

p.s. I've never had a problem with Rachael's 3/3s in the past, as they are 99% rotated, so therefore I'm looking forward to seeing her 3L/3R.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It really sounds like she is working hard. It will be interesting to see how things work out. :yay:

Nadine

Record Breaker
After watching "Sweet Home Alabama" on t.v. tonight, I found the perfect song for Rachael to skate to as an exhibition piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KtOfZKtbo :)

I think it would be perfect for her because she's got that Southern charm (even if she's not from the South) and resembles both Reese Witherspoon & Jewel. Anyhow, I love both the song & the movie, and immediately thought of Rachael skating to this spunky piece. :)^)

GOOOOOOO RACHAEL!!!!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've never had a problem with Rachael's 3/3s in the past, as they are 99% rotated, so therefore I'm looking forward to seeing her 3L/3R.

I don't think that's an accurate view of Flatt's 3/3s. Look at how she pre-rotates with her toepick on the ice. She doesn't jump up into the air, she just swings her body around. Her 3/3s are borderline at best if you take into consideration the actual spot where she is leaving the ice and actually getting into the air. That technique of spinning off the ice rather than jumping off the ice is not commendable.

I predict there is a 0.01% chance that Rachel Flatt gets a 3Lutz-3Loop combination ratified. That combination is not at all within her ability. I also see the article mentions she is doing a 2Axel-3Toe in the LP. Hopefully it gets downgraded. Her 2Axels are so bad; she again has the technique of spinning off the ice instead of jumping off the ice and barely rotates the jump. Considering she has less flow coming out of her 2Axels than her 3Flips, I can't image this combination will be any better than her 3Flip-3Toes were.

She needs to stop focusing on all of these jump combinations so much. At one point Rachel Flatt showed the potential of being an artistic performer but she has sadly gone nowhere (or even regressed) in her artistry.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
That's your POV, which I don't happen to share, nevertheless I hope we can agree to disagree. :)

As for me, I can't believe I'm actually thinking of attending Skate America in November, despite the fact that I don't particularly enjoy watching skating live (except for the Olympics). I honestly prefer television or IN. Nevertheless, I'm tempted to see the Men's FS (Daisuke Takahashi, Adrian Schultheiss, Adam Rippon) and also the Ladies FS (Carolina Kostner, Rachael Flatt, Caroline Zhang).

Heck, I figure it's only 3 hrs. away, whereas Vancouver was 2.5 hrs. away, so if doesn't snow I'm thinking of going. Rach has me curious to see if she will land a 3L/3R. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's your POV, which I don't happen to share, nevertheless I hope we can agree to disagree. :)

Watch a closeup of Flatt's feet when she is doing her 3-3. It's not a "Point of View", it's a fact. She turns on the ice considerably before actually getting into the air. You can choose to ignore it if you want but then you wouldn't have an objective opinion.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Like I said earlier I hope we can agree to disagree, but either way I won't fight or ***** about it, that's not my way either on the internet or in real life.

Carryon & have a good night. :)

p.s. GOOOOOOOOOOOO RACHAEL! :D

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree Blades. I wish Rachel would focus more on other things. There is so many things she needs to work and her programs are one of them. I'm surprise she's not skating to something more upbeat or faster. I couldn't get through her long program.

You might get to go to SkateAmerica? Cool! When is it, anyway? I'll have to hope for the kindness of strangers, as Tennessee Williams said, and wait for YouTube extracts. But if you go, you'll get to see Takahashi in person, you lucky stiff! And you'll be able to give us a blow-by-blow of how Caroline does as well as Rachel. Take copious notes! You have obligations.

shine

Record Breaker
Flatt, 18, recently added a triple lutz-triple loop combination, one of the most technically demanding maneuvers in women’s figure skating, to short and long programs that allow her to act more expressively, in the mold of a seasoned competitor on the senior circuit..... :clap:
How does a 3lutz-3loop allow her to act more expressively on the ice??

dlgpffps

Final Flight
How does a 3lutz-3loop allow her to act more expressively on the ice??

:laugh: I wanted to ask just that.

I think it's commendable that Rachael's pushing her boundaries, but I don't have my hopes high. In 3-3s, the first triple must be rock solid for the second to follow, but she barely holds on to her toe jumps. She should've worked on fixing her 3F & 3Lz technique (or maybe she did), rather than developing a new combination. Even better, she could have worked on posture, speed, expression and the lot. People label her as a Harding-type jumper (as compared to the flexible, musical and artistic Mirai). Maybe it's time she tried to differ & actually attend to the elements that make a pleasing "whole package."

If Rachael does bring a solid 3Lz-3Lo, I'll be sincerely happy for her, but I shudder at the idea of petty 3-3s mushrooming in every direction. Quality over quantity, ladies. I'd take a well-executed 3T-3T (e.g. Laura's) over a sloppy 3Lz-3Lo any day.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think it's just poorly written and the writer meant the new programs allowed her to be more expressive on the ice. But, I could be wrong...

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think it's just poorly written and the writer meant the new programs allowed her to be more expressive on the ice. But, I could be wrong...

I think you are probably right.
Isn't Rachael's music on the jazzier side this season? Probably a good idea as I liked her SP last season more than her LP.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rachael Flatt USA
SP Summertime by Gershwin; Oh, But On the Third Day/Happy Feet Blues" by Wynton Marsalis and Marcus Roberts and Earl Wild
LP Slaughter on Tenth Avenue by Richard Rogers.

Certainly, both numbers are on the jazzier side. SOTA has been a disaster for many skaters, though.

I don't think the author was trying to imply that the 3lz3lp made her more artistic. It was a badly written sentence.

Rachael is not starting college till next year, and appears to be trying to incorporate both technical and artistic improvements in her skating this year.

All good, I think.

The article goes into some depth about her programs, and they sound fairly well conceived to me.

Comparisons to Tonya, though are not warranted: Tonya had some of the best jump technique, including height and length of jump (not to mention correct entry edge) of any US lady ever, when she was in tip top shape. Rachael has a ways to go before she could compare to Tonya technically.

Last edited:
Every time I see words of praise about Tonya, I think how tragic it was that she wasn't able to trust her own talent. As you point out, Doris, there were aspects of her skating that were unequalled by any of her competitors. I remember, for example, how impressed I was with her in that 1994 Nationals (before we knew what had really happened)—how finished her movements were, so that it wasn't just athletics she was presenting, but her own kind of grace. Look what she could have been remembered for.

As for Rachael, everything I hear seems to promise good things for this season. I always have hopes for Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, because it has such drive and a good variety of rhythm and emotional undertone. But that's just the music...who knows what the skater can do with it. Here's hoping!

Nadine

Record Breaker
You might get to go to SkateAmerica? Cool! When is it, anyway? I'll have to hope for the kindness of strangers, as Tennessee Williams said, and wait for YouTube extracts. But if you go, you'll get to see Takahashi in person, you lucky stiff! And you'll be able to give us a blow-by-blow of how Caroline does as well as Rachel. Take copious notes! You have obligations.

Lol, yes, I might. :)

Here's the schedule: http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=397#schedule

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
It's nice to see Rachael wanting to go with more difficult programs, and it would be so nice if she could achieve the 3Lz+3Lo and 2A+3T. However, like some of you have already said, Rachael should focus on other things besides the 3+3 combinations. Anyway, good luck, Rachael!