competitors | Page 4 | Golden Skate

competitors

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I was wondering if anyone caught the dance competition. I remebere being impressed by Andreanne Poulin & Marc-Andre Servant last season, and I'd love to know what people thought of their performances here. It's obvious the judges loved them, and it looks as if they may be real contenders for the junior national title and a spot on the junior world team, so I'd love to hear more about their programs. Thanks!

Kypma

Final Flight
I was wondering if anyone caught the dance competition. I remebere being impressed by Andreanne Poulin & Marc-Andre Servant last season, and I'd love to know what people thought of their performances here. It's obvious the judges loved them, and it looks as if they may be real contenders for the junior national title and a spot on the junior world team, so I'd love to hear more about their programs. Thanks!

Me too! I saw their SD this summer and I remember being really impressed, though I missed their FD due to the time overlap with the Senior events. Second in the Free is a huge accomplishment in their international debut, and overall 4th is great! I wish they'd received an earlier assignment; maybe they could have had a second -- more experience never hurts, and who knows about the Final? Seeing them 2nd in the FD makes me think that wasn't too far-fetched as an idea...

nadster

Final Flight
Me too! I saw their SD this summer and I remember being really impressed, though I missed their FD due to the time overlap with the Senior events. Second in the Free is a huge accomplishment in their international debut, and overall 4th is great! I wish they'd received an earlier assignment; maybe they could have had a second -- more experience never hurts, and who knows about the Final? Seeing them 2nd in the FD makes me think that wasn't too far-fetched as an idea...

Unfortunately they were victims of stupid Skate Canada policy.

Skate Canada is only sending one dance team to the last JGP when they have the right to send 2 entries to every JGP.

Skate Canada only sent one dance team to each of the first 3 JGPs as well. So overall Skate Canada left 4 ice dance slots out of 14 max blank.

The Minto competition ( the main summer competition for the junior ice dacne teams in Canada ) did show that there were a lot of talented teams that deserved the JGPs. Leaving slots blank is an insult.

Part of the reason was that Skate Canada had some ridiculous standards where junior ice dancers must score at least 120 ( with "potential for 140") in a summer competition. They set the standards long before any short dance was ever competed ( but according to SC the benchmark scores were "adjusted" for the new rules). How can anyone know what a reasonable score is when no one has competed it?

It turns out these benchmarks are unrealistic when you consider that some teams have medalled in a JGP this year and did not make 120 total score. In fact one team won a JGP this year with a total score of 117.60.

The other problem was that the skaters had little lead in time to prepare the short dance. The original draft came out in late June with amendments in late July. The amendments came out 3 days before the Minto event. Is it any wonder that the scores were low competing a brand new format with little preparation time. There must have been still a lot of confusion at that event.

So of course nobody met the ridiculous standards and therefore Skate Canada decided to leave spots blank.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Congrats to:

Richard DORNBUSH USA 195.23
Gordei GORSHKOV RUS 185.4
Ryuichi KIHARA JPN 177.92

JGPF for Dornbush :thumbsup:

And well done Gordei! Better and better ... probably JGPF for you too :clap: