Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nw V&M article & one about Chan and fellow Canadian competitors

Rogue Leader

Thanks for the links.

So Chan's program is, skating with his arms around two imaginary girls and then their boyfriends come up and hit him in the face?

OK, but he should save that for Sochi -- don't waste your best stuff now!

OT -- Does anyone know why this newspaper is called "Canoe." Or why it is called "Slam?"

Custom Title
    I've always wondered that myself, Math. Slam is a wonderful site, but why is it called what it's called?

Rogue Leader
    The main website is Canoe a sort of acronym for Canadian Online Explorer. It's owned by Quebecor, a big media company out of Quebec. Each of its sub-sections has its own name, ie Slam Sports, Jam Showbiz etc. I think the sports name is meant to be alliterative.

^ Thanks for the info.

Custom Title
    Thanks, Antilles.

Before I found GS, Canoe was just about my main source of fresh skating news. I came to realize that Canadians take their skating far more seriously than the general American population. These days, our main newspapers barely acknowledge the World Championships when they take place, unless an American happens to win the gold. And forget Sports Illustrated, our main sports magazine. Skating almost doesn't exist between Olympics. Thank goodness Canada and the U.S. have a common language, so we can share their news.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thanks for the links.

So Chan's program is, skating with his arms around two imaginary girls and then their boyfriends come up and hit him in the face?

OK, but he should save that for Sochi -- don't waste your best stuff now!

OT -- Does anyone know why this newspaper is called "Canoe." Or why it is called "Slam?"

It is a bit hard to picture how that program won't be cheesy, at least from Chan's description. But we'll see. Lori Nichol's still his choreographer, right? I can't imagine her doing anything embarrassing.

Anyhow, I hope Patrick does go for the quad. It seems like a good year for him to do it. It's not an Olympic year so why not take a risk?

I enjoy his skating a lot, even though he can be a twerp. Good luck to Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks, Antilles.

Before I found GS, Canoe was just about my main source of fresh skating news. I came to realize that Canadians take their skating far more seriously than the general American population. These days, our main newspapers barely acknowledge the World Championships when they take place, unless an American happens to win the gold. And forget Sports Illustrated, our main sports magazine. Skating almost doesn't exist between Olympics. Thank goodness Canada and the U.S. have a common language, so we can share their news.
    About Sports Illustrated - I guess you are right. But over the years they have covered Natls and Worlds and do a splashy Olympic preview with an emphasis on figure skating.

Certainly not enough for fans like us - but I would give them some credit.
    Here is a link to something cool - one of their early covers featuring Tenley and Hayes.

http://images.si.com/vault/cover/fea...7446/index.htm

If you ever do the following search - SI Vault: Figure Skating
    you might be surprised at what you will find.

Or do the same search but for a specific skater - Michelle Kwan: SI Vault
    and you will find many articles, Michelle's SI cover and a very extensive video library featuring Michelle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...dd/1/index.htm

Like I said, you might be right but SI has always had figure skating coverage even if it was minimal. That is still better than most other US publications.
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

not one but two gilrs who already have a boyfriend?

lol

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Go big... or go home.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post

It is a bit hard to picture how that program won't be cheesy, at least from Chan's description. But we'll see. Lori Nichol's still his choreographer, right? I can't imagine her doing anything embarrassing.

Anyhow, I hope Patrick does go for the quad. It seems like a good year for him to do it. It's not an Olympic year so why not take a risk?
    Check it out and see what you think.

Well, the two girls and the punch are over pretty quickly but I could do with out them. I'm glad he's not knocking back multiple bevvies and staggering about. Whatever story he's telling himself isn't taking over the skating.Looks like the 'stuff' is in there to make this pretty nice through the season. ( but Patrick , cool guys usually find one tie is enough..if any . )

I guess he's had a lot to be working on ( quad, etc. ).. but rather than mountain biking , Patrick should be in a Jazz dance class a few times a week. He just needs more fluidity in his torso.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Well, the two girls and the punch are over pretty quickly but I could do with out them. I'm glad he's not knocking back multiple bevvies and staggering about. Whatever story he's telling himself isn't taking over the skating.Looks like the 'stuff' is in there to make this pretty nice through the season. ( but Patrick , cool guys usually find one tie is enough..if any . )

I guess he's had a lot to be working on ( quad, etc. ).. but rather than mountain biking , Patrick should be in a Jazz dance class a few times a week. He just needs more fluidity in his torso.
    I agree. Or maybe it's more sharpness in his arms, they're kind of floppy, a little lazy-looking in comparison to the music.... yeah, he should go to a jazz class and practice some upper body isolation moves. Anyway, I like the choreo, and he says himself it's a new style for him. Definitely has potential. Go Patrick!

Here's PJ's article from CBC sports site about HPC..nice pic of V/M

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/pjkwo...ig-season.html

Custom Title
    I've destroyed all the bad pictures of V/M. There weren't that many :D

Man, Scott really dislikes the compulsories, doesn't he? In many respects, they were the last major remnant of 6.0 and what it stood for, but I really like them and wish they still had them. Just one, not three.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast