Nw V&M article & one about Chan and fellow Canadian competitors | Golden Skate

Nw V&M article & one about Chan and fellow Canadian competitors

I've always wondered that myself, Math. Slam is a wonderful site, but why is it called what it's called?

Antilles

Medalist
The main website is Canoe a sort of acronym for Canadian Online Explorer. It's owned by Quebecor, a big media company out of Quebec. Each of its sub-sections has its own name, ie Slam Sports, Jam Showbiz etc. I think the sports name is meant to be alliterative.

Thanks, Antilles.

Before I found GS, Canoe was just about my main source of fresh skating news. I came to realize that Canadians take their skating far more seriously than the general American population. These days, our main newspapers barely acknowledge the World Championships when they take place, unless an American happens to win the gold. And forget Sports Illustrated, our main sports magazine. Skating almost doesn't exist between Olympics. Thank goodness Canada and the U.S. have a common language, so we can share their news.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thanks for the links.

So Chan's program is, skating with his arms around two imaginary girls and then their boyfriends come up and hit him in the face? :rofl:

OK, but he should save that for Sochi -- don't waste your best stuff now!

OT -- Does anyone know why this newspaper is called "Canoe." Or why it is called "Slam?"

:laugh:

It is a bit hard to picture how that program won't be cheesy, at least from Chan's description. But we'll see. Lori Nichol's still his choreographer, right? I can't imagine her doing anything embarrassing.

Anyhow, I hope Patrick does go for the quad. It seems like a good year for him to do it. It's not an Olympic year so why not take a risk?

I enjoy his skating a lot, even though he can be a twerp. Good luck to Patrick.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks, Antilles.

Before I found GS, Canoe was just about my main source of fresh skating news. I came to realize that Canadians take their skating far more seriously than the general American population. These days, our main newspapers barely acknowledge the World Championships when they take place, unless an American happens to win the gold. And forget Sports Illustrated, our main sports magazine. Skating almost doesn't exist between Olympics. Thank goodness Canada and the U.S. have a common language, so we can share their news.

About Sports Illustrated - I guess you are right. But over the years they have covered Natls and Worlds and do a splashy Olympic preview with an emphasis on figure skating.

Certainly not enough for fans like us - but I would give them some credit.
Here is a link to something cool - one of their early covers featuring Tenley and Hayes.

http://images.si.com/vault/cover/featured/7446/index.htm

If you ever do the following search - SI Vault: Figure Skating
you might be surprised at what you will find.

Or do the same search but for a specific skater - Michelle Kwan: SI Vault
and you will find many articles, Michelle's SI cover and a very extensive video library featuring Michelle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/va...le_Kwan/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/cdd/1/index.htm

Like I said, you might be right but SI has always had figure skating coverage even if it was minimal. That is still better than most other US publications.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rolleye: Well, the two girls and the punch are over pretty quickly but I could do with out them. I'm glad he's not knocking back multiple bevvies and staggering about. Whatever story he's telling himself isn't taking over the skating.Looks like the 'stuff' is in there to make this pretty nice through the season. ( but Patrick , cool guys usually find one tie is enough..if any . )

I guess he's had a lot to be working on ( quad, etc. ).. but rather than mountain biking , Patrick should be in a Jazz dance class a few times a week. He just needs more fluidity in his torso.

Layfan

Record Breaker
:rolleye: Well, the two girls and the punch are over pretty quickly but I could do with out them. I'm glad he's not knocking back multiple bevvies and staggering about. Whatever story he's telling himself isn't taking over the skating.Looks like the 'stuff' is in there to make this pretty nice through the season. ( but Patrick , cool guys usually find one tie is enough..if any . )

I guess he's had a lot to be working on ( quad, etc. ).. but rather than mountain biking , Patrick should be in a Jazz dance class a few times a week. He just needs more fluidity in his torso.

I agree. Or maybe it's more sharpness in his arms, they're kind of floppy, a little lazy-looking in comparison to the music.... yeah, he should go to a jazz class and practice some upper body isolation moves. Anyway, I like the choreo, and he says himself it's a new style for him. Definitely has potential. Go Patrick!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I've destroyed all the bad pictures of V/M. There weren't that many :D

Man, Scott really dislikes the compulsories, doesn't he? In many respects, they were the last major remnant of 6.0 and what it stood for, but I really like them and wish they still had them. Just one, not three.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Where are these bad pics of Tessa? :unsure:
I want to add them to my folder with all the bad pics of Tanith ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
:biggrin::biggrin:Maybe they've been mis-filed in someone's "Bad Pics of Anna Capellini " file..

:laugh:

I do not have any bad pics of Anna in my folder. I don't even have a folder :)

Maybe Tessa was having a bad hair day or something like that.
But I have neve seen a pic of her when she looked less than adorable.

I was just kidding with IP ......... :cool:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Heh. Colleen said "nice pic of V/m" which inspired the thought "there's no such thing as a bad picture of V/M. Nice is the minimum." But that read "too snarky" so I ended up with the comment I posted.

As for bad pictures of Anna Cappellini, I maintain that if Leonardo Da Vinci was alive today, he would destroy the Mona Lisa and spend his life trying to capture Cappellini's beauty. People talk about the "beauty bonus" when applied to the Finnish ladies, but the fact that the team of Cappellini and Lanotte (and he's not bad himself at all) isn't a podium contender every time out single handedly disproves its existence.