Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Ladies

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    I have one question about her technique, though - does she flutz? Couldn't tell clearly from the youtube video, but seems to me that it was not a deep outside edge.
    The video quality isn't very clear but from her nationals videos, I see that it's more borderline. It's not a deep outside edge but it's not an inside edge either. Since we don't have the "!" anymore, I think the only ones that are called now are those that are most noticeable.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    I loved reading this thread...
    By the time these girls hit senior, I'll already know what the major debates about them are

Custom Title
    Everything has its cycle, US was quite dominated many years ago, swept podium in many international events, then Japan with many super talented. Now it's Russian's turn. Russia had no real super star since Irina Slutskaya, this could be their time.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar

Mashimaro on Ice
    I really like ZiJun Li more and more Everything about her skating is soft and smooth. She kinda reminds me of a young Mao. Both of her programs are also wonderful because they suit her lyrical style.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I really like ZiJun Li more and more Everything about her skating is soft and smooth. She kinda reminds me of a young Mao. Both of her programs are also wonderful because they suit her lyrical style.
    I was just about to say this!
    I totally agree, and she even does Mao's one handed beillman

Yeah, Zijun is wonderful.
    She also channels Mao at that age for me. Karen Kwan did a good job with both programs. They suit her style, show off her gracefulness, but also work well because she's a fast skater. It's too bad she had to compete in the toughest JGP so far. In another competition, she might've won gold or silver. But perhaps she still has a chance of making JGPF.

Custom Title
    I liked Zijun's style, a lot! I thought she was a bit short changed in PCS compared to Gao - I certainly enjoyed her skate a lot more.

I love that she used the Up soundtrack as her SP.

From the other skaters, I LOVED Monika Simancikova from Slovakia who ended up in 5th place. Lovely balletic style and soft skating. I was so sad when she fell on her final jump. She has a lot of potential. Nice to see girls from more obscure countries do so well at this competition.

Zijun is defnitely the most promising skater from China we have seen in a while. She still has a lot work to do in terms of line and extension, but I just love how light she is and how she seems to float across the ice. She makes all the transitions and edgework seem so effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    It's too bad she had to compete in the toughest JGP so far. In another competition, she might've won gold or silver. But perhaps she still has a chance of making JGPF.
    I definitely agree, Sotnikova and Gao posted some high scores. But the top 8 make the JGP right? Last year Christina made the final with 2 bronzes and Ellie Kawamura made it with a bronze and a 4th place finish. Of course this season we have so many amazing Russian girls, but I think if she skates as well as she did here, Li Zijun has a great shot with a bronze already.

Her next JGP is in Czech. Who do you think are her biggest competitors? Shelepen, Kemanai, and who else?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Her next JGP is in Czech. Who do you think are her biggest competitors? Shelepen, Kemanai, and who else?
    2 girls from USA, 2 from Russia and 2 from Japan.

Of course, Shelepen is the top favourit here ... but we have to wait with US girls will skate in the end.
    The Japanese girls can be strong, but only can. So we have to look, because these are juniors, and you never now what will happen. The second Russian girl AFANASYEVA is also a real talented skater and can do really fine!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meli_Huber View Post
    2 girls from USA, 2 from Russia and 2 from Japan.

Of course, Shelepen is the top favourit here ... but we have to wait with US girls will skate in the end.
    The Japanese girls can be strong, but only can. So we have to look, because these are juniors, and you never now what will happen. The second Russian girl AFANASYEVA is also a real talented skater and can do really fine!
    I doubt Afanasieva will go there, she is just a placeholder... The second girl can be Anna Ovcharova (she has event in Great Britain only a week after Japan, I think it's too hard, so maybe Zaseeva will go to Great Britain instead) or Nikol Gosviani if she does well in Japan (the girl is really strong, with all triples, 2A-3T combo and nice spins and presentation).

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I liked Zijun's style, a lot! I thought she was a bit short changed in PCS compared to Gao - I certainly enjoyed her skate a lot more.
    It was hard to tell with the low quality of Christina's LP, but I think she performed better at her summer competitions. I really loved her Yellow River LP at Skate Detroit. I think the senior version of the program is better, more room for breathing and small choreographic moments. I guess experience has helped her PCS - medaling at the JGP Final last year couldn't have hurt her reputation.

As for Zijun, I agree with everyone that her style is a lot like Mao's. She's soft and elegant but really seems to have a big personality on the ice, and her programs highlight that really well. I'm also impressed with her jumps - I remember at Chinese Nationals a year or two ago, she really had no flow out of the lutz and flip. Now she has good technique, nice height, as well as flow.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    It was hard to tell with the low quality of Christina's LP, but I think she performed better at her summer competitions. I really loved her Yellow River LP at Skate Detroit. I think the senior version of the program is better, more room for breathing and small choreographic moments. I guess experience has helped her PCS - medaling at the JGP Final last year couldn't have hurt her reputation.

As for Zijun, I agree with everyone that her style is a lot like Mao's. She's soft and elegant but really seems to have a big personality on the ice, and her programs highlight that really well. I'm also impressed with her jumps - I remember at Chinese Nationals a year or two ago, she really had no flow out of the lutz and flip. Now she has good technique, nice height, as well as flow.
    I don't know what justified Christina's much higher PCS than Zijun's. I didn't really see it in their skating. I would've given them comparable PCS, maybe even a slight edge to Zijun. Zijun had better posture, line, flow, and flexibility (and better spins, too). The placements are fine, especially considering their short programs, but I have to disagree with the huge gap in their FS scores. Hopefully, if Zijun keeps on skating clean programs and placing well in her competitions, then she'll build her own reputation in judges' minds.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast