Adelina Sotnikova - flutz or not? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova - flutz or not?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Instead of calling flutzes and lips, why won't the ISU mandate that credit for a jump should be given by the edge the skater takes off in?

If a skater does two flutzes and a flip, then why not give credit for the two jumps taken from the inside edge as a flip and call the 3rd jump an invalid element?

........... because flips and lutzes are two different jumps for a reason.

*Technically, it's not just the outside edge that differentiates a lutz from a flip, but it is one of the key defining features. The other key distinguishing feature is that the momentum of the entrance to the lutz is counter to the direction of the rotation.

Thank you, I was about to post that.

I don't get why people are so generous about wrong take-off edges. Get the jump right. Other athletes can do it. There's no reason some accomplished athletes can't. The big reason I dislike flutzes & lips is that I think most skaters are capable of fixing them. It's a habit that dies hard, I understand, but I've seen other athletes correct wrong technique, even at the expense of an entire season (e.g. Miki). Can't cut slack for skaters who bring back their bogus jumps over & over again when others get injured trying to do it right. I'm glad Adelina was given the call. My admiration for her will increase (I think she's one of the finest from the Russian crop) when she makes efforts to correct herself. Her other qualities are wondeful.