International (i.e. non-US) Ladies Speculation Thread | Golden Skate

International (i.e. non-US) Ladies Speculation Thread

R.D.

Record Breaker
So, it is quite apparent from the US Ladies Prediction thread that there is a need for discussion of non-Americans, like the up-and-coming Russian girls, as well as what might become of Lepisto, Asada, Kim, etc. I'd like to keep that thread about the Americans and try to shift all the other discussion over here.

I'll start with the ladies I do know about, then the rest can be filled in.

Yuna is the big question mark here. A messy breakup with her coach led to speculation that she might be retiring, yet Team Kim claims that she wants a shot at Tokyo Worlds. It remains to be seen if the shows will remain a distraction, or whether she will buckle down and really prove that she has staying power.

Asada is the one that many are already calling a favorite for Sochi. She clearly has the technical package necessary to stay in the medal hunt, but I think the biggest factor for her will be remaining injury-free.

Lepisto got quite lucky, winning that world bronze, but unfortunately injury has taken her out of this season's equation. Can she pick herself back up and remain the #1 Finnish lady? the #1 European lady?

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the European ladies have been doing in the JGP. Obviously, there's been a lot of talk about the Russians, and they've been doing very well, but also the French girls and other OES have had good results. Before, it seemed that all the European girls had maybe one under rotated triple and no style, but most of these girls have at least 3 triples, a lot of them have the 3F or 3Lz or both; as well as flair and style.

JGP Courchevel:
4 Yretha SILETE FRA 134.03 1 4
6 Anais VENTARD FRA 121.49 5 7
7 Lenaelle GILLERON-GORY FRA 120.78 7 6

JGP Romania:
5 Isabelle M. OLSSON SWE 121.07 10 4

JGP Austria:
4 Ira VANNUT BEL 130.16 6 4
5 Monika SIMANCIKOVA SVK 125.64 9 5
6 Patricia GLESCIC SLO 125.46 8 6

I don't know what the GP will hold for the Euro girls this year. I think Makarova might have a good chance of winning the European title if she can skate well. I'd wish she'd get better choreography, though; her current SP is just stroking from element to element without paying any mind to the music. I like Lepisto, but she needs to start landing more in her porgrams. Unsure about how Leonova will do this year.

The quality of Euros will improve quite in the next couple of years, once these young girls start getting older...Sotnikova in particular has the potential to be a real superstar.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that Yuna will retire. She's won the OGM, and seems to be having personal issues as well.. just a feeling though.

ankka

Rinkside
I have a feeling that the Finnish ladies are gonna do well this season, I mean both Kiira and Laura. They both seem to have been in a good shape this summer, Kiira's reportedly improved her jumps AND skating skills and has better choreography now. Laura's injury only took her off ice for a couple of weeks, she's already practicing again. In the shows this summer she showed improved speed on her spins and good jumps and I have a feeling that domestic competition will be a good source of motivation for her!

I'm a bit worried about Kostner really. She seems to have a similar mess going on with her coaches as Kim and it may affect her performances this season.

R.D., thanks for setting up this thread. It'll be good to get news about the other skaters. I feel totally ignorant about about three-fourths of Europe's skating roster, because I haven't really been following the juniors. I will be eager to hear what you all have to report.

Ankka, good to hear that Lepisto is on the ice again. And I'm pleased that Kiira is moving up on the quality ladder. I will look forward to seeing them in the competitions.

I didn't realize that Kostner is having problems with coaches. That poor girl seems to skate under an unlucky star. She has such gifts--speed, triple-triples, grace, but she doesn't seem to get it together in clutch moments.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'd be surprised if Kostner was a big factor this season (or ever again, for that matter). I think she'll hover in the top 10 until she retires, unfortunately.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I have a feeling that the Finnish ladies are gonna do well this season, I mean both Kiira and Laura. They both seem to have been in a good shape this summer, Kiira's reportedly improved her jumps AND skating skills and has better choreography now. Laura's injury only took her off ice for a couple of weeks, she's already practicing again. In the shows this summer she showed improved speed on her spins and good jumps and I have a feeling that domestic competition will be a good source of motivation for her!

Thanks for the updates on Kiira and Laura. I am really happy to hear both are doing well and especially great news to hear Laura is recovered and back on the ice.

Good luck to both of them this season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm really interested to see Anna Ovcharova's new programs and hope she is able to compete at the JGP this week! I hope her new numbers show off her great musicality and expression as well as her programs last year did :).

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I don't want to make any predictions this season, so I'll just wish good luck to everyone and I hope Miki and Mao rock this season!

:rock:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
R.D.
Yuna is the big question mark here. A messy breakup with her coach led to speculation that she might be retiring, yet Team Kim claims that she wants a shot at Tokyo Worlds. It remains to be seen if the shows will remain a distraction, or whether she will buckle down and really prove that she has staying power.

Asada is the one that many are already calling a favorite for Sochi. She clearly has the technical package necessary to stay in the medal hunt, but I think the biggest factor for her will be remaining injury-free.
I'm sure that Yuna will go to Worlds 2011. She always held her promises, so she will go for sure. It is also possible, that she will go to 4CC (as I know, she didn't say that she will go only to Worlds).

Mao seems to be determined to go to Sochi which is a good news for every fan of figure skating, I guess. Technically she has enough things to improve yet and she has time to do so. If Yuna will retire, Mao may become unbeatable for quite a time. Of course, there are Russian young ladies and Mirai Nagasu... But I'm sure that Mao will be one of the strongest skaters until Sochi.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mao seems to be determined to go to Sochi which is a good news for every fan of figure skating, I guess. Technically she has enough things to improve yet and she has time to do so. If Yuna will retire, Mao may become unbeatable for quite a time. Of course, there are Russian young ladies and Mirai Nagasu... But I'm sure that Mao will be one of the strongest skaters until Sochi.

Aha, but you see, that's what we THINK. We don't KNOW that for sure...both times I've followed the forums immediately after an Olympic cycle, the predictions made afterward have never turned out. There has always turned out to be some kind of spoiler thrown in.

She certainly seems strong as of now, but it remains to be seen if she can remain healthy with all the heavy jumping she's been doing- and also remain at her peak, which she seems to be hitting right about now.

Eris

On the Ice
I'm really interested to see Anna Ovcharova's new programs and hope she is able to compete at the JGP this week! I hope her new numbers show off her great musicality and expression as well as her programs last year did :).
I think she keeps both her programs... Because
-her ISU bio was updated and it reveals last season programs;
-I guess she had no time for mastering new programs because of an injury.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Aha, but you see, that's what we THINK. We don't KNOW that for sure...both times I've followed the forums immediately after an Olympic cycle, the predictions made afterward have never turned out. There has always turned out to be some kind of spoiler thrown in.

She certainly seems strong as of now, but it remains to be seen if she can remain healthy with all the heavy jumping she's been doing- and also remain at her peak, which she seems to be hitting right about now.

and thus the "may".

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
R.D.

I'm sure that Yuna will go to Worlds 2011. She always held her promises, so she will go for sure. It is also possible, that she will go to 4CC (as I know, she didn't say that she will go only to Worlds)..

Oh, also: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/09/136_73293.html

Particularly the last paragraph:
"Kim, who has already mentioned she would only appear in the World Championships before starting the season, is now working on her new program."

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
I think she keeps both her programs... Because
-her ISU bio was updated and it reveals last season programs;
-I guess she had no time for mastering new programs because of an injury.

Mmh, but there were reports about new programms. A new long to something Chicago or so. The programm was done before the injury when the infos are right. :cool:
But we will know very soon. So happy she is able to skate in Japan!