Kavaguti & Smirnov upgrade their throw jump | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kavaguti & Smirnov upgrade their throw jump

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The program will be fine if they stop rushing it. They need to hold the moves out longer and take longer strokes before the throw jump so that when it comes, it's right on time with the music (notice how far ahead of the music they were at the end of the program...there is plenty of room to expand here).

FlattFan

Match Penalty
this is a very bad program for K&S. it is literally all about the tricks and with really no attempt at good choreography. The major crescendo occurs in mid spin and afterward instead of timed with a lift or a throw. they will have to nail everything to get decent scores. I predict they change the program before Nationals.

For 3 years in a row, they've been getting 70+ in the SP. They will get huge scores for this SP with the lutz throw.

lcd

Match Penalty
This team seems to go through many ups and downs through any given season. Hoping they have a consistent season.

In general, I always kind of wondered why more flip/lutz throws were not being done. I would love to see more teams go for the triple axel. The axel entrance has a lot of natural flow to it IMO and we see so few these days at the senior level because the double of course affords relatively little in terms of points.

mousepotato

On the Ice
This team seems to go through many ups and downs through any given season.

2nd place Cup of Russia
2nd place NHK Trophy
5th place Grand Prix Final
1st place Russian Nationals
1st place Europeans
4th place Olympics
3rd place World Championships

Aside from not hanging onto the 3rd place they had during the Olympics, their season had some good “highs” most teams would kill for a season like that, including P/T and S/S.

I just hope they stay healthy!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I agree with FlattFan. I think with the exception of the toe (maybe) I much prefer to see the "edge" throw jumps (axel, loop, salchow). The entrance for the flip and lutz throws always seems so much slower (less flow) and purely gymnastic rather than musical. There have been some exceptions so far of course but really, nothing beats a Shen and Zhao throw loop or salchow IMO.

You know, I thought it was going to look like S/S's amazing throw triple flip, but the throw triple lutz is ... ugly. And I agree. ;) Except ... S/S's throw triple flip was kinda amazing at Skate Canada 2009.

Aside from not hanging onto the 3rd place they had during the Olympics, their season had some good “highs” most teams would kill for a season like that, including P/T and S/S.

Speaking of P/T, I recently found a link to their 2010 Olympic FS and fell in love all over again. :')

Last edited:

cinnamon

On the Ice
I don't think this new program is bad. It's more a question of if you like Tamara's style or not.
About their new throw jump, besides the point it looks ugly or not, I prefer not to see her falling on the same jump every time and hurting her shoulder, especially now after her operation.

Hikaru

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2kufvCAg-0

New short program. Looks like they're going for the triple lutz.
Why on earth? They always get good GOE for their throw loop.
No SC, no GPF. Does anyone know their actual plan?

I'm not a fan of the thorw lutz either. The aesthetics of the element is not the best, and the jump doesn't look big enough. Although when S&Sthey do have a great spring to it, it's not a element I like. The program looks a bit flat, maybe because is a new one, but the music cut doesn't catcg my attention. Let's see how it goes whe they start the season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAz0Vosmghg

Here's a news clip, they appear to be talking about the new season. Yuko has new boots?
One thing I notice, Tamara always films her students. She pays attention into every little details. No wonder they always get massive PCS.

Can any Russian-speaking member translate this clip? Did they say anything about the new throw lutz?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I wish this pair well. :)

I do admit I have a soft spot for Yuko, she tries so hard, almost broke her arm last year in that one competition where she was going for a throw quad jump. And I felt so bad for her when I found out she & her partner just missed getting a medal at the Olympics. The pressure must have been unbearable to move to another country, give up her Japanese citizenship to become a Russian citizen, the criticisms, et al, and then to be the first Russian pair to not make the podium at an Olympics since 1964 was most likely heartbreaking (btw I feel the same way about American Ladies Singles Skaters, whom failed to make the Olympic podium for the first time since 1968). :( :( :( I only hope the Russian press didn't blame her.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K&S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mousepotato

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAz0Vosmghg

Here's a news clip, they appear to be talking about the new season. Yuko has new boots?
One thing I notice, Tamara always films her students. She pays attention into every little details. No wonder they always get massive PCS.

Can any Russian-speaking member translate this clip? Did they say anything about the new throw lutz?

I'm not sure if this is what you meant to post, this vid is a montage of their skating. No interview.

I do admit I have a soft spot for Yuko, she tries so hard, almost broke her arm last year in that one competition where she was going for a throw quad jump. And I felt so bad for her when I found out she & her partner just missed getting a medal at the Olympics. The pressure must have been unbearable to move to another country, give up her Japanese citizenship to become a Russian citizen, the criticisms, et al, and then to be the first Russian pair to not make the podium at an Olympics since 1964 was most likely heartbreaking (btw I feel the same way about American Ladies Singles Skaters, whom failed to make the Olympic podium for the first time since 1968). :( :( :( I only hope the Russian press didn't blame her.

They were treated pretty bad in the press, it was sad. People only looked at them as "Russians" not realizing this pair had only been together for 3 1/2 years. They should have been really proud of 4th place but they were vilified, the word failure should have never been said in the same sentence with their names. M/T did far worse and no one said a thing and they had been skating together for 7 years. I blame Tamara for changing the program two seconds before they skated, I think that really messed with their heads and they just were downhill from there.

Also, everyone was so happy that S/Z won an Olympic medal; no one mentioned that had had been together for 20 years, it took them four tries to get gold and they were 5th at their first Olympics.

treeloving

Medalist
i wish this pair well. :)

i do admit i have a soft spot for yuko, she tries so hard, almost broke her arm last year in that one competition where she was going for a throw quad jump. And i felt so bad for her when i found out she & her partner just missed getting a medal at the olympics. The pressure must have been unbearable to move to another country, give up her japanese citizenship to become a russian citizen, the criticisms, et al, and then to be the first russian pair to not make the podium at an olympics since 1964 was most likely heartbreaking (btw i feel the same way about american ladies singles skaters, whom failed to make the olympic podium for the first time since 1968). :( :( :( i only hope the russian press didn't blame her.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooo k&s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ita

cinnamon

On the Ice
I think Yuko is OK no matter what. She is a strong girl and she loves what she is doing. Am looking forward to seeing their polished programs soon. ;)