Judges - how are/should they be chosen/kept? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Judges - how are/should they be chosen/kept?

Ellen

Rinkside
In the first place, men do huge elements like quads and triple Axel combinations. You don't want to do any "transitions" on your quad approach for the same reason that a high-jumper, with the bar set at 8 feet, does not stop in the midddle of his run-up and do a cartwheel.

:) Plyshy must had sent the reply like this to Joe Inman with cc to all ISU judges ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In the first place, men do huge elements like quads and triple Axel combinations. You don't want to do any "transitions" on your quad approach for the same reason that a high-jumper, with the bar set at 8 feet, does not stop in the midddle of his run-up and do a cartwheel.

Plus, there is (or at least should be) a little Vive la Difference in figure skating. We do not really want to see a man sashaying down the ice twitching his rear end back and forth just so he can say that he did three rockers and a counter.

LOL, indeed. Skaters are going to start trying Quads in the SP with "transitions" before them, though. Just as in the 2000 season when Men could only do the Quad in the SP if it was preceeded by "transitions", the movements we are going to see will be incredibly simplistic. Hopefully the judges remember the rules about preceeding footwork before the solo jump in the SP and take that into consideration with their scores.

ciocio

On the Ice
I don't think it was a war against any particular skater, and I don't think that Plushenko's off-the-cuff humorous remark started it. Plushenko's comment was just the catalyst that Joe Inman and others hung their hat on to bring the issue to the fore.

You´ll find a very interesting discussion about Inman´s mail on Tony Wheeler´s blog. Unfortunately I can´t post the link, my account was banned earlier because of that :laugh:. The title is "What was so bad about Inman's letter...?" and was posted on August 3. :)