Miki Ando news | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando news

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Miki looks really slow in the new SP. Probably slower than Caroline Zhang, if that's even possible.

:laugh:

I don't think so.

The bad news: what a horrible mess of a SP. From the manic arm flailing, to the short shorts. What a mess. :disapp:

The bad thing is that people never except something different.

:disapp:

Having seen this, I don't think she'll be on the podium at this year Worlds.

The season hasn't begun yet and you're already making predictions for Worlds. Geez.

:laugh: :rolleye:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Sometimes I find it really annoying to read some of the negative criticisms of the skaters. Some people speak with such authority that I wonder what THEIR credentials are. At the beginning of the season no one is where they need to be I think Miki has an interesting choice of music and plenty of time to develop the program. For goodness sakes, Mao popped her loop and fell on her axle when she did her short. I was sort of disapointed, but then I thought that this is the beginning of the season for her. They all need to peak much later and test the waters. I just find the tone of some posts so vehement sometimes and I dont get it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Miki looks really slow in the new SP. Probably slower than Caroline Zhang, if that's even possible.

The good news: looks like her 3lz-3lp is back, and it looks almost fully rotated.

The bad news: what a horrible mess of a SP. From the manic arm flailing, to the short shorts. What a mess. :disapp:

Having seen this, I don't think she'll be on the podium at this year Worlds.

The angle of the video makes her look slow, heck even Yuna would look slow if filmed from that angle. Miki isn't slow, and where the program is new, she's probably skating it a little slower than usual because she is still getting used to it.

And yeah it was messy but it's the begging of the season. Mao popped her loop and fell on her axel in her SP, Takahashi messed up his combo in his SP, and Javier had problems with all 3 jumping passes in his SP. Even Rachael "The Rock" Flatt doubled her lutz and did no combo in her SP at a recent competition. Miki was pretty consistent with her jumps last season and I'm sure that will come with time. I personally am not worried.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Everyone's bit rusty with jumps, I didn't say she couldn't land the jumps. I'm sure she'll be able to land all the triples when it counts. But the program leaves me COLD.

Unlike Mao's or Dai's, this program is probably one of the worst SPs ever. Thus, I don't think she will medal with this, even when her jumps are clean.

Hopefully Akiko and Murakami can go to Worlds. Having seen bits and parts of their programs, they are so much better.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I loved her spins. I thought it was awesome that Miki came up with some creative positions despite not being uber-flexible. And if she slowed down a bit after the position change, so what?

The sideways position in the sit spin was cool, but the fact that she lost speed in the next position speaks to something everyone is doing with CoP - holding spin positions for 8 revolutions to gain a "level" even though holding the position that long usually doesn't look great and actually just hinders the spin because speed is lost. It's a CoP problem in general - yet another example of the system forcing programs to look uglier simply for the sake of making a move slightly more "difficult". Except, really, it doesn't make the program more difficult. When you waste that much time doing technical elements, it leaves you with less time to actually skate across the ice and display your edge quality and other skating skills and figure out movements that interpret the music.

I just find the tone of some posts so vehement sometimes and I dont get it.

I'm like to critique fairly and accurately. If something deserves a 1-star review, it's dishonest to not provide a 1-star review. There's no point in covering a piece of poo with candy sprinkles or tying it up in a bow.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
She enters her jumps with a lot of speed, too - except for the popped flip, but maybe she just felt uncomfortable jumping from under the lights into darkness.

That might have been it, but I noticed something different about Miki's Flip. It looks like she's doing it right after the steps and maybe is having a hard time with it. Compare the Flip she landed here with this one.

:)

lavender

Record Breaker
Miki will be fine with her jumps but NM's choreography is bad. He's so inconsistent now with his programs.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
The sideways position in the sit spin was cool, but the fact that she lost speed in the next position speaks to something everyone is doing with CoP - holding spin positions for 8 revolutions to gain a "level" even though holding the position that long usually doesn't look great and actually just hinders the spin because speed is lost. It's a CoP problem in general - yet another example of the system forcing programs to look uglier simply for the sake of making a move slightly more "difficult". Except, really, it doesn't make the program more difficult. When you waste that much time doing technical elements, it leaves you with less time to actually skate across the ice and display your edge quality and other skating skills and figure out movements that interpret the music.

I'm like to critique fairly and accurately. If something deserves a 1-star review, it's dishonest to not provide a 1-star review. There's no point in covering a piece of poo with candy sprinkles or tying it up in a bow.

Thank you. Well said. I've been fumbling for words to express my most serious grumps withe COP programs and you hit the nail on the head. And I freely admit to placing unusually high value on aesthetic programs that truly interpret music, rather than pure tech-fests. I have nothing against Miki, but even when she was an up-an-comer and pre-Morozov, I just didn't see much there beyond the jumps. Maybe one of the most un-musical of all the top ladies skaters right now.

Last edited:
It's a CoP problem in general - yet another example of the system forcing programs to look uglier simply for the sake of making a move slightly more "difficult". Except, really, it doesn't make the program more difficult. When you waste that much time doing technical elements, it leaves you with less time to actually skate across the ice and display your edge quality and other skating skills and figure out movements that interpret the music.

I heartily agree.

lavender

Record Breaker
It's a CoP problem in general - yet another example of the system forcing programs to look uglier simply for the sake of making a move slightly more "difficult". Except, really, it doesn't make the program more difficult. When you waste that much time doing technical elements, it leaves you with less time to actually skate across the ice and display your edge quality and other skating skills and figure out movements that interpret the music.

A big thumbs up