Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miki Ando news

Custom Title

Miki Ando news

I just thought I'd start a thread on Miki, since Yuna, Mao, and Laura seem to have one.
    (Didn't add it to the International speculation one, since this is a piece of news and not speculation).

Here's a short news clip on a public practice that Miki had.

A rough translation of what was said:
    - Due to a record-breaking heat-wave in Russia, Ando has been practicing in Latvia as of a month ago.
    - Citing "challenge" as this season's theme, her new program focuses on her strong jumps rather than expression.
    - Especially the free has 5 jumping [passes*], a somewhat unusual layout.
    - Ando will have her first event on October 2nd.
    - Ando said, "Since this isn't an Olympic season, I want to relax and show my supporters the skating that I enjoy".
    [*I added "passes", since having 5 individual jumps in the second half doesn't seem out of the ordinary]

A few thoughts:

1) Judging from whether her choreography matches the music in the background, do you think this is her program music, or another skater's? If the former, can anybody identify it?

2) Especially with the new UR rules, I'm pretty sure "focusing on jumps" refers to getting her 3-3 back, but do you think this also includes her quad?

Custom Title
    I know Miki still does 3lz-3o in practice, so she is definitely capable of landing it, she just left it out most of last season because there was no gain on doing a 3lz-3lo< vs a 3lz-2lo. Now she can gain points by doing the 3lo even if it is UR, so I assume she will go for it. As for the quad, a UR 4sal will still be worth a lot of points, and if she intends to leave the 3f out of her LP this season like she did last season, if she can get the landing of her 4sal consistent and manage to not UR it more than 1/2 a revolution, then I wouldn't be surprised if she put it in her program.

Thanks for starting this thread, SerpentineSteps!

With the new rules, Miki will definately bring her 3Lz+3Lo back.

The music playing is Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16 by Edvard Grieg, and it looked like it was Miki skating to it.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, SerpentineSteps!

With the new rules, Miki will definately bring her 3Lz+3Lo back.

The music playing is Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16 by Edvard Grieg, and it looked like it was Miki skating to it.

that probably is her music. it suits her, especially if she wants to do a program that is all about the jumps

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    that probably is her music. it suits her, especially if she wants to do a program that is all about the jumps
    Free Miki!

Yes, yes, I say more MIKI and less Morozov
    Last edited by janetfan; 09-23-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I agree. With the exception of Carmen at Nationals in 07/08, the programs that showcased her power were the programs that "worked" the best (Violin Concerto in 06/07, Organ Symphony in 08/09).

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Sounds like she has the right attitude. Go Miki!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    I agree. With the exception of Carmen at Nationals in 07/08, the programs that showcased her power were the programs that "worked" the best (Violin Concerto in 06/07, Organ Symphony in 08/09).
    Her exhibition pieces are always very impressive though, I especially love her Bolero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJSaRLk49Y
    She is so beautiful and expressive here

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Her exhibition pieces are always very impressive though, I especially love her Bolero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJSaRLk49Y
    She is so beautiful and expressive here
    True. Hopefully she'll have something more subtle like this one for her SP, and the powerful concerto for her FS!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    True. Hopefully she'll have something more subtle like this one for her SP, and the powerful concerto for her FS!
    Agreed. I hope she also tones her costumes down a notch. I don't see why anyone with a body as great as Miki's would want to hide it under overly fluffy, busy costumes. To me, her skating looks most impressive when she's wearing black pants that show off her lines and great air positions in jumps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ZkVS4MGnc

Her jumps look great here, and so does she! So athletic and slender, I'm jealous

Custom Title
    Damn.... I wish she would choose this transition year to go back to Expressive Ando!!

Her best programs during 2006 with Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (SP) and My Funny Valentine (LP).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qA2NDd1R9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvP0...eature=related

To bad... now she's just a robotic, jumping skater... eh

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by TtonyV7 View Post
    .... go back to Expressive Ando!! .... Her best programs during 2006 with Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (SP) and My Funny Valentine (LP) ....
    "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" is certainly one of her best programs, but to be fair Miki is much more expressive in a mature way nowadays, f'rinstance in her recent exhibition programs such as Bolero, Requiem(EX), Aranjuez Mon Amour, or Why Do People Fall in Love, to name a few.

If you are writing her off without having seen these, then there's a slight chance that you are caught in prejudice.

In her competitive programs too Miki is often "expressive" in its occidental sense of the word, such as Carmen in Nats 08 or Worlds FS 09 and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" is certainly one of her best programs, but to be fair Miki is much more expressive in a mature way nowadays, f'rinstance in her recent exhibition programs such as Bolero, Requiem(EX), Aranjuez Mon Amour, or Why Do People Fall in Love, to name a few.

Wishing Miki a great new season and lots of success.

Custom Title
    Ugh, it doesn't look like we're getting a "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" type SP this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EThJXUxMfps

Discuss.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Free Miki!

Yes, yes, I say more MIKI and less Morozov
    ITA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast