A List of Skaters Favorites | Golden Skate

A List of Skaters Favorites

janetfan

Match Penalty
I saw this at Lifeskate and thought it was interesting.
This is from an ATS press release.

Do you have an all-time favorite skating program?

Michelle Kwan – “My exhibition program, Fields of Gold.”

Yuna Kim - “Michelle Kwan “Lyra Angelica” at 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics. Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir “Symphony no.5 at 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.”

Johnny Weir - “My favorite program from my own career is probably “The Swan” my 2006
Olympic short program. My favorite programs of other skaters Anissina and Peizerat’s “Liberty,” and Evgeny Plushenko’s “Nijinskiy.”

Tessa Virtue - “No. Should I?”

Tanith Belbin - “Kurt Browning’s “Singing In The Rain.”

Scott Moir - “Jeffrey Buttle Long Worlds 2008 because I was there live and felt the energy of perfection.”

Ashley Wagner - “Tara Lipinski’s Freeskate at the ’98 Olympics.”

Stéphane Lambiel – “Swan Lake by Oksana Baiul.”

Who is your favorite skater?

Michelle Kwan – “Brian Boitano.”

Yuna Kim - “Michelle Kwan / Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.”

Johnny Weir - “Evgeny Plushenko, Irina Slutskaya and Yu Na Kim.”

Tessa Virtue - “Jeffrey Buttle”

Tanith Belbin - “Shae-Lynn Bourne was my idol growing up and is still my favorite skater today.”

Scott Moir - “Patrick Chan.”

Stéphane Lambiel – “Shizuka Arakawa.”

More can be found here:

http://www.lifeskate.com/

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Tessa's answer made me laugh too :)

And both of Lambiel's answers were interesting - I am a big fan of Oksana's "Swan" and also of Shizuka :love:

I think Yuna showed very good taste with her favorite programs.
I also loved V/M's Spanish OD even though we mostly here about their "Mahler FD."

I liked Tanith mentioning Shae and also Kurt. :)

Interesting how some skaters instinctively interpreted the question about "favorite program" as "what program of your own did you like the best?" while others thought the question was, "what program of someone else inspired you?"

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Interesting how some skaters instinctively interpreted the question about "favorite program" as "what program of your own did you like the best?" while others thought the question was, "what program of someone else inspired you?"

Heh. There was only one skater who did that.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
MICHELLE KWAN, the most self-absorbed skater of all time!

I. Want. To. Be. Absorbed. :bow:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kurt Browning's favorite program of his own is Singing In the Rain, according to a recent interview in IFS magazine. (It's my favorite program of his too) Way to go, Tanith!!

I love these responses. YuNa chose what I think is one of Michelle's two best programs ever (The Black Swan being the other), and Tanith chose maybe the best Kurt program ever. Having recently seen Oksana's "Swan Lake" program, I see why Lambiel would choose it. How nice that Michelle cited Boitano as her favorite skater--not all that unexpected, from what I've heard. I like both sets of Johnny's answers, his favorite programs and his favorite skaters. I'm not surprised that Plushenko is his favorite male skater, but somehow it's endearing that the rather ethereal Weir chose the effervescent and athletic Slutskaya and not someone like Butyrskaya or Gordeyeva.

I really don't deserve to call myself a skating fan. How did I not know of this wonderful skating site, Lifeskate? It's got so many enjoyable articles on it. Thanks so much for the link!

It's fun looking at everyone's junk food preferences. Shame on Lambiel, coming from Switzerland, not liking any junk food. Not liking chocolate? Maybe he just doesn't consider it a junk food. (I personally use it as a meat substitute.)

Krislite

Medalist
[...]
It's fun looking at everyone's junk food preferences. Shame on Lambiel, coming from Switzerland, not liking any junk food. Not liking chocolate? Maybe he just doesn't consider it a junk food. (I personally use it as a meat substitute.)

No way a Swiss would think of chocolate--especially their own variety--as "junk" food. Besides, chocolate, at least the dark variety unadulterated with tons of milk and sugar, is actually quite good for you! :p

ciocio

On the Ice
Lambiel said once that his favourite skater was Ilia Kulik ;)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not liking chocolate? Maybe he just doesn't consider it a junk food. (I personally use it as a meat substitute.)

What a creative mind!!!!! Yay for Olympia!!!!

lavender

Record Breaker
I wonder if Michelle has some other fav skaters..

Lambiel has Michelle Kwan, Carolina Kostner, Susanna Pöykiö, Sasha Cohen, Nicole Bobek, Shizuka Arakawa listed on his website as his favs

Last edited:
Well, we know that Michelle also admires Janet Lynn and YuNa.

She doesn't strike me as a chatty sort of person publicly. So I never expect to get much in the way of revelation or analysis from her. I also suspect (and I have nothing to ground this on) that like many really well-known people in a field, she's hesitant to name favorites because she worries that it will imply that she doesn't like other skaters, and she doesn't want to offend or be misinterpreted. For example, Fred Astaire was notoriously guarded about naming his favorite dance partner(s), as was Gene Kelly.

Interestingly, I'd be more curious to hear more from Johnny Weir on this subject, because he gives the impression of being very studious of his sport--much the way John McEnroe is in tennis. I think Weir seems very well-informed about Russian skating especially, and he'd probably have some interesting insights on why he likes particular skaters. Boitano is equally articulate, and I'd love his to hear his thoughts.

I love that Lambiel has such a long list of favorites. And such interesting ones! Isn't it great that he got to skate with Shizuka, one of his faves? That video is lovely--those two elegant souls interweaving on the ice.