Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A List of Skaters Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    [...]
    It's fun looking at everyone's junk food preferences. Shame on Lambiel, coming from Switzerland, not liking any junk food. Not liking chocolate? Maybe he just doesn't consider it a junk food. (I personally use it as a meat substitute.)

No way a Swiss would think of chocolate--especially their own variety--as "junk" food. Besides, chocolate, at least the dark variety unadulterated with tons of milk and sugar, is actually quite good for you!

Custom Title
    Lambiel said once that his favourite skater was Ilia Kulik
    Last edited by ciocio; 09-27-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Not liking chocolate? Maybe he just doesn't consider it a junk food. (I personally use it as a meat substitute.)
    What a creative mind!!!!! Yay for Olympia!!!!

Custom Title
    I wonder if Michelle has some other fav skaters..

Lambiel has Michelle Kwan, Carolina Kostner, Susanna Pöykiö, Sasha Cohen, Nicole Bobek, Shizuka Arakawa listed on his website as his favs
    Last edited by lavender; 09-27-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Custom Title
    Well, we know that Michelle also admires Janet Lynn and YuNa.

She doesn't strike me as a chatty sort of person publicly. So I never expect to get much in the way of revelation or analysis from her. I also suspect (and I have nothing to ground this on) that like many really well-known people in a field, she's hesitant to name favorites because she worries that it will imply that she doesn't like other skaters, and she doesn't want to offend or be misinterpreted. For example, Fred Astaire was notoriously guarded about naming his favorite dance partner(s), as was Gene Kelly.

Interestingly, I'd be more curious to hear more from Johnny Weir on this subject, because he gives the impression of being very studious of his sport--much the way John McEnroe is in tennis. I think Weir seems very well-informed about Russian skating especially, and he'd probably have some interesting insights on why he likes particular skaters. Boitano is equally articulate, and I'd love his to hear his thoughts.

I love that Lambiel has such a long list of favorites. And such interesting ones! Isn't it great that he got to skate with Shizuka, one of his faves? That video is lovely--those two elegant souls interweaving on the ice.

Custom Title
    Some of Weir's choices makes me give him a side eye.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I saw this at Lifeskate and thought it was interesting.
    This is from an ATS press release.

Do you have an all-time favorite skating program?

Stéphane Lambiel – “Swan Lake by Oksana Baiul.”
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. Now I see Stephane in a rather different light. Hmmm...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2