What will the 2010/2011 Season bring us from the MEN | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 Season bring us from the MEN

lcd

Match Penalty
I remember reading some articles in the past about KVDP that always made it clear he wanted to continue but it was very much a matter of what level of funding and support he could get, and this in turn depended on his results at key events like Europeans and Worlds.

He's such a charming veteran who manages to come through with some exciting performances. Hope he has a satisfying season.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i love Kevin (no, i m not Barbie), he stays cause he likes competing, maybe he doesnt do it for medals and he doesnt have a strong federation, thats why I admire him!and his 4-3-3 at worlds was :rock:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, getting down to specific skaters and some more thoughts....

Jeremy Abbott: PLEASE DON’T PEAK AT NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, just had to get that out. How this guy gives world champion level skates at Nationals or the GPF than underperforms at Worlds/Olympics is one of the most disappointing things about current skating. He’s got the skills to be compared to Takahashi. He just doesn’t show it at the right times. His tango program this season looks fascinating and I really hope he can skate to its level (it’s got a combination of machismo and frenzy that’ll be difficult to pull off)

Patrick Chan: I view this very much as re-grouping year for Mr. Chan. He parted from his coach less than a year ago and suffered a pretty major injury just before that. Meanwhile, he was aiming for a more difficult jump layout (including the quad). That didn't happen. It's unfortunate that it didn't happen in an Olympic year, and that the Olympics were in his home country no less, but it did. Like everyone else, I was a little disappointed he kept his POTO program. It's not a "Chan" program. It requires more outward, outsized expression - Takahashi did it, and so did Vanagas/Drobiazko (Davis/White didn't, but they were so technically superior to everyone not named Virtue/Moir that it didn't matter). But I wouldn't assign that to a Kozuka/Rippon like-skater, and Chan fits that category. On the other hand, I'm glad he's keeping the program. With the new rules in place, jumps matter more than ever before in COP. That should be his number one focus. This is Chan pre-injury: Four Continents 2009, SP. That triple axel is gorgeous. But his triple-triple combo is a little "abrupt." While he holds the landing edge on the axel quite well, the end of his 3-3 has very little flow. You tend to see that in three-jump combinations, but he has to put his foot down quite quickly after the triple toe. Seniorita mentioned something similar to this when she saw him live in Turin, and I've noticed this in general in other events as well. I'm not sure exactly the reason for it, though.

Anyway, using Liberty as our guide, he's going for a quad out of steps in the short, quad in the long as well as a 3A-3T (along with all the other stuff) which is easily the most ambitious jump layout he's given us. I'm not entirely sure why he's keeping POTO, to be honest. At first, I thought it was so he could focus on the jumps side of things, but he/Nichol are re-choreographing it considerably (apres-lui). Again, using Liberty as the example, he's taking out some of the harder transitions (which is probably wise. Though the transitions were my favourite part of that program) so he can focus on the jumps and spins (he's mentioned he finds level four spins difficult, so he's focusing on that as well).

I have to admit, the sheer level of invective hurled at him over the past year means I feel a little bit protective of him. He's such a beautiful skater - I could watch him stroke for hours without getting bored and I think his footwork is among the most athletically expressive things in modern figure skating. Hell, even Blades "don't want him on the podium" has me grumbling to myself, even if I understand where he's coming from and will admit he has a point. Under duress. In tears. But I'll admit it.

What makes him so awesome, though, his that he’s still potential. In a way, I’m glad he didn’t win Worlds/Olympics. The temptation would be there to leave (which he’s stated outright). In the same way that people are glad we got Michelle Kwan post-Nagano, it’ll be incredible watching Patrick Chan mature as a figure skater.

Brian Joubert: 5 STRAIGHT world medals. Six in seven years. He's the only skater of this quad to do a gold-medal season sweep (06-07: won both GPs, GPF, Euros, Nationals, French Masters and Worlds). He's gonna join the shortlist of great skaters that haven't won an Olympic medal (regardless of my personal opinion, natch). I have to admit that I don't think there's much more for him to accomplish (that's reasonable). I don't think he's gonna beat Takahashi or Chan and he doesn't compete for bronze. So then there's skating for the joy of it. I have to admit, I haven't seen that from him very often. There was his Calgary LP which was a delight. There was his LA ex ("Hallelujah") that surprised me for the way it suggests feeling (Joubert remains the most surface-y of major skaters for me). But other than that, I’m not at all interested in him. It’d be nice for him to go out on a high point and the narrative lover in me would have that be 2012 in Nice. I don’t want to see a slow decline – that’s just not fun for anyone and tarnishes a great career (see Domnina/Shabalin), though. I think a championship skate in Nice would be perfect climax to a storied career.

Daisuke Takahashi: He’s just AWESOME. If I were to introduce someone to COP skating and say “this is why this rocks” I’d show them Swan Lake and La Strada (along with Poeta, Camile Saint Saens and Naqoyqaatsi). The idea of Takahashi working with Bourne or Lambiel excites me immeasurably. Lambiel understands skate-performance more than anyone right now and Bourne understands COP in ways that still feels individual. I’m just excited to see what he pulls off.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I really feel Daisuke stands alone at the moment.There may be other skaters that have fluidity, or musicality or skating skills, or jumping technique but for overall excellence, I don't really think he can be bettered ..and then he has that fire on top of it all..

I'm re-posting this from the programs thread. Even though it's still somewhat rough,thinking of how his programs progressed over the season last year, I think it will be utterly fabulous. I imagine all the accents will be perfectly timed. It looks like the makings of another perfect vehicle for him. His Bourne SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpA_u331hv0

Jeremy's flamenco/tango program could be stunning but, peaking problems aside , while I think he has emotional depth , I'm not sure he can summon the pure command that level of machismo demands. I hope he can , but I don't have the same confidence in his ability to completely own the program that I feel with Dai.

I'm worried about Patrick's programs, but like Pogue, I still feel he still holds untapped potential. I'm not willing to jump all over Lori Nichol either, as some are . There's a reserve about Patrick that needs breaking down, or relaxing. These programs may represent an interim step..and I have to remind myself that my aversion to POTO might be influencing me somewhat.I'm eager to see how the jumps have progressed.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really feel Daisuke stands alone at the moment.There may be other skaters that have fluidity, or musicality or skating skills, or jumping technique but for overall excellence, I don't really think he can be bettered ..and then he has that fire on top of it all..

I'm re-posting this from the programs thread. Even though it's still somewhat rough,thinking of how his programs progressed over the season last year, I think it will be utterly fabulous. I imagine all the accents will be perfectly timed. It looks like the makings of another perfect vehicle for him. His Bourne SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpA_u331hv0 .

Thanks so much for Takahashi´s sp link!!! WOW, what a performer!!! I have been a fan for some years now, and it is wonderful to watch as he gets better and better in interpretation. There is so much command and joy in his skating.... I just hope that during the season he will gradually improve his spinning and get his jumps really consistent before 2011 Worlds.

seniorita

Record Breaker
wow, thanx for Takahashi link, he shows some attitude, where did he skate this? Yes many skaters have part of what he has got but he has all of them combined and most important he has personality on ice, he looks amazing. And if I had to choose one skater for his music choices I would pick him, he has chosen what suits perfect and every season he picks great music to skate to!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
OMG, Takahashi is doing a flying layback spin in his new SP. I don't believe I've ever seen a person actually do that. He doesn't attain a layback position in the air, though, so I wonder if it counts? Anyway, that will probably be the best Men's SP of the year.

herios

Medalist
The big question mark for me is if Daisuke could defend his world title. He has declared at the end of the season he will continue only because the worlds are in Tokyo again and 4 years ago he narrowly failed to win it, this time around he would like to win in his hometown.
In case he can do a quad, I think the rest of the field will have to skate out of their skin in order to defeat him. He has the total package and I am sure he will have the focus on the big prize and will time his season well (unlike in 2008).
The second question is to me, would the japanese guys pull a one – toe punch like Miki and Mao in 2007 and get two out of the three medals at home?

IMO both Taka Kozuka and Nobu are due for a breakout and being at home might inspire them.
3 Another favorite of mine is Jeremy Abbott, could he conquer his nerves on the big stage ?
And where this new season will take Patrick Chan and Brian Joubert?
As a Canadian, I am underwhelmed by our guy, Patrick (or Lori Nichol) could have shown more originality than to skate to music recently used by Kozuka (SP) and Takahashi (LP).
Joubert on another hand, just shocked me picking Beethoven, that is something i am more than looking forward to. Of the rest of the pack, my darkhore pick for this season is Michal Brezina.

I really feel Daisuke stands alone at the moment.There may be other skaters that have fluidity, or musicality or skating skills, or jumping technique but for overall excellence, I don't really think he can be bettered ..and then he has that fire on top of it all....

That's exactly the way I feel, Colleen. I just hope that he's able to stay strong through Sochi, because he's the kind of skater that would do honor to an OGM. But however long we have him, he's a glory to skating. He's what we wish every skater could bring to the ice. And he's skating right now, not sometime in the dear-departed past. Lucky us!

herios

Medalist
That's exactly the way I feel, Colleen. I just hope that he's able to stay strong through Sochi, because he's the kind of skater that would do honor to an OGM. But however long we have him, he's a glory to skating. He's what we wish every skater could bring to the ice. And he's skating right now, not sometime in the dear-departed past. Lucky us!

Yes, i second that. While Sochi is too far to hope we will see Daisuke skate through until then, for now I am just happy he is sticking around. And the question in my mind was just answered, he "can now land a fully rotated quad" something he failed all last year, he just did it today at the Japan open. Good for him and good for us.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpA_u331hv0

Jeremy's flamenco/tango program could be stunning but, peaking problems aside , while I think he has emotional depth , I'm not sure he can summon the pure command that level of machismo demands. I hope he can , but I don't have the same confidence in his ability to completely own the program that I feel with Dai.

I'm worried about Patrick's programs, but like Pogue, I still feel he still holds untapped potential. I'm not willing to jump all over Lori Nichol either, as some are . There's a reserve about Patrick that needs breaking down, or relaxing. These programs may represent an interim step..and I have to remind myself that my aversion to POTO might be influencing me somewhat.I'm eager to see how the jumps have progressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrDRiGjHck

OMG. he's skating to one of my favorite songs. Go Dai. :).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Adam really brought the house down at the Japan Open. He will certainly be a factor among the men this season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Brezina hasn't been skating well so far this season....I'm a little concerned, last season his jumps were so consistent! And his LP isn't even new so it's not like he's adjusting to that. Hope he bounces back soon!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm not sold on Adam Rippon. His performances lack both power and true emotion for me.

Compare Daisuke Takahashi's version of "Rachmoninov's Piano Concerto No. 2" from the 2005-2006 season to Rippon's from this season. Daisuke was even the same age that season as Rippon is this season. The former has superior flow across the ice, bigger jumps, more crispness in his movements, and FAR better expression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN22Fb8SzsU

Rippon's program has too many CoP-ified movements. That frog position he does before the Lutz combination serves absolutely no purpose in relation to the music (zzzzzzz "transition") and his other Lutz jump with both hands over his head also looks like more of a gimmick than anything of value to me. He sacrifices both height and rotation in order to do that arm position, and it doesn't highlight the music in an interesting way, leading me to think "so what?".

Nadine

Record Breaker
I love mens skating moreso than ladies, which used to be my #1 since I became a figure skating fan back in the 70s. :) But that all changed this past year with Zhenya's return to skating, and as an added bonus I fell in love with mens skating along the way. Everything has been a joy to watch. All the men! *thumbs up*

And to see the showdown at the Olympics in person was one for the ages, that's the best type of competition, when it's that close! They all won as well. Evan became the first American man to win since Brian Boitano back in 1988 (& also the 6th American man in history). And Zhenya won as well, becoming the first man since Gillis Grafstrom in 1932 to medal at three Olympiads (and only the second man in history to do so)! Finally, Daisuke Takahashi became the first Japanese man in history to win an Olympic Medal!!!!! *cheers & clapping for all three outstanding men*

With Zhenya not competing this season, I don't have any one favorite, instead I will root for them all, well almost all, lol. :D They each have different strengths and each one brings something different to the table. It will be interesting to see whom comes out on top. And not just internationally, but also nationally. For example, Daisuke Takahashi will most likely reign supreme as #1 in his native Japan, after having medalled at the Olympics and also becoming the first Japanese man to win at Worlds, so after him it will be a dogfight between Oda & Kozuka (& perhaps young newcomers as well) for those much coveted #2 & #3 spots. And maybe even one of them might have a breakthrough this season to steal the #1 spot away from Takahashi. Anything is possible. Next there are the Americans, which looks to be even more exciting (leastways for me, lol). With Evan & Johnny not competing this season, that leaves the door wide open for the young ones to come blazing through! Thus far it looks to be Adam Rippon's time to shine, but one wonders if he will fade by the time Nationals comes round, or if he can keep the momentum up! If not, there is always others close on his heels, ready to make their mark. Like Mroz, whom is even younger than Rippon by a year; this youngster has the quad, but still needs to prove that he can bring it when it counts the most. That's where Adam has him beat, thus far. And last but not least there is Jeremy Abbott, whom is the only one that impressed me moreso than Adam Rippon when I saw him for the first time at NHK last year. Alas, Jeremy appears to be a head case (not in the vein of Alyssa Czisny mind you); one moment he's brilliant, the next the complete opposite. In a head-to-head competition I would still pick Jeremy over Adam if both skated cleanly, but that margin is getting narrower by the minute. If Jeremy doesn't eventually overcome his consistency problems (he's 25 yrs. old now), then he'll be left behind in the dust, most likely choking on the dust that Adam Rippon will leave behind in his wake as he overtakes everybody else on his quest to be the very best!!!!!

:) BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Here is my prediction
US Nationals
1. Jeremy Abbott
2. Adam Rippon
3. Johnny Weir, who will make a surprise comeback when he realizes without skating he's not famous enough for a reality show

There's an outside chance Evan will realize without skating he's not famous enough, either, but I think there's only about a 25% chance of that. If he does return, push everyone down a notch.
Worlds.
6th--Adam Rippon. Good result for the youngster!
5th--Johnny Weir. A good result for the oldster, and also good enough to get him to perform a Lady Gaga routine in the exhibition, which is really why he's here.
4th--Jeremy Abbott. He won the long program, and it's really great he came up from his 16th place short program.
3rd--The Japanese boy who was cheated in the Olympics. Kozuka, I think his name is. He was like in 8th, but he should have been a few higher. It could be a number of other people (Verner, Dennis Ten, etc.), but I like him, so I'll go with Kozuka.
2nd--Takahashi. Some little mistake will keep him off the top of the podium.
1st--Patrick Chan. The transitions! The clean lines!The flow across the ice! He'd win by even more points if he didn't fall those times. Someone get Scott Hamilton a tranquilizer!

If Evan or Evgeni show up, put them in 2nd and push everyone else down.