What will the 2010/2011 Season bring us from the MEN | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 Season bring us from the MEN

gmyers

Record Breaker
Tomas Verner competed his SP at the Octoberfest competition in Barrie last night, he was clean but did 3f-3t as his combo. I don't know if this is permanent or if he will go for 4t-3t at his GP events, but I don't know what to think about this change. It will be interesting to see if he attempts a quad in the FS today. On the one hand, if doing 3f-3t means he can consistently do a clean SP, then it's probably a good move, but his 4t-3t is so good, that it sort of seems odd that he wouldn't do it in the SP just where he can do it so well. Or maybe his 4t got less consistent over the summer?

I want to see what he does in the free skate before I wonder if his new coach blamed all his problems on doing quads.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I want to see what he does in the free skate before I wonder if his new coach blamed all his problems on doing quads.

:laugh:. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case....I mean after the whole Lysacek vs. Plushenko fiasco at the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot less quads in men's competition this season. But I mean if you can do a quad then why wouldn't you do it?

mot

On the Ice
herios,

I re-read my post and realised it may be read as if Mura had not skated his lp at the National - so I'd better clarify; he did but he bombed, and the poor thing was so weak at the end that I was worried he'd not finish.

Anyway, here's a clip of his lp for this season. He managed only one combination jump and spins were a bit iffy. I think the music suits his style. (The commentary says his farther also skated to the same music when he was a competitive skater.) His quad was solid and hes triple axel is almost as high and powerful as Brezina's. I'm so looking forward to seeing him perform at NHK next week!

younggrass

Rinkside
I dont know if this is irony or not, but I meant that Oda is known to have a spectacular 4-3-3 since last season, with great rotation speed and soft landing, we saw him in practices videos but he didnt introduce even a solo quad in his actual competition programs, not even in Gpf where he needed it to win. I dont know if this is due to Morozov strategy or something else. Thats all.

Oda nailed quad toe in the regional competition last weekend, where he pulled solo quad, 2 triple
axels-one in combination with 3t, 4 other triples and 2A flawlessly.
He declared he would do at least one quad in all the competitions this season.
Let's watch what will happen.

Here's the news clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq67JXBCChY
you can see the quad around 0.27

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thanx for the clip:) I had no fear Oda cant jump, but that he needed to show it in competition :)

I wanted to say I saw a clip of Hanyu and he does a layback Ina bauer and I dropped dead:love:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Even with so many men not competing on the GP circuit the field still seems really deep and unpredictable. It will be interesting to see who qualifies for the GPF. Right now I would assume:

Takahashi
Chan
Joubert
Abbott
Oda
Kozuka
Verner
Rippon
Hanyu

All have a good shot at making it but that's 9 skaters for 6 spots and that's without Brezina, Lysacek, Weir, Plushenko, Lambiel etc and excluding wild cards like Contesti, Voronov, Ten, Amodio. Tough field....still. Ladies is much more clear cut.

Binthere

On the Ice
Men's field is sooooo deep and interesting this season. I think the deepest and most interesting vs the other disciplines. Getting onto the Japanese team for worlds should be quite a dog fight.

herios

Medalist
Men's field is sooooo deep and interesting this season. I think the deepest and most interesting vs the other disciplines. Getting onto the Japanese team for worlds should be quite a dog fight.

Agreed on that for sure, but more like a battle for the second and third place, there is no way Daisuke will miss the team, after what he just showed at NHK. His prgrams will get only better, and performance wise he is in a class of his own.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Japan's Worlds berth selection standards go like this, right?

(1) Highest standing at the GPF
(2) National title (or runner-up, if redundant)
(3) Overall evaluation

I wouldn't be surprised if Daisuke qualified for all three. Even if he falters at GPF and Nationals, he still goes to Tokyo Worlds by #3 as the reigning World Champion and Olympic bronze medalist, so no pressure. I'd like to see Yuzuru and Kozuka make it to Worlds, but the Japanese field is just so deep.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Japan's Worlds berth selection standards go like this, right?

(1) Highest standing at the GPF
(2) National title (or runner-up, if redundant)
(3) Overall evaluation

I wouldn't be surprised if Daisuke qualified for all three. Even if he falters at GPF and Nationals, he still goes to Tokyo Worlds by #3 as the reigning World Champion and Olympic bronze medalist, so no pressure. I'd like to see Yuzuru and Kozuka make it to Worlds, but the Japanese field is just so deep.

I would love for Yuzuru to go to Worlds but I think Oda is probably gonna take that spot. Most likely Yuzuru is going to go to Junior Worlds again :( If he does go to junior worlds who is going to be his main competition?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I like Oda, I really do but if they send again Hanyu to Jurior Worlds I ll be upset, he already won there, what to do now, i would send him every year to Worlds to gain experience until Sochi, the boy did a quad in his first senior and he has everything else, it looks like he is gonna be a grand skater:) Did you see his axel in sp? That was wow factor! I think a team with kozuka and him plus Dai would be the best!
Ok I have become a Hanyu uber.

NMURA

Medalist
There's no "highest standing at the GPF" or "national title" clause this year. The JSF can select anyone who fill at least one of following conditions.

(1) Top 3 of GP rankings
(2) Top 3 at Japanese nationals
(3) Top 3 of world standings

The Olympic team members fill (3) condition automatically. The others (e.g. Murakami, Hanyu, Machida) need (1) and/or (2) conditions. Skaters with one GP assignment may have little chances for worlds but 4CC is still available.

I don't think Hanyu returns to Jr worlds. He has said in an interview "I'm done with the junior." Considering the current situation of JPN junior men, they don't need maximum spots for JGP and Jr worlds anyway.

As for worlds, I believe Takahashi and Oda are lock. The third spot will go to the JSF's favorite. Hanyu made a strong impression at his senior debut. If Kozuka couldn't land a quad at GP competitions, he may lose the judges' favor and advantages at nationals. In fact, even the international judges could reconsider Kozuka's position in the Japanese men. Machida's chance is limited because he can't match both Kozuka's seniority and Hanyu's future expectations.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kozuka off the team?:unsure:
I think Kozuka started building the judges appreciation since 2009 worlds, slowly but I was hoping that this season they will notice more after two good seasons of him, if they abandon him I will be :cry:
This is when you need 4 spots...

FTnoona

Final Flight
I don't think the JSF is ready to knock Kozuka off the team yet. I think even if Takahashi, Oda, or Kozuka don't do well at Nationals the JSF will still send them to worlds. I don't think any of the new wave of japanese men are stable enough for the JSF to give them a spot at worlds. I am really impressed with the Japanese men at NHK though. All of them landed very nice quads >.<

NMURA

Medalist
I think Kozuka's "appreciation" was based on expectations, not on facts. Some young and "promising" skaters can receive undeserving high scores in some phase of their careers. If he can make a breakthrough then, he climbs to the top level (Takahashi, Lysacek, Chan), otherwise, just fall off the judges' favor (Weir, Oda, Voronov). I believe Kozuka's disaster FS in Torino was the real turning point of his career. What can we expect from such an inferior jumper? Isn't it better to invest on Hanyu as Takahashi's successor and the medal hope at Sochi?

Kozuka's "quad" record since 2008

2010 JO 4T(fall) -3.0
2010 WC 4T(fall) -4.5
2010 Oly 4T(2foot) -1.4 --> only "success" so to speak
2009 NHK 4T<(fall) -3.0
2009 COR 4T< -2.2
2009 Chubu 2T
2009 JO 2T
2009 4CC 4T(fall) -4.8
2008 National 4T<(fall) -3.0
2008 GPF 4T< -2.4
2008 TEB 4T<(fall) -3.0
2008 SA 4T<(fall) -3.0
2008 Chubu 4T< -2.4

sunny0760

On the Ice
What can we expect from such an inferior jumper? Isn't it better to invest on Hanyu as Takahashi's successor and the medal hope at Sochi?

Oh, I am not 'we'.:biggrin: I expect a lot from him because he has the most correct jump techniques and one of the best all round players, I believe. He needs a breakthrough, yes, but I will never use the term, inferior, about him in any cases.

As for Takahashi's successor, I think nobody can decide yet. Takahashi seems to continue to compete for a while.

OTOH, I heard that Takahashi and Murakami appeared in a recent TV show. They asked them if they think they will win at Sochi. Murakami said no... Takahashi hesitated and said, "No, in this state." Is this true? I wonder what Takahashi is thinking here.:think: Do you think he will compete at the next oly? Maybe 50%?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kozuka is not inferior jumper:unsure:, his jumps are high and he is smooth and light, if he had a bad skate so did some bigger names, it would be a shame to count him out just for a bad skate, in Olympics he was great!
And I thought we didnt judge skaters by quad success:cool:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Wow, NMURA, what a pile of nonsense in that post. Kozuka's QUAD at the Olympics was not two-footed and the Quad does not define a skater's entire ability. Kozuka is the most talented male skater in Japan, after Takahashi. And what's this crap about "Kozuka's career is ruined because of 2010 Worlds"??? Are we forgetting that Nobunari Oda had the biggest meltdown EVER at 2010 Worlds and did not even make the top 24?

NMURA

Medalist
Are we forgetting that Nobunari Oda had the biggest meltdown EVER at 2010 Worlds and did not even make the top 24?

Oda's worlds SP was so devastating that most people (including me) considered it as a simple accident. Food poisoning, bad water, flu or something? It won't affect his career. He landed a clean 4T and seven triples at Kinki regionals. Kozuka has never done such level of performance in his career. I say Oda is lock because he is always strong in the early seasons and keeps the momentum (and judge's appreciation) until Nationals. Kozuka usually repeats so-so and disaster performances in the same periods. Once the national and international judges consider "Kozuka is not the future of Japan", he is doomed. I think Hanyu's 4T +1.3 will put huge pressure on him. Can he handle it? We can see his metal weakness from occasional meltdowns (especially Torino and GPF in South Korea).

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kozuka is young as well, he deserves to have some bad skates, i dont remember he had any disastrous skating and I dont know why JF should drop him, Oda has landed some quads this season in local competitions as you said it but Kozuka has landed them (good or bad he has tried them) in almost all his competitions including high risk ones like olympics and worlds. Oda had a boots problem in Olympics and the disaster at Worlds, accident or not, how the judges felt about it? Or Jf? I dont want anyone to drop Oda, I m just saying, i think it is hard judgement for Takahiko this, everybody had a bad skate including Oda.