Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko writes letter to ISU

News Plushenko writes letter to ISU

“Today I wrote a letter to the figure skating federation chief Alexander Gorshkov,” Plushenko said. “I’m asking the ruling body to contact ISU to help me restore my amateur status....more.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope the ISU will do this. The presence of Plushenko definitely made the Olympics more exciting! If he wants to skate as an amateur, he should be able to do it, especially as his interest is primarily in 2014.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    It sounds like Plushenko wants to actually skate the whole Quadrennial leading up to the 2014 Olympics (I think he now knows that just coming back for 1 season puts him at a disadvantage), which is very exciting.

Custom Title
    I think Plushenko remains one of the world's most exciting skaters, and the ISU would be ill-advised to refuse him. Even at his age, with his knees, he's clearly still somewhere near the top of the mountain. And as Blades points out, it would be a lot smarter for him to skate through the quadrennial rather than just show up at the end. He'll be good for skating; he'll draw audiences in, and he might continue to advance the sport. I think that skating is lucky to have someone who's so committed to the grueling work it takes to remain at such a high level, and they should roll out the welcome mat.

The timing of this effort on Plushenko's part seemed strange until I saw the part about wanting to compete in the Japan Open next week. There has been a question about whether or not skaters need the ISU's blessing to compete in that event. Up to now Plushenko has been pretty cavalier about the whole thing, giving the impression that he would get around to seeking reinstatement when it suited him.

Custom Title
    Why didn't he do this when it happened. Think he just now realized that it wasn't going to happen just because he's Plushenko.

Custom Title
    This is so much earlier than I expected. Really I thought it would be like 2012 or 2013.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    This is so much earlier than I expected. Really I thought it would be like 2012 or 2013.
    Ditto.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Which means that Plushenko is sincere on coming back and competing. It is exciting just by thinking of his never giving up spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think that skating is lucky to have someone who's so committed to the grueling work it takes to remain at such a high level, and they should roll out the welcome mat.
    My god, I know... I can't imagine how he's contemplating sticking around to compete at the next Olympics when he'll be 31 years old. I've always held a ton of respect for him, but this...just wow. Exciting.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i was surprised too when read it yesterday about the timing, especially since he has said he wont compete this season for sure. I was expecting for him to ask it around 2012 if ever!

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Why didn't he do this when it happened. Think he just now realized that it wasn't going to happen just because he's Plushenko.
    Ignorance. The root and the stem of every evil.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    “Today I wrote a letter to the figure skating federation chief Alexander Gorshkov,” Plushenko said. “I’m asking the ruling body to contact ISU to help me restore my amateur status....more.
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    he doesnt have to reinstain with the help of his federation, the ISU rule says a skater can apply for reinstatement through his/her federation, meaning just that Plushenko must provide all the papers to ISU through RF and not by himself.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ight=Plushenko

See, Seniorita, Plushenko does not agree with you.... He needed help, LOL.

Custom Title
    All will be well, Zhenya, all will be well.

Custom Title
    If Sonja could do it, so can you! http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-Ghost-Stories

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ight=Plushenko

See, Seniorita, Plushenko does not agree with you.... He needed help, LOL.
    yeah lol indeed, i m not native english, but i knew the procedure as he says it and i had written that he cant do it by himself as a skater but only through his federation which is the body to contact with ISU, of course he needs to write them, what you had written back then was that even with a hope that his federation help him maybe ISU would not aproove, this is what my quote was about then, but since you have such good memory you know that already.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast