Plushenko writes letter to ISU | Golden Skate

Plushenko writes letter to ISU

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“Today I wrote a letter to the figure skating federation chief Alexander Gorshkov,” Plushenko said. “I’m asking the ruling body to contact ISU to help me restore my amateur status....more.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope the ISU will do this. The presence of Plushenko definitely made the Olympics more exciting! If he wants to skate as an amateur, he should be able to do it, especially as his interest is primarily in 2014.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It sounds like Plushenko wants to actually skate the whole Quadrennial leading up to the 2014 Olympics (I think he now knows that just coming back for 1 season puts him at a disadvantage), which is very exciting.

I think Plushenko remains one of the world's most exciting skaters, and the ISU would be ill-advised to refuse him. Even at his age, with his knees, he's clearly still somewhere near the top of the mountain. And as Blades points out, it would be a lot smarter for him to skate through the quadrennial rather than just show up at the end. He'll be good for skating; he'll draw audiences in, and he might continue to advance the sport. I think that skating is lucky to have someone who's so committed to the grueling work it takes to remain at such a high level, and they should roll out the welcome mat.

The timing of this effort on Plushenko's part seemed strange until I saw the part about wanting to compete in the Japan Open next week. There has been a question about whether or not skaters need the ISU's blessing to compete in that event. Up to now Plushenko has been pretty cavalier about the whole thing, giving the impression that he would get around to seeking reinstatement when it suited him.

lavender

Record Breaker
Why didn't he do this when it happened. Think he just now realized that it wasn't going to happen just because he's Plushenko.

gmyers

Record Breaker
This is so much earlier than I expected. Really I thought it would be like 2012 or 2013.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This is so much earlier than I expected. Really I thought it would be like 2012 or 2013.

Which means that Plushenko is sincere on coming back and competing. It is exciting just by thinking of his never giving up spirit.:)

prettykeys

Medalist
I think that skating is lucky to have someone who's so committed to the grueling work it takes to remain at such a high level, and they should roll out the welcome mat.
My god, I know... I can't imagine how he's contemplating sticking around to compete at the next Olympics when he'll be 31 years old. I've always held a ton of respect for him, but this...just wow. Exciting.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i was surprised too when read it yesterday about the timing, especially since he has said he wont compete this season for sure. I was expecting for him to ask it around 2012 if ever!

Why didn't he do this when it happened. Think he just now realized that it wasn't going to happen just because he's Plushenko.
Ignorance. The root and the stem of every evil.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
“Today I wrote a letter to the figure skating federation chief Alexander Gorshkov,” Plushenko said. “I’m asking the ruling body to contact ISU to help me restore my amateur status....more.

he doesnt have to reinstain with the help of his federation, the ISU rule says a skater can apply for reinstatement through his/her federation, meaning just that Plushenko must provide all the papers to ISU through RF and not by himself.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...o-loses-eligibility/page3&highlight=Plushenko

See, Seniorita, Plushenko does not agree with you.... He needed help, LOL.

seniorita

Record Breaker
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...o-loses-eligibility/page3&highlight=Plushenko

See, Seniorita, Plushenko does not agree with you.... He needed help, LOL.

yeah lol indeed, i m not native english, but i knew the procedure as he says it and i had written that he cant do it by himself as a skater but only through his federation which is the body to contact with ISU, of course he needs to write them, what you had written back then was that even with a hope that his federation help him maybe ISU would not aproove, this is what my quote was about then, but since you have such good memory you know that already.:)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I hope Plushy gets reinstated.
But I wonder why the comments on this thread all feel a bit off.

Some suggested this means Plushy wants to compete all four years heading into Sochi. Please, is there a shred of evidence supporting that?

The question that seems pertinent to me is why now, a week before the Japan Open is Plushy first writing a letter for reinstatement?

It makes me wonder if a snag has come up over his invitation to appear at the Japan Open.
Earlier Plushy had said he would skate there and his attitude was more like I dare anyone to stop me.

So why this turn around and why a letter for reinstatement right before the Japan Open?

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Earlier Plushy had said he would skate there and his attitude was more like I dare anyone to stop me.

where have he said that? he said he got an invitation for an ISU sactioned event and hoped this is a good sign to fix further the problem, I m not aware of another interview.He certainly doesnt look with attitude in the video.

janetfan

Match Penalty
We discussd this exact thing in the last Plushy thread. It was discussed in detail.

Plushy said he would skate at the Japan Open and would worry about the consequences later. He said he was invited and therefore he would appear and skate. It was very clear and we discussed it. We wondered if Speedy would come down on the JSF, and other thoughts.

My last post asked if something has come up that suddenly has Plushy writing a letter right before the Japan Open.
It is a fair question and really the only thing I am curious about.

seniorita

Record Breaker
yes it was a discussion about Tony Wheelers blog question and we figured out that since Japan Open is a sanctioned event there is no violation (since there is not pro and amateur status in ISU), he said I m invited, so I'll go, i dont know what the comment about the attitude dont dare to stop me comes from, but it is the norm I guess, plushy is the villain we all know as a fact.

janetfan

Match Penalty
yes it was a discussion about Tony Wheelers blog question and we figured out that since Japan Open is a sanctioned event there is no violation (since there is not pro and amateur status in ISU), he said I m invited, so I'll go, i dont know what the comment about the attitude dont dare to stop me comes from, but it is the norm I guess, plushy is the villain we all know as a fact.

The NBC "Villain" comment from the other thread was followed by this ":rolleye:" which should let anyone know I did not take it seriously.

AFAIK, Plushy is presently suspended and banned from appearing at all ISU sanctioned events. If you recall from the last Plushy thread I disagreed with the suspension and like most skating fans think Plushy still competing or even just appearing in shows or pro-am type events like the Japan Open is good for skating.

There is only one Plushenko and there is no one like him in all of skating.

So please view my question - not as an attack - but as a legitimate question.
I also mentioned I see nothing from the article that suggests Plushy wants to rush back to compete in GP's or Worlds this season and I believe he will comback possibly two years before Sochi as opposed to the one year we saw for Vancouver.