Evan Bates injured | Golden Skate

Evan Bates injured

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a tough break for Emily & Evan. Best wishes to him for a full & speedy recovery.

KKonas

Medalist
Terrible news. They were so looking forward to showing off their new programs at the Grand Prix. Hopefully they will be back strong for Nationals.

herios

Medalist
This is a tough break for Emily & Evan. Best wishes to him for a full & speedy recovery.

Highly doubful they could come back in time for nationals. Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but an achilles tendon surgery could be taking him out for months. Certainly more will be known after the surgery will be performed.

Achilles tendon surgery? Oh, yikes! That's what Hongbo Zhao had. That's really a challenge. On the other hand, Shen and Zhao won two of their three Olympic medals after that, and Zhao was in his thirties. So though Bates has his work cut out for him, he certainly has a role model to follow.

russell30

Final Flight
:disapp:Unusual for Ice Dancers to get this kind of injury but the discipline is getting so technical. This was also an injury for Surya Bonaly and after recuperation was never the same to restore her jumps.

As with some people that have already mentioned this it will take time for this to heal. Not sure Evan will be ready for Nationals they might have to put a void through the 2010-2011 season. Best to heal the injury completely than to rush back. But a real shame. Along with the back injuries, the achilles is a oucher!!

But all the best in recovery for Evan if this is the reported case.

I loved their Swing combo to "Let yourself Go" by Kerstin Chentworth (not sure if I got the correct spelling on that). Showed so much promise.

Binthere

On the Ice
Hearing about injuries to ANY of these athletes always makes me feel so sad. They all work so hard all year for so few chances to show their talents. Sending healing thoughts their way.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
An Icenetwork news article confirms Bates' unfortunate injury. Best wishes to him for a full recovery and supportive thoughts go out to Emily as well.

Last edited:
Oh, no!

I didn't realize it wasn't a movement injury but actually due to a skate blade. Dire news indeed.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Found out about this after midnight last night, and would like to extend my condolences & best wishes for this lovely team on this thread as well. Now I will have nobody to watch, since I only watch ice dance for S&B. Looking forward to seeing them back on the ice next season. :)

Here's my response from last night:

I just now read on fsu that Evan Bates suffered a serious injury today, wherein Emily's blade sliced into his achilles tendon, and he'll be having surgery on Thursday, at which time they will know the full extent of his injury.

For me personally, this immediately brought flashbacks to 2002, wherein one of my favorite pair couples of all-time (Abitbol & Bernadis of France) suffered the exact same thing. That is, Sarah Abitbol ruptured her achilles tendon in practice a month prior to the 2002 Olympics, dashing all hopes of competing at said Olympics. What a tough little thing she was! Continually practicing that throw 3A, of which she barely missed at the 1998 Olympics (a step out is all), and knowing she would need it for the 2002 Olympics she unfortunately injured herself. :(

Take heart, Emily & Evan, ice dance is not as hard on the foot as pairs, wherein the couple have to do jumps & land difficult ones as well. And thank goodness it didn't happen before the 2010 Olympics! Sarah Abitbol had to stay off the ice for 6 months when she ruptured hers. Rehabilitation worked wonders for her, as she & her partner of 10 years (at the time) came back wonderfully. :) As I'm sure you two will do as well. :)^)

p.s. now it's Evan's turn to be injured; recall when Emily was injured in 2007 at Jr. Worlds, wherein she fell during their FD, and Evan accidentally stepped on her left middle finger, slicing the tendon in half. And then they both came back that Fall better than ever!!!!!

Is that a message you were able to send to Bates himself, Nadine? I hope so; I'm sure it will hearten him and his partner during such a terrible time. I hope someone reminds him of Shen/Zhao as well. These days, sports medicine is tremendously ingenious, and with the right rehab techniques, amazing strides can be made in injuries that used to be career-ending.

Nadine

Record Breaker
No, I don't follow skaters on their private sites or facebook or whatnot, just post here on GS. :) But I'm pretty sure they (or their friends/teams/et al) do read the boards. :D

In general, I'm not a debbie downer, nor do I believe in thinking the worst, overreacting, et al. (8^O I know people like that in real life and I honestly can't stand them, doom & gloom always. :( As soon as I see that I turn the other way, but sometimes it's necessary, especially when I used to do caseloads. Honestly, as God is my witness, such people radiate a vibe/an energy that one can feel a mile away (I'm thinking of one case in particular). They suck the life right out of you. For these types, I would suggest yoga, meditation, taking the time to relax, enjoy one's hobby(ies), smiling, and each day saying something positive to a complete stranger.

Here's to thinking p-o-s-i-t-i-v-e-l-y! These two exude this, which is one of the reasons why they're my favs!

:)GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EMILY & EVAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about Evan's injury. The above article says that Evan will have surgery and be off the ice for six months. Wishing him a full recovery. I will miss watching Emily and Evan compete in the GP series. Besides being very talented, they always bring a bit of fun to their performances and I like that.

heyang

Record Breaker
Hope he has a good recovery - they are such a promising team.... I'm sure Emily will need support, too. Even knowing it was a freak accident, she's gonna be feeling some guilt. Hopefully, they can overcome this together.