Votes: 19 5.3%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 97 27.1%
  • YOUR suggestions?

Votes: 78 21.8%

• Total voters

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
Sasha, Jeff, and (oh my god, i'm actually going to say it) Michelle Kwan have a ton of charisma.

What about Brian Joubert? I think he's charismatic...

Kat

Flutterby156

Spectator
To me, charisma is a special quality that sets that person apart from other people. I chose Alexei Yagudin.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Alexei, surprise, surprise.

Dee

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Michelle Kwan has the greatest presence on the ice. Have you ever been to a practice session when Michelle is competing? Even when she's just skating around the rink doing nothing, all eyes are on her. It's like she is the only skater out there -- like she's the only skater in the world.

Mathman

Well, could it be because she's the 4 time World Champion and international headliner? Yes, she's great, but not charismatic. If you saw her on the street and didn't know her, you would not look at her twice. Somehow, I feel that Kurt, Rudy and Alexei would turn heads no matter WHAT they were doing, on or off ice! I think people are just magnetically drawn to these types of people.

Just a hunch.
:D

rtureck

Final Flight
I need some basic math lessons. How come others count 4, and I count 5.

After that I may need some physics lessons about magnetism.

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Yeah, Kwan got five World titles, but even that doesn't make her more "charismatic" ... :laugh:

Anke

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
Kara Bear said:
Kara votes for Kurt as she rolls her eyes as everything always comes back to MK.

Yeah, we should plead for a name change here, from Goldenskate Forums to UMKF (= Unofficial Michelle Kwan Forums). :D

apache88

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
Well, could it be because she's the 4 time World Champion and international headliner? Yes, she's great, but not charismatic. If you saw her on the street and didn't know her, you would not look at her twice. Somehow, I feel that Kurt, Rudy and Alexei would turn heads no matter WHAT they were doing, on or off ice! I think people are just magnetically drawn to these types of people.

Just a hunch.
:D

But didn't Michelle get that kind of treatment even when she was relatively new on the scene nevermind that it was not that crazy then? Recall the London crowd at 1995 Words, the reception she got in 1996, 97, 98, 99....etc. Even in 1997 when she was just a one-time Word champion, the crowd was already crazy about her. So I don't agree that she is well received by the crowd just because she's a 5-time Word champion or 7-time National champion. It's got to be more much more than that.:)

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes, doesn't it, Apache?

Now, you guys stop picking on Michelle. You are going to make her cry all the way to the bank.

Mathman

Kasey

Medalist
Well, I LOVE Yagudin, have seen him live, and the boy really knows how to work it!! :love:

HOWEVER...I had to vote for Browning! The Master of charisma, in my mind! (Even with that hideous platinum blond hair!!)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My vote is - Kurt Browning - I think Jeff B. has an appeal as well with the crowd, but Kurt has a real connection with people. He can't help himself. He loves to entertain.:love:

I voted for Michelle, of course :love: , but if I had to be truthful, I would say that no one compares to Scott Hamilton. With Stars on Ice he singlehandedly reinvented professional figure skating in the 1980s on the strength of his personality alone. This is true charisma. Skaters like Alexei Yagudin or Philippe Candeloro, yes, we enjoy their performances, but so far they have not been able to translate that appeal into anything that puts them in the league with the big boys of the sport.

Mathman

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Mathman....

I agree that Philippe has not been able to transcend his image in the sport to become "something more"....I think he has pigeonholed himself a bit with too many stripper routines! :)

HOWEVER...Alexei is still pretty new to the "ineligible" world...and young enough to have some more years in the sport. Given time, he could make his way up to the Scott Hamilton/Kurt Browning/Brian Boitano (although I don't like him!) role in skating....Playing with the "big boys" hopefully! :)

Kasey

windspirit

On the Ice
icedancingnut31 said:
Some of the russian (and bulgarian!) men are really charismatic.
Anton Sikharulidze, Roman Kostomarov, Alexei Tikhonov and Maxim Staviyski!!!!!
Staviyski is not Bulgarian. He's Russian, actually. :D

Btw, I'll take Gorsha Sur instead of Alexei Tikhonov (? :eek: ) in the charismatic men department.

Germanice

On the Ice
icedancingnut31 said:
Gorsha Sur:confused: ??? He's okay. I think Maxim Staviyski wins. I find that Maurizio Margaglio is handsome two. Or how about John Zimmerman? :love:
Personally I think being "handsome" or "charismatic" are two total DIFFERENT matters. Yes, certain people are both, but this is NOT the case when it comes to John Zimmerman ... he's "just" good looking ... in a "Ken"-doll way ... (IMO ;))!

Anke

Last edited: