Skating Costumes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Costumes

Worst thing in Oksana's was not the dress but the hair, cant describe the feeling:unsure:

I found this in FB from Flemming, very elegant picture, I just noticed the hair that doesnt move :cool:

Yeah, Oksana's hair with that fuzzy thing was not elegant. And all that pink! Like Layfan, though, I do like her swan costume. As LF says, it was a real costume, and it strengthened the balletic aura created by her skating in that memorable program.

Peggy belonged to the last generation of lacquered, immovable hair. If you ever see the wedding pictures of Elvis and Priscilla Presley, her hair is taller than she is. By the time Peggy skated pro, her hair had changed already. Janet Lynn, her skating successor, was known for her unfussy pixie haircut. I can't imagine that lady ever used a teasing comb. And then after that came Dorothy, and there was no going back!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

One of the worst costumes.:p But it certainly has become Lambiel's signature. Still I haven't found any costumes of his that I truly like.

When we talk about costumes, we won't forget Gordeeva and Grinkov

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Gordeeva and Grinkov/akdominie/GordeevaGrinkov.jpg

One of the best costumes ever!

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yeah, Oksana's hair with that fuzzy thing was not elegant. And all that pink! Like Layfan, though, I do like her swan costume. As LF says, it was a real costume, and it strengthened the balletic aura created by her skating in that memorable program.

Peggy belonged to the last generation of lacquered, immovable hair. If you ever see the wedding pictures of Elvis and Priscilla Presley, her hair is taller than she is. By the time Peggy skated pro, her hair had changed already. Janet Lynn, her skating successor, was known for her unfussy pixie haircut. I can't imagine that lady ever used a teasing comb. And then after that came Dorothy, and there was no going back!

Peggy said before her freeskates if she felt nervous she would spend more time fixing her hair and would use a little too much hairspry. She said before her Olympic freeskate she felt so nervous she used a whole can of hairspray and that her hair did not move for two weeks after that. :eek: :laugh:

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Note that these are just a few from recent years that pop into my head.

In general, my favorites fall into one of two categories:
- the modern-chic (e.g. Kiira Korpi's SP costume from the 2007-08 season and FS costume from the 2009-10 season, Yu-na Kim's SP costume from the 2009-10 season); and
- the timeless-elegant (e.g. Scott Moir's OD costume from the 2007-08 season, Laura Lepisto's FS costume from the 2008-09 season).

Definitely Scott Moir's though: simple elegance with a minor detail (the undone/deshabille "bowtie") to give it an edge. In all seriousness, a picture of him from 2008 World's was what made me start paying attention to Ice Dancing. (Sorry Tessa, this one likes men :biggrin:).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you, SerpentineSteps! The examples you gave are all beautiful (though I don't like Tessa's one in that photo). I agree that Scott Moir's costumes are almost always classic and elegant, but not all Tessa Virtue's costumes are good.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Thank you, SerpentineSteps! The examples you gave are all beautiful (though I don't like Tessa's one in that photo). I agree that Scott Moir's costumes are almost always classic and elegant, but not all Tessa Virtue's costumes are good.

... which is why I didn't mention Tessa's costume. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Last edited:
Say not a word against Toller! (Though I know you weren't.) He certainly was a milestone in outre presentation, I admit. The guy was one of the movers and shakers in men's skating, along with Curry, though. I'm so glad you found those videos of him. What gorgeous technique he had, for all his eccentricity.

Even if Curry had never been there, Toller wouldn't have won any world golds, though. He never really triumphed over school figures, so he usually started the competition in a hole. But he was the first in a nearly unbroken line of masterful Canadian men's skaters. After him followed Orser, Browning, Stojko, Buttle (with Sandhu creating the occasional spark) and then Chan. A pretty good "murderers' row" of skating greats. What delights me about that group is how diverse they all are. You couldn't look at them and spot a Canadian style, unless the Canadian style is not to iron out or standardize extreme individuality.

Speaking of Canadians--wonderful to contemplate Virtue and Moir. The truth is that Tessa could wear a paper bag, and she'd look stunning. In fact, with her, less should probably be more. That waltz dress in the deep rose that someone pointed out earlier is a sublime setting for her beauty. And Scott ain't half bad, either! I agree that he looks best in timeless, simple clothes.

That black-and-sequin outfit of Korpi's--wow! To die for. I hope her skills really improve this year, so we can enjoy watching her elegant attire.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Say not a word against Toller! (Though I know you weren't.) He certainly was a milestone in outre presentation, I admit. The guy was one of the movers and shakers in men's skating, along with Curry. I'm so glad you found those videos of him. What gorgeous technique he had, for all his eccentricity.

Even if Curry had never been there, Toller wouldn't have won any world golds, though. He never really triumphed over school figures, so he usually started the competition in a hole. But he was the first in a nearly unbroken line of masterful Canadian men's skaters. After him followed Orser, Browning, Stojko, Buttle (with Sandhu creating the occasional spark) and then Chan. A pretty good "murderers' row" of skating greats. What delights me about that group is how diverse they all are. You couldn't look at them and spot a Canadian style, unless the Canadian style is to tolerate and even welcome extreme individuality.

As Button said, "Toller is one the most influential skaters in history."
And a character as well. Anything we see today costume-wise Toller did it decades ago.

I wish I could have posted more pics of Toller but didn't see many. He was also a terrific choreogrpaher as well.

What a time for Men's skating back in the mid-70's and early 80's when the likes of Curry and Cranston were setting the artistic standards that today's Men still strive to meet.

Last edited:
It's cool when the ladies are wearing pants ...

… extremely cool: Lucinda Ruh ...

Wow! Ruh's futuristic gold bodysuit is fabulous to the max. It must flash and gleam so beautifully as she does those incredible spins.

Not to take anything from Tara Lipinski's skating, someone described her demure but fluffy white outfit (can't remember; was it the short program dress?] as saying "I am going to my first communion, and I intend to yodel." I giggle every time I read that description. You don't even have to see the photo to get a mental picture.

Sometimes simple costumes can enhance a program and keep our focus on the skaters.
This team brings back such memories.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrZXF...ayer_embedded#!

and here is another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of0C0HfQJC4

>sniffle<

I couldn't open the first video, but the second one...I don't think I breathed through the whole thing. You're right; I didn't see the costumes at all, just that gorgeous skating. Someone once wrote that it was as if G & G's hearts beat in the same rhythm. They moved as though they were a single entity. How is that even possible?

Thank God for YouTube, so their beautiful work can live on.