Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Adelina Sotnikova - flutz or not?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    122

    Adelina Sotnikova - flutz or not?

    Adelina Sotnikova made an astounding debut on the JGP in Austria. Great speed, huge jumps and mature presentation for her age but to me, she clearly takes off on an inside edge on her lutz yet did not get a "WEED". In fact, she got positive GOE's for it.

    Can someone explain this to me?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jlg...eature=related

    Also, I was very impressed with Christina Gao. In my opinion, she is on track to be the next great American skater. She was given a "WEED" for her lutz, which I agree with but Sotnikova's lutz is just as much as a flutz as Gao's.

    Help! I'm so confused. If this is the case, then this is another clear case of unfair judging.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVXvJ0Q3fY

  2. #2
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,073
    Christina's flutz is clear from a mile away, she doesn't seen to spend a single second on the outside edge.

    Adelina's is less clear and you frankly need instant reply to do so. They are only suppose to call obvious edge errors.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,014
    I think it was hard to tell if there is an Adelina flutzed from the blurry feed. However, Christina's flutz was pretty clear; grainy feed and all.

    ETA: Actually upon rewatching, I think she switches back to the outside edge shortly before take-off.
    Last edited by oleada; 09-19-2010 at 07:05 PM.

  4. #4
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    maybe it is more clear here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-fFFrrIFpY
    i love this exhibition!

  5. #5
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,058
    I can't tell if she flutz or not but she is so talented! She might just be the one to win the next olympics! She seems to have solid basics and beautiful lines.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    From the exhibition, she definitely flutzed. 0:28, it was an obvious inside edge as her toe picked.
    When they start to call on her flutz, she'll lose 2 points or so per flutz and forfeit all +GOE. So combining the SP, and LP, it would be about 10 points on the table.

    Look at Mao, she was so consistent with her flutz, and now that jump is gone all together. This girl could go down that path, and become a non factor. Whoever's coaching her now should fix this ASAP.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    278
    She had issues with wrong edges last season too. But I believed it was mostly with the Flip. When you look at her LP the edges are not clear. But I think we must wait until we get better videos with a clear replay of the jumps!

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tokyo
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Meli_Huber View Post
    She had issues with wrong edges last season too. But I believed it was mostly with the Flip. When you look at her LP the edges are not clear. But I think we must wait until we get better videos with a clear replay of the jumps!
    it's likely her next JGP in Britain if they do live stream like 2 years before, or we have to wait to discuss that until JGPF.

  9. #9
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    From the exhibition, she definitely flutzed. 0:28, it was an obvious inside edge as her toe picked.
    When they start to call on her flutz, she'll lose 2 points or so per flutz and forfeit all +GOE. So combining the SP, and LP, it would be about 10 points on the table.

    Look at Mao, she was so consistent with her flutz, and now that jump is gone all together. This girl could go down that path, and become a non factor. Whoever's coaching her now should fix this ASAP.
    When did Mao become a non-factor? And she hasn't given up on that jump.

  10. #10
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    The first jump of Adelina in Ex where she falls is not a Lutz? Sorry if I m wrong.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    The first jump of Adelina in Ex where she falls is not a Lutz? Sorry if I m wrong.
    When you mean this Ex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-fFFrrIFpY - her first Jump is a Lutz!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    When did Mao become a non-factor? And she hasn't given up on that jump.
    For the entire 2009 to early 2010. Lucky for Mao, she has the axel to compensate for her nonexistent f/lutz. Without the two axels, she wouldn't make top 6.
    This girl has no axel, without the lutz, it will be sad.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    The first jump of Adelina in Ex where she falls is not a Lutz? Sorry if I m wrong.
    Her first jump is a flutz. It was from the outside edge, but she switched to the inside as her toe jammed down the ice.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    643
    Adelina is not Mao, she has different technique and she will have her own way as a skater. And her lutz is completely different too. Why are you so sure that she will lose her jumps? She had full set of triples when she was 12, she has grown a lot since then but it didn't hurt her jumps, now she jumps even higher and cleaner than before. As for her lutz, it's not a clear flutz, it's borderline. Last year she got "!" for that, but there's no "!" anymore
    Last edited by Lucky Star; 09-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.

  15. #15
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    For the entire 2009 to early 2010. Lucky for Mao, she has the axel to compensate for her nonexistent f/lutz. Without the two axels, she wouldn't make top 6.
    This girl has no axel, without the lutz, it will be sad.
    Mao's problems last season had to do with a lot of other things other than that one jump. And it's not nonexistent. She chose not to include that jump because she wants to do it when she masters doing it with a correct edge. Besides, having a flutz is not the end of the world. It only put a skater in a disadvantaged position against someone with an absolute clean technique and strong in other areas. In Adelina's case, it's not like her peers have much better technique than she does. (besides Liza).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •