All that Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

All that Skate

^ Can you give a link to a news story?

Shows like this ("skating with the stars") have not been very successful in the past, because they couldn't find any "stars" who could skate. It did work in Russia though.

Canada has a big winner with "Battle of the Blades" featuring retired hockey stars paired with ice dancers/pair skaters. But that wouldn't work inthe U.S. because hockey players are not famous here.

Edited to add Although...Shaquille Oneal could take on Evan Lysacek on his "Shaq against the World" show, :yes:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cool!

I wonder who will be on it.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cohen wounded up on it. She and Lysacek are probably the only two ice skaters with a high profile that are still actively skating/performing in shows.

I wonder if Kwan would do it but somehow she doesn't strike me as someone who craves the spotlight. Then again, Yamaguchi didn't, either, and she did DWTS...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Cool!

I wonder who will be on it.

Haven't they already tried a show like this? And didn't it bomb?
The beauty of the Canadian "Blades" show is that the hockey players can already skate. That doesn't mean they will be good partners but there is atleast a chance and most are better than what many would have originally imagined.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I suppose the difference is that this time they will try to sell the already massive DWTS audience on this new show. And the SWTS premiere, I believe, will have a DWTS lead-in- something the other shows did not have. Still, if it's not any good, people won't watch it.

Wouldn't that be great? PBS used to broadcast the Jimmy Fund skate show from Harvard, and some wonderful skaters would perform. But in recent years, they have hidden it and I never know when it's on--if it's even still going. One wonderful skating show that did appear on PBS years ago was Kurt Browning's You Must Remember This, first seen on Canada's CBC network. That's the show, choreographed by Sandra Bezic, on which Kurt skated one of his most inspired programs ever, "Singin' in the Rain." But wouldn't it be great if PBS took a more active role in skating. After all, ratings may be low by network standards, but they're probably pretty solid for a public station, and many public TV habitues are skating fans. And we would never have to put up with "Time approximate after football overtime" again.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I suppose the difference is that this time they will try to sell the already massive DWTS audience on this new show. And the SWTS premiere, I believe, will have a DWTS lead-in- something the other shows did not have. Still, if it's not any good, people won't watch it.

I agree with mm that hockey players are not that famous in the USA. But still, in cities that have NHL teams the retired players are remembered to an extent.

If Bobby Clark was on a US version of the "Blades" show it would draw a fair sized Philly audience as he is one of the Philly's sporting icons.

Watching DWTS this season has left me bored. I don't know who most of these "celebrities" are this season and just wish a few of them could dance a little better.

A skating show with celebities who can't skate does not seem like a winner to me. I would rather watch a US version of the Canadian "Blades" show.

janetfan said:
Haven't they already tried a show like this? And didn't it bomb?

Yeah, it was "Dancing with Celebrities," on ABC in 2006 (RD's link reminded me of it). All I remember about it were (1) Tai Babilonia's partner ran her into the boards -- she had to jump up on the little ledge around the rink, then back down in rhythm to continue the act; (b) John Zimmerman fell on a side-by-side move that his celebrity partner did perfectly; and (c) after the show. winner Lloyd Eisler ditched his wife and ran off with his actress partner.

The finale came down to whether one of the semi-finalists could do a single Axel. She couldn't, and the other team won.

There was also a show called "Skating's Next Star," hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and featuring Elvis Stojko, Rudy Galindo and Oksana Grishuk as judges. It was like American Idol in that in the first couple of shows the judges were supposed to laugh at and make fun of the hapless contestants. The winner was supposed to get some kind of skating contract. They gave it to the prettiest girl, even though the other one was a better skater.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yeah, it was "Dancing with Celebrities," on ABC in 2006 (RD's link reminded me of it). All I remember about it were (1) Tai Babilonia's partner ran her into the boards -- she had to jump up on the little ledge around the rink, then back down in rhythm to continue the act; (b) John Zimmerman fell on a side-by-side move that his celebrity partner did perfectly; and (c) after the show. winner Lloyd Eisler ditched his wife and ran off with his actress partner.

The finale came down to whether one of the semi-finalists could do a single Axel. She couldn't, and the other team won.

There was also a show called "Skating's Next Star," hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and featuring Elvis Stojko, Rudy Galindo and Oksana Grishuk as judges. It was like American Idol in that in the first couple of shows the judges were supposed to laugh at and make fun of the hapless contestants. The winner was supposed to get some kind of skating contract. They gave it to the prettiest girl, even though the other one was a better skater.

Geez, I have no recollection of the second show you mentioned. :)

I like the Canadian "Blades" concept because there is a chance to see some half decent skating, or atleast some semblance of skating :laugh:

The concept of the "rough and tough" hockey players learning to figure skate seems like a natural as well. Wasn't the V/M program with the "ballerina and the jock" well received?

One of my favorites from DWTS was the the cowboy/rodeo champion. Initially he couldn't dance at all - but did work hard and got better as the show progressed. It was also fun seeing how DWTS played off the macho cowboy image when it came time for the Rhumba, the tanning, etc.

Using hockey players might not be nearly as popular in USA as it is in Canada - but still seems better to me than watching a cast of out of work celebrity wannabees with such limited skating ability.

And if they use Katia on a US "Blades" show I will watch every week :love:

Last edited:
Oh, Ty Murray! He was wonderful on DWTS. Even on the first show or so, when he was just figuring things out, at one point his partner Chelsie slipped, and his strength and quick reflexes kept her on her feet. The judges complimented him on that. I had never heard of the guy before, but I was so impressed with him that I read up on him. His hardworking approach and his quiet dignity were a real asset to the show. I'm sure a lot of people started voting for him just from watching him on the show, not from any prior knowledge of his achievements in the rodeo. (And he's like the Alexei Yagudin of the rodeo, too--during his career he won everything in sight, apparently.)