All that Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All that Skate

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wouldn't it be a really expensive thing to do? I mean, it would be like buying a one-and-half hour national broadcasting slot for an advertisement if ATS is buying the time.

It seems just more due to the usual lack of enthusiasm for figure skating shows in the US TV stations.

It would be expensive but it is not the same as a prime time buy. If the skating show were broadcast Sunday night at 8:00pm - that would be expensive.

The idea of ATS using this as advertising is not out of the question or necessarily a bad idea. And if they bought the time they would be allowed to sell advertising time. Samsung, Nike and other big Yuna corporate sponsors could certainly be expected to buy some advertising time. Anybody who wanted to advertise could buy time with the idea that the rate might be good and knowing what type of viewers to expect.

Sunday afternoons are dominated by NFL football and the Baseball playoffs are also underway. But not everybody in USA watches it and I am sure there will be some skating fans/Olympic type fans watching the skating show.

I did not say there are no TV commercials for the LA show - I just said I hadn't seen any or read about it in the newspaper where I live.

parma

On the Ice
Considering the actual show duration which should be a bit shy of one hour and the fact that it will be broadcasted across the nation at the same time, buying the slot should cost ATS at least a few million dollars even if it is off the pick hour. I don't see why they would want to do such a thing when they don't even have any concrete plans to take the ice show on the road in the US, let alone coming back to LA next year. Even if they did have tour plans and this is a sort of one hour long ad for upcoming ATS tour, why would they want to air it nationwide when their shows would most likely focus on urban centers in the US? Not likely IMO.

Last edited:
I'm watching the LA production of All That Skate right now. Holy cow, when did YuNa get such a gorgeous Ina Bauer? She's bent all the way back in her "Meditation" from Thais. Her arm movements have improved greatly also.

And now Michelle is on. She did a lovely double axel, which, considering she's been studying for her master's degree, is pretty splendid. Her Charlotte is as stunning as ever. It's so wonderful to get to see her skate again!

So as not to double post, I'll just keep editing. Savchenko and Szolkowy are so elegant, and their throws are sooo high. I'm so glad they're in this show. And now here come Shen and Zhao, doing an adaptation of Turandot.

Shen and Zhao are so fluid and powerful, and they project such a deep emotional bond with each other. They just did a sort of delayed lateral throw lift. Can they control the movement of the air around them? It sure looks as if they can.

Michelle skated her Winter Song. It's mesmerizing, with intriguing footwork and unusual positions. I didn't expect a bunch of jumps, considering her schedule, but I'm so glad she skated something with some choreographic complexity and unexpectedness rather than just posing or drifting prettily across the ice.

Now Tessa and Scott are skating. It's a slow piece, very appealing but of course nothing like the Mahler...although she did just balance herself on one leg on his back. Pretty impressive, that.

Last edited:
Well, now we know the answer to the question of who will buy advertising for the show. The principle sponsor seemed to be "visit beautiful South Korea."

I thought Patrick Chan's Take Five was great.

Advice to singers who want to cover the Beatles: If you must mess with that superb classic I Want to Hold Your Hand, do whatever you want with it, but don't leave out the beat!?

On the other channel, Lions 44, St. Louis Rams 6. :rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, now we know the answer to the question of who will buy advertising for the show. The principle sponsor seemed to be "visit beautiful South Korea."

Advice to singers who want to cover the Beatles: If you must mess with that superb classic I Want to Hold Your Hand, do whatever you want with it, but don't leave out the beat!?

I liked the Korean Air commercials :)
And Yuna looks way prettier on a big TV screen than a YouTube clip.

Sometimes I forget that watching clips on my computer is not the same as seeing skating on TV. I enjoyed the show and even thought the duet came off better on TV.

And good for those group numbers too as they always provide enough time for meaningful kitchen/bathroom breaks ;)

I agree about Patrick - his skating is so smooth and I liked the "Take Five"
As others mentioned - Lambiel is great and the best show skater since Kurt Browning.

Last edited:
I'm zipping back and forth between the two All That Skate threads...I agree that Chan was wonderful doing "Take Five." He's definitely rewarding to watch both in competition and in show skating. I hope he stays near the top of the list of contenders during this Olympic cycle.

parma

On the Ice

Seems like all those sponsored the show also bought TV ads as well, plus Progressive. Overall, maybe a bit too short, but an entertaining 1 1/2 hour show with nice editing and fun fluffs. Hope ATS comes back to the US and is aired on NBC again next year.

aurora100

Final Flight
Seems like all those sponsored the show also bought TV ads as well, plus Progressive. Overall, maybe a bit too short, but an entertaining 1 1/2 hour show with nice editing and fun fluffs. Hope ATS comes back to the US and is aired on NBC again next year.

Only caught a half of the show but the show looked slick. I think one big difference about this production in terms of money making viability compared to other skating shows, which have been going down so much in North America, is the popularity and marketability of yuna and ice skating shows in Korea. The show makes tons of money in Korea so they don't really have to in the US. An exposure of Yuna and Korea in the US media for an hour and a half only adds to the prestige of yuna's name in Korea. This could only be good for skating fans in North America like me. I was just so happy to see all the skaters on the main network on this Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. Go Yuna! :thumbsup:

krenseby

Final Flight
I just had a great idea. They could bring back show skating and pro competitions at the same time. SOI against All That.

"And now, in the schmaltzy duet category, it's Alissa and Sasha against Yu-na and Michelle..." :rock:

So who would win? Did you think Alissa and Sasha did a better job than Yuna and Michelle?

R.D.

Record Breaker
So who would win? Did you think Alissa and Sasha did a better job than Yuna and Michelle?

I think Cohen/Czisny was better choreographed, at least. Not sure about who did the "better job" though, since I saw only one of them live, and had to watch the other on TV.

I don't think the "Hero" piece really highlighted and complimented Kim's and Kwan's strengths really well, to be honest.

I think Yu-na and Michelle had to play it simple because they did not have much rehearsal time. Didn't Yu-na have to learn her part with David Wilson standing in for Michelle? Sasha and Alissa at least got to perform their number many times on tour.

Duet with Sasha and Alissa? I didn't know there was one. Then, thanks to you guys, I headed to YouTube. What a lovely, inspired idea to get two such compatible skaters to perform a duet and to set it to that wonderful Delibes "Flower Duet." The music so suits these two balletic skaters, as does the choreography. I agree that we couldn't expect such synchronicity from Michelle and YuNa for this show, because they couldn't even rehearse in the same time zone. It's fabulous to have seen both sets of skaters. Thanks for the alert!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Duet with Sasha and Alissa? I didn't know there was one. Then, thanks to you guys, I headed to YouTube. What a lovely, inspired idea to get two such compatible skaters to perform a duet and to set it to that wonderful Delibes "Flower Duet." The music so suits these two balletic skaters, as does the choreography. I agree that we couldn't expect such synchronicity from Michelle and YuNa for this show, because they couldn't even rehearse in the same time zone. It's fabulous to have seen both sets of skaters. Thanks for the alert!

When you think of it Alissa and Sasha seem to share similar qualities - great spins, spiral positions, etc.
Michelle and Yuna maybe not as much - but it was a nice idea and considering they couldn;t spend time polishing it let alone come up with something more intricate it was OK.
I enjoyed it more on TV than I did on YouTube clips. The other thing is that Yuna fans seemed to enjoy seeing Yuna skating with her inspiration.

I actually liked Michelle's programs better yesterday from when I first saw them on YouTube.
Maybe it is because the better you can see them the more there is to appreciate.
Michelle also seemed to be enjoying herself - and that was nice to see too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwan was never really my cup of tea, but nevertheless it was nice to see her back out on the ice, enjoying herself.

fairly4

Medalist
personally i was impressed with how much we saw in the 1hour and 1/2. we saw 11 numbers--the opening, closing, boys numbers, girls number-she so lovely,1 number each patrick chan's, stephane lamibeil-he doesn't skate like he use to-(his jumps & spings)to but he definitely skates for the audience and make you want to join him on the ice.;german pair team, viture & moir's, belbin & agosto's, zhen & zhou's,johnny weir's, hero number, and 2 of michelle's and yu-na's number which makes it 11.
we didn't see only 9 of them--sorry both of them missed ashley 2 numbers, would have like to seen a little of her at least, i know they showed a bit of her in the lady number and the closing but not enough in my estimation, 1 of patrick's, johnny's, belbin & agosto, virtue & moir ; zhen & zhou', stephanes, german pair team which counts for 9 .
it was nice to watch

Agreed, Fairly. I thought the program was very generously presented. They gave a great balance of programs, with the jazzy and the lyrical, and I was pleased that instead of showing every one of the Americans' programs, they widened the field and showed, for example, Aliona and Robin (not likely to be well-known to general American audiences) and Patrick Chan (ditto), who are really fine skaters deserving of an audience. And that they showed Shen/Zhou and Virtue/Moir, who are so splendid but again might not be known to most American non-skating fans despite their gold medals. Of course they had to show every last drop of Michelle and YuNa, and that was a treat in itself, because we got to see them skate in different styles and to spend time with Michelle (after such a long drought). So all in all, we got a pretty good deal considering we weren't there for the live performance.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I can't wait to watch this. I taped it at my home this weekend while I was away, but then I went back to school without the tape. I won't be able to see it until next weekend, lol.

Layfan

Record Breaker
For those like me who don't get NBC, here is pretty good quality footage of Michelle's winter, complete with cheezy fluff a the beginning.

Spiral and falling leaf split as gorgeous as ever and a double axle and a triple. And her joy. Good enough for me after so many years. Ahhhhh.... Michelle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlZJd3yu_Y

As for the duet, if I have to watch anyone do anything that schmaltzy let it be Michelle and Yuna...

Last edited:

barton9

Spectator
Does anyone know if NBC is broadcasting this on their own nickel or did ATS buy the time?

You obviously don't understand the meaning of the words "BUYING AIRTIME ON TV"

Advertisers(like Coke, Progressive, etc.) pay dollars to air commercials on programs and

Selling air time to advertisers generates much of the income the media need to function.

Do you know what i mean?

Remember ATS is not the advertiser.