Remember when Brezina was robbed of the Worlds Silver medal? | Golden Skate

Remember when Brezina was robbed of the Worlds Silver medal?

gmyers

Record Breaker
He is trying to add a quad! He could be cruising with his triple programs but he decided to do something new.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
He is trying to add a quad! He could be cruising with his triple programs but he decided to do something new.

Yeah, props to him for trying the 4s. His season isn't getting off to a very good start though so I hope things will turn around for him in time for the GP series.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yeah, props to him for trying the 4s. His season isn't getting off to a very good start though so I hope things will turn around for him in time for the GP series.

I don't give too many props to skaters attempting jumps they always miss. Dai in particular was reported to have missed every quad he tried all week long in practice sessions in Vancouver.

Sometimes lightning strikes ...... and for skaters that want to gamble and go for broke all I can say is they know the RULES.

I see nothing wrong with a younger skater like Brezina trying to work a quad into his programs. If he lands it great - give him big points. And if he misses - I see no reason to give him any points whether he rotated four times in the air or not.

But this idea that he deserves some credit for screwing up or some kind of bonus points just for trying seems idiotic to me. My CoP nightmare is for a skater to try a quad. He falls - and yet the tech panel thinks he might have actually rotated FIVE times in the air. :eek:

Oh my, he should be forgiven for kissing the ice and receive full credit for the quad since he rotated more than four times in the air. How unfortunate to think that way and throw away the tradition of the quest for perfection.

That is the day I stop watching.........

Skating, like most sports has rules and rightfully rewards success and punishes failure. If it was different - why would anybody care?

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
I think quads are the worst thing to happen to mens' skating since ..... well, ever, so no props for trying a big ugly jump that takes too long to set up and sucks too much choreography out of the program.

seniorita

Record Breaker
who said he wasnt punished for the rest of the program, did you see his marks? he got punished for the pops and the combos that did not succeed, and was punished in his pcs as well cause it bothered his choreography and slowed him down at the end.
All people say is that he intorduces a new jump in his program and it is normal to lose focus, this time it was bad , next time it might be better. How we judge the progress of the skater in one two competitions, season just started. He will get used to his new layout and the fact that he was successful last season. Takahashi admitted he lost focus because he suceeded in quad and wasnt expecting it and popped the 3axel after from losing concetration, everyone needs adjustment.

NMURA

Medalist
IMO a six triples FS isn't worthy of a medal at senior worlds, even if perfect.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If a skater can do a quad and land it consistently enough, I see no reason for them not to do it. I mean Ryan Bradley usually doesn't score that well even with his quads, so what good would it do him if he left the quad out? Tomas Verner's 4t is one of his more consistent jumps (ironically enough), and he has a tendency to pop or double easier jumps at the end of his programs, so it makes sense that he should always try the quad because he has a really big, nice 4t and if he lands it that serves as a buffer, allowing him to double a couple jumps at the end and not have it kill his score. I'd actually like to see Tomas go back to having two 4t and only one 3a in his FS because his 4t is better than his 3a and he often seems to pop the 2nd 3a into a 1a. The same thing goes for Joubert who is prone to mistakes, his planned quads in both the SP and FS allow him to make a couple glitches and still stay on the podium.

Jeremy and Dai it seems like last season they rarely landed their quads so for them I get leaving it out, but for the rest of the men who do the quad and actually land it most of the time (Plushenko, Joubert, Verner, Bradley, etc), I think it's a smart move.