View Poll Results: Who is your favorite choreographer?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lori Nichols

34 18.48%
  • Marina Zoueva

18 9.78%
  • David Wilson

59 32.07%
  • Nikolai Morozov

6 3.26%
  • Tom Dickson

12 6.52%
  • Tatiana Tarasova

20 10.87%
  • Elena Tchaikovskaia

2 1.09%
  • Machiko Yamada

0 0%
  • Lar Lubovitch

3 1.63%
  • Someone else

30 16.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite choreograher?

Rinkside
    Sarah Kawahara. Simply the best! Two emmys, hall of fame. It's not just for competition, it's creating a personality with movement that draws you into the moment.

I like Sasha Zhulin. He always manages to bring something really sexy to ice -dance. Remember when Anissina & Peizerat skated "Susana"?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, I do. I that program. With all the crap going on over the ice dance/pairs scandal in 2002, it wasn't shown much in the US. The gala was broadcast in the middle of the night. Good thing I taped it

But now it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9yE3ZVXsE

Custom Title
    Tom Dickinson and David Wilson. David because he's given me some of my favorite Yu-na programs: Lark Ascending, Bond, Danse Macabre, etc, and Tom for his original technical layouts and interesting footwork sequences- the footwork sequence he created for Yukina Ota's Madame Butterfly program springs to mind

Rinkside
    Tom Dickson and Matt Savoie were a magical combination (anyone remember his skates to The Mission and Adagio for Strings? Droolworthy!)
    David Wilson and Jeff Buttle's '05 Naqoyqatsi program
    Lori Nichol for her work with Shen/Zhao (Nutcracker being a standout) and Kwan. I also love the program she choreographed for Joannie in 08/09 to Aranjuez (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g)
    Loved Tatiana's choreography for Cohen (Malaguena, Dark Eyes, etc) and Yagudin.

It's not so much the choreographer sometimes as it is the skater. The skater is the vehicle. A choreographer can create a wonderful program for one skater, but another skater doing the same program could easily fall flat.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mystichaze View Post
    Pasquale Carmalengo.
    +1. His programs for Takahashi are to die for. And Weaver/Poje short dance was amazing, too.

Custom Title
    As it was possible to vote for only one, I chose Lori Nichols, but she and David Wilson are equally great, in my opinion.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    These days? David Wilson, Tom Dickson and Catarina Lindgren come to mind but of all time? Without a hint of hesitation, BRIAN WRIGHT. He was brilliant!

Mashimaro on Ice
    Lori Nichol (in her prime) and Sandra Bezic.

Nowadays, I pick Tom Dickson. (underrated imo)

Marina Zoueva HANDS DOWN !!!

The masterpieces she has given us with the programs of Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, the Shibutanis etc are nothing but exceptional.

Banned
    Interesting to note the ommissions. I think of this in terms of "competitive" choreographers and how they make the most of the rules and the context provided for competitive skaters. In this regard, I completely agree that Marina Zoueva is exceptional. The work she has done for the top 3 ice dance teams in the world is a treatise on accomplishment.

In terms of choreography for skating purely for performance or entertainment, it is another matter. I guess the example that most comes to mind where this distinction is relevant to me is Christopher Dean. Looking back upon his trove of work over the years, there is much that is memorable, and so too to admire. Thinking of how "successful" his work has been in a competitive context however - and for that matter, whether he warrants similar regard - is another matter entirely, and unfortunately.

Custom Title
    This voting booth seems dormant but this season the name to add or break out of "other" is probably Jeffrey Buttle.

Custom Title
    I used to like Matveev's choreography for Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze, early in their career. 'Dark eyes' showcased their speed & power, while 'Concert for coloratura' showcased their finesse, lyrical quality and lines.

Igor Bobrin's choreography in their chaplin programs was very creative (both competition and exhibition programs).

Alexander Zhulin is a really good choreographer for pairs, even though he was an ice dancer. B&S's 'Smooth' exhibition and Ina-Zimmerman's eligible programs which he choreographed were very creative and good.

Rinkside
    David Wilson has a way of bringing out the best in a skater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast