TV Alert - On Now !!!! All That Skate NBC

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It began at 1:30 PM NBC CST

Just caught it!!

Saw Belbin & Agosto, Yuna Kim, Patrick Chan, Michele Kwan, now Stephane Lambiel. Yuna said she & Michelle are going to skate together.

Yuna & Michelle skated to Hero. Yuna was so gracious that she presented Michelle as her role model. The gave me goose bumps when Yuna did her beautiful esquisite layback and Michelle intertwined her with her signature layback. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Shen & Zhao are skating now. They skated to Turandot; it was so reminiscent of their 2003 Worlds Long Program.

Johnny skating to his Pokerface program.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of what I reported on the other thread

I'm watching the LA production of All That Skate right now. Holy cow, when did YuNa get such a gorgeous Ina Bauer? She's bent almost all the way back in her "Meditation" from Thais. Her arm movements have improved greatly also.

And now Michelle is on. She did a lovely double axel, which, considering she's been off studying for her master's degree, is pretty splendid. Her Charlotte is as stunning as ever. It's wonderful to get to see her skate again!

Stephane is a fabulous performer. He did both a solo and a sort of group dance-off against some B-Boys (a kind of hip hop, for those who haven't come across this style) who did their moves mostly on a non-ice surface. Of course the b-boys are very quick, and the only one who really seemed to keep up with them was Stephane with his eyepopping spins.

So as not to double post, I'll just keep editing. Savchenko and Szolkowy are tremendously elegant, and their throws are sooo high. I love the death spiral variation where Szolkowy holds onto Aliona's hand and spins so that she flies through the air. Gordeyeva and Grinkov used to perform that variation, and I've always found it thrilling.

And now here come Shen and Zhao, doing an adaptation of Turandot. It has a different musical arrangement (including a bit of vocal by Pavarotti, if I'm not mistaken--a distinctive honeyed tenor) and of course different choreography. Shen and Zhao are magnificent as always, both lyrical and powerful, and they project such a deep emotional bond with each other. They just did a sort of delayed lateral throw lift. Can they control the movement of the air around them? It sure looks as if they can.

Michelle has skated her Winter Song. It's mesmerizing, with intriguing footwork and unusual positions. I didn't expect a bunch of jumps, considering her schedule, but I'm so glad she has performed something with some choreographic complexity and unexpectedness rather than just posing or drifting prettily across the ice.

Now Tessa and Scott are skating. It's a slow piece, very appealing but of course nothing like the Mahler...although she did just balance herself on one leg on his back. Pretty impressive, that.

YuNa really contributed a lot to skating by mounting this show, and then giving an encore performance in the States so it would be televised here. The performers are wonderful and the choreography is of a very high quality. What a delight to be able to see so much of it for myself.

Final ensemble thoughts: I think I may have just seen the most beautiful dress Michelle has ever worn. It's a simple outfit in her usual silhouette, but midnight blue. YuNa has on a similar dress in deep garnet red, edged with black. I also feel that there ought to be a rule that no ice show should ever be mounted without Stephane Lambiel. He belongs in interpretive shows; he's so quick-moving yet jazzily fluid, and his personality seems so easygoing.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
whole post

Promise me Olympia that you will never cease to write long, detailed accounts and opinions! I've always thought that Yu-na's ina bauer is just stunning but wow... she took it to another level with this performance <3 And I feel like her layback is getting better- or am I insane?

Watching Stephane was absolutely joyful! He's such an infectious, joyous skater; just look at how he smiles and flirts with the audience and is so into the music! If there was ever such a thing as Broadway on Ice, he would be perfect for it.

shine

Record Breaker
^^ I agree that Stephane was absolutely joyful. His personality really shines through in these shows. There's something so natural and genuine about his skating. It's too bad that he never really performed in the US until now, but I knew that once he got there, skating fans would just fall in love with him! Talk about bringing the house down!

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
^^ I agree that Stephane was absolutely joyful. His personality really shines through in these shows. There's something so natural and genuine about his skating. It's too bad that he never really performed in the US until now, but I knew that once he got there, skating fans would just fall in love with him! Talk about bringing the house down!

All I can say is, if this is his first time performing in the US, then US figure skating fans have been missing out on something amazing. The entire time he was skating "Let the Good Times Roll," it was like he was sharing a private joke amongst all the audience and just laughing and breezing without a care through the program :3

I really hope that Yu-na or some other major skater will bring more shows like this to the US; now THIS is something people will be willing to spend money on. Stellar cast, excellent programs, beautiful outfits (the ladies and men were all dressed perfectly for the finale), great production, special effects, live music... who wouldn't want to go to such a show!

Btw, All that Skate sounds like a Broadway name doesn't it? :3

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sadly I don't get to see it, we've got Equestrian... back to the Law & Order Marathon

Tonichelle, we have equestrian now as well. Is it possible that the network has flipped the programs for your time zone? Don't give up. Check your channel after the equestrian program.

lavender

Record Breaker
Michelle look great. My hubby thought Michelle look really great. He couldn't tell that she hasn't been skating.

fairly4

Medalist
impressed with how much of the show i actually saw. 11 numbers seen versus 9 not seen. in only 1 hour and 1/2.
i am pretty sure i haven't seen that many numbers with Img and dission skating shows usually 8 numbers in 2hours where i see it due to commercials

I thought Michelle looked really, really, really great. My wife thought she looked OK. :)

Good one, Math. I was wowed by Michelle too, principally because I've missed her so much and she's clearly missed us as well. She looked so thrilled to be there, and her radiance practically added wattage to the lighting. I also thought she looked fit and strong, and that her costumes were really beautiful rather than just glitzy. That bronze-ish sequin number was a wonderful color for her, and I adored the midnight blue finale dress, but I also loved the dusty teal color and the cut of the "Winter" dress. (Sorry...I'm having a fabriholic moment.) Best of all, one can see that Michelle's charismatic ease still is full strength. Everything about her just makes me happy to be alive and watching a skating program right at that moment.

So I guess that counts as really, really, really great from here, as well.