Tessa Virtue has surgery, will miss Skate Canada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue has surgery, will miss Skate Canada

KKonas

Medalist
Very disappointing that she needs another surgery, but I hope Tessa recovers quickly. It's got to be hard on Moir as well.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's sad to hear about Tessa and I hope she is able to make a full recovery.
I am not the biggest Dance fan but I like it at times and love V/M - my favorite Dance team since the Duchesnays.

Best wishes to Tessa and Scott.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh darn, I was so looking forward to seeing V/M's new program for the new season ahead. I do hope all goes well with Tessa. It's a shame to see skater after skater side-lined by injury...all the best to them both.

:bow:

Johar

Medalist
As someone who has suffered from compartment syndrome, I will say that it SUCKS! The test for it are brutally painful. Even after surgery I was never able to jog or run.

Get better soon. Tessa. Please have better results than me.

ThePointblank

Spectator
More information and a update: it appears that she was in so much pain last season during the Olympics, the 3 minute walk to the cafeteria from her assigned room had to be carefully planned by a Team Canada doctor so she could make it. Tessa is apparantly pain-free right now, but she has no intention of rushing back as she just came off crutches.

herios

Medalist
She's off crutches from after the surgery? That's good news.

Tessa and Scott were interviewed during the SD transmission on CBC and they said she is pain free now, but they will see how she feels when she goes back to training.
They want to have a long career and is not worth not rushing back. Something like that

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, so do I. Then you could tell who could support a tourniquet and who couldn't. Not to mention about who needs to be careful in athletic training. I wonder whether it has to do with the elasticity of the person's muscle fascia, and whether that could be measured in some non-invasive way (that would be the trick).???

Johar

Medalist
Mine got so bad that....the "breaking" point was the day I couldn't even walk slowly from my house to the end of the block without my legs going numb/unable to move from blood being trapped, while an elderly man jogged past me. When I stopped I could feel the blood travel up the leg.

I did develope this after a large weight gain due to a Depo Provera birth control shot. Wonder if that caused it?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My husband's developed after a blockage occurred in his leg (plaque? a blood clot?) following abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery. He required 2 fasciotomies, not to mention 13 days in intensive care, and 63 days total in hospital. 10 years later, pain is still an issue.

I also understand that gunshot victims and motorcycle accident victims often develop the problem.

A friend of mine got it when she started a walking campaign to get healthy. It damaged her peroneal nerve; took over a year to completely recover. No one was able to explain to her why she suddenly had a problem.

The issue seems to start with trauma or the leg swelling, for whatever reason.

It is not only legs that can have compartment syndrome.

Johar

Medalist
I also feel it in my arms the past few years. The sensation has been increasing there. Also when I cross-country ski, I have to take a rest every 10 minutes because I feel it in my feet.