Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ladies

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    ^^ And if that does happen it'll be easy for her quickly substitute because I'm sure she'd be at the stands watching

Looks like Zijun brought her 2axel/3toe! YAY!

Rinkside
    Too bad for Zijun Li. :( But hey, let's not forget that we just saw Vanessa Lam rock her JGP debut! Congrats!

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    ^^ Yes to that. If anything, Vanessa was robbed of her opportunity to make the JGPF by not being given a second assignment. Can't wait to see Vanessa skate! Junior ladies are so exciting these days!

Custom Title
    Poor Vanessa, she could have won at several other Grand prix events.
    She couldn't even go to the JGPF.

Custom Title
    Too bad for Zijun Li :( Bad luck, she deserved to qualify more than Gong or Baga ((
    Want to see Lam, great debut! Seems she can rotate her jumps which is good ))
    Junior ladies this season are really strong, all the finalists except Gong and Baga scored more than 100 points for the FS and two of them even more than 110! JGPF will be very interesting

Custom Title
    Times like this, I really, really despise the ISU's system of awarding points on placements without taking relative scores into account. Zijun Li is currently a better skater than Baga and probably Gong also. She should be in this Final. Would get a big crowd boost since this year it's in her home country. I hope she keeps practicing diligently and improving. You never know--so far this season, the way elite skaters have been dropping like flies from chronic and sudden injuries, she might still get a chance.

And for Juniors at least, the USFS needs to reconsider making assignments based primarily on previous year's nationals. They look pretty stupid about now, not assigning Lam earlier to see how she did on the chance that she at least had the jumps to do well enough in intl comps...instead of wasting a precious entry with someone completely uncompetitive at this level, like Davis.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 10-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dancing_tessa View Post
    Too bad for Zijun Li. :( But hey, let's not forget that we just saw Vanessa Lam rock her JGP debut! Congrats!
    Maybe we'll see Vanessa Lam & Zijun Li meet up at JW.
    It will be a brutal contest at National's, not just to qualify for WC but also JW. Among the contenders for WC team:
    Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, Agnes Zawadszki, Christina Gao
    At least four of them will not make it, and all but Ashley is still eligible for WC, though I expect some will go to 4CC and give up on JW (I can't see Caroline, Mirai, or Rachael back at JW).

Then among the top juniors:
    Yasmin Siraj, Vanessa Lam, Leah Keiser, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Kiri Baga, Kristiene Gong, Gracie Gold, Mary Beth Marley, Katarina Kulgeyko, Nina Jiang...
    and I'm sure I've forgotten some!

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    ^^ And if that does happen it'll be easy for her quickly substitute because I'm sure she'd be at the stands watching

Looks like Zijun brought her 2axel/3toe! YAY!
    Yes, you are right! Glad to see her first ratified 2A-3T in competition, though with -GOE. She's definitely improving throughout this season. She's only 13 so she's got a lot of potential for getting better and better. If she's got 2A-3T now, I think she's got a good chance of mastering a 3-3 reasonably soon in the future.

And bigsisjiejie, you're right, it would've definitely boosted interest and attendance for JGPF in Beijing had Zijun qualified for it. I'm a little worried how poor attendance will be at GPF and JGPF. In the past, skating competitions haven't been well attended. Shen/Zhao's wedding show was a great success, so may that boosted interest somewhat, but there's nothing like a home player to root for to bring people out onto the stands...

Custom Title
    It was very narrow all around. Polina with Bronze. I thought she would win but she made mistakes on lutz's. Couldn't afford any.

Custom Title
    I think the gold medalists should automatically advance to the final.
    This year, they would be Polina, Liza, Risa, Adelina, and her. Then Yasmin, Christina. And the final spot open up for whoever.

Ex: Plushenko is more than qualified to advance to the final last year. This year, Kavaguti and Smirnov only competes in 1 event, and I think they are better than half of the team that will be going to the final. Vanessa Lam can definitely beat out Risa, Polina, Yasmin, Kristiene, and Kiri in the Final. It's too bad the way the points add up because better skaters are staying home.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It was very narrow all around. Polina with Bronze. I thought she would win but she made mistakes on lutz's. Couldn't afford any.
    The other girls got downgrades, edge calls, and shaky landings as well. If they were all clean, Polina would still get the Bronze.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Maybe we'll see Vanessa Lam & Zijun Li meet up at JW.
    It will be a brutal contest at National's, not just to qualify for WC but also JW. Among the contenders for WC team:
    Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, Agnes Zawadszki, Christina Gao
    At least four of them will not make it, and all but Ashley is still eligible for WC, though I expect some will go to 4CC and give up on JW (I can't see Caroline, Mirai, or Rachael back at JW).

Then among the top juniors:
    Yasmin Siraj, Vanessa Lam, Leah Keiser, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Kiri Baga, Kristiene Gong, Gracie Gold, Mary Beth Marley, Katarina Kulgeyko, Nina Jiang...
    and I'm sure I've forgotten some!
    What about JW in Russia! Liza, Adelina, Polina S, Polina A, Rosa, Anna if she's recovered, and then a bunch of wildcards all battling it out for 3 spots!

Kiri and Kristiene got lucky, but hopefully they can make the most of this opportunity and work to become more competitive with the rest of the field between now and the final. Zijun and Vanessa really are better skaters than those 2 but I guess that's just the way things work out sometimes. I'm still sad about no Ovcharova on the JGP this season, I miss that girl, she always brought the voids, but maybe (hopefully) we'll see her at JW. I think the international judges don't like Polina S's programs and Kiri's LP this season, looking at the marks. I wonder if either girl switches, I really liked Kiri's LP at JW last season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Times like this, I really, really despise the ISU's system of awarding points on placements without taking relative scores into account. Zijun Li is currently a better skater than Baga and probably Gong also. She should be in this Final. Would get a big crowd boost since this year it's in her home country. I hope she keeps practicing diligently and improving. You never know--so far this season, the way elite skaters have been dropping like flies from chronic and sudden injuries, she might still get a chance.

And for Juniors at least, the USFS needs to reconsider making assignments based primarily on previous year's nationals. They look pretty stupid about now, not assigning Lam earlier to see how she did on the chance that she at least had the jumps to do well enough in intl comps...instead of wasting a precious entry with someone completely uncompetitive at this level, like Davis.
    Maybe next year they will finally change things. Because last season, DeeDee Leng was the US junior champion but only placed 7th at her JGP, and then Ellie who was the silver medalist qualified for the final but didn't get really high scores at any of her events. Plus Lindsay getting bronze at nationals was sort of flukey, because she managed that by placing 5th in the SP and 4th in the LP, due to Nina skating so much better in the LP than SP, and Kiri and Angela skating so much better in the SP than LP.

At the same time though, summer competition results aren't always the most telling. Cesario, Wang, and Gong all looked great this summer and were posting big numbers but then didn't faire as well on the JGP because of URs.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I'm a little sad though that we won't get to see her skate again until JW.
    Well there's always Chinese Nationals, which seem to be well-covered judging from the number of YouTube videos. Except I'm always confused with the number of national competitions in China, which seem to take place not only in the winter but also in April or something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Well there's always Chinese Nationals, which seem to be well-covered judging from the number of YouTube videos. Except I'm always confused with the number of national competitions in China, which seem to take place not only in the winter but also in April or something like that..
    That's true. And the one coming up should be quite fun: Zijun Li, Kexin Zhang, and Bingwa Geng will all be there. I'm sure there will be videos.

Yeah, there are two championships, and the winners of both are referred to as the National Champion. Quite confusing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast