Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies

feraina

Record Breaker
ETA: Oops, I just checked, and actually Kiri Baga didn't score much less than what she usually scores.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, but she's been extremely lucky with her JGP assignments last season and this. Well, we'll see if she'll medal again with a low score this time. This last group looks very promising, but then with juniors, you never know...

LeCygne

Final Flight
Yeah, it's pretty amazing, but she's been extremely lucky with her JGP assignments last season and this. Well, we'll see if she'll medal again with a low score this time. This last group looks very promising, but then with juniors, you never know...

I see Kiri finishing 5th and Li Zijun 4th, with Kiri qualifying over Zijun because 2+5 > 3+4. :disapp:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Polina scores a 102.46 for 3rd with Zijun Li still to skate. At this point, it looks like Vanessa Lam will win gold and Polina could possibly not even medal!

feraina

Record Breaker
I see Kiri finishing 5th and Li Zijun 4th, with Kiri qualifying over Zijun because 2+5 > 3+4. :disapp:

Well, we'll see how Zijun does here. But it's very likely that Zijun will have significantly outscored in both of her JGP's compared to both of Kiri's JGP's, and she will still not qualify. Bad luck...

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, we'll see how Zijun does here. But it's very likely that Zijun will have significantly outscored in both of her JGP's compared to both of Kiri's JGP's, and she will still not qualify. Bad luck...

4 Zijun LI CHN 100.50 52.66 47.84 6.11 5.75 5.96 6.04 6.04 0.00

Zijun skated very well! New PB for both FS and total. 144.76 in JGP Austria, 148.26 here.
Kiri had 138.70 in JGP SBC, 137.28 here.

Kiri is very lucky with her assignments. Zijun very unlucky. :no: Oh, well.

Kristiene is even luckier with her assignments! She qualifies for JGPF ahead of Kiri:
130.10 from JGP Brasov
134.32 from JGP Sheffield

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

You called it.

So the qualifiers are, in order:

1) Adelina Sotnikova, RUS: 15 + 15 = 30
2) Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, RUS: 15 + 15 = 30
3) Risa Shoji, JPN: 15 + 13 = 28
4) Polina Shelpen, RUS: 15 + 11 = 26
5) Christina Gao, USA: 13 + 13 = 26
6) Yasmin Siraj, USA: 13 + 13 = 26
7) Kristiene Gong, USA: 13 + 9 = 22
8) Kiri Baga, USA: 13 + 7 = 20

With 3 alternates (most likely in the right order, not 100% sure)
Zijun Li, CHN: 11 + 9 = 20
Ira Vannut, BEL: 9 + 11 = 20
Shion Kokobun, JPN: 11 + 7 = 18

shine

Record Breaker
Too bad for Zijun. She really got pretty close. She faced some of the stiffest competitions this season and I think this being her 1st season on the international circuit, she put up some impressive scores and did really, really well overall. Let's wait and see how well she'll do again at Jr. Worlds!

Congrats to the JGPF finalists!

LeCygne

Final Flight
Zijun skated very well! New PB for both FS and total. 144.76 in JGP Austria, 148.26 here.
Kiri had 138.70 in JGP SBC, 137.28 here.

Kiri is very lucky with her assignments. Zijun very unlucky. :no: Oh, well.

Zijun had the second highest PCS as well! That really is too bad.. I guess all we can hope for at this point is a withdrawal from someone.. haha

feraina

Record Breaker
Zijun had the second highest PCS as well! That really is too bad.. I guess all we can hope for at this point is a withdrawal from someone.. haha

Not wishing for injuries on anyone (we have enough already this season). But JGPF is still a long way away, so someone could still withdraw. I think Zijun would have a good chance of beating Kristiene and Kiri head-to-head, and also competitive with Yasmin Siraj.

On the other hand, Zijun can't go to senior ISU championships next year anyway, so it's not like she's looking to place top 3 at JGP, or have especially high ISU ranking or something, in order to secure a GP assignment next season. She should do well on JGP next year with Christina Gao & Polina Shelepen both moving on to GP.

I'm a little sad though that we won't get to see her skate again until JW. :cry:

shine

Record Breaker
^^ And if that does happen it'll be easy for her quickly substitute because I'm sure she'd be at the stands watching :p

Looks like Zijun brought her 2axel/3toe! YAY!

shine

Record Breaker
^^ Yes to that. If anything, Vanessa was robbed of her opportunity to make the JGPF by not being given a second assignment. Can't wait to see Vanessa skate! Junior ladies are so exciting these days!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Poor Vanessa, she could have won at several other Grand prix events.
She couldn't even go to the JGPF.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Too bad for Zijun Li :( Bad luck, she deserved to qualify more than Gong or Baga ((
Want to see Lam, great debut! Seems she can rotate her jumps which is good ))
Junior ladies this season are really strong, all the finalists except Gong and Baga scored more than 100 points for the FS and two of them even more than 110! JGPF will be very interesting

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Times like this, I really, really despise the ISU's system of awarding points on placements without taking relative scores into account. :mad: Zijun Li is currently a better skater than Baga and probably Gong also. She should be in this Final. Would get a big crowd boost since this year it's in her home country. I hope she keeps practicing diligently and improving. You never know--so far this season, the way elite skaters have been dropping like flies from chronic and sudden injuries, she might still get a chance.

And for Juniors at least, the USFS needs to reconsider making assignments based primarily on previous year's nationals. They look pretty stupid about now, not assigning Lam earlier to see how she did on the chance that she at least had the jumps to do well enough in intl comps...instead of wasting a precious entry with someone completely uncompetitive at this level, like Davis.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Too bad for Zijun Li. :( But hey, let's not forget that we just saw Vanessa Lam rock her JGP debut! Congrats!

Maybe we'll see Vanessa Lam & Zijun Li meet up at JW. :)
It will be a brutal contest at National's, not just to qualify for WC but also JW. Among the contenders for WC team:
Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, Agnes Zawadszki, Christina Gao
At least four of them will not make it, and all but Ashley is still eligible for WC, though I expect some will go to 4CC and give up on JW (I can't see Caroline, Mirai, or Rachael back at JW).

Then among the top juniors:
Yasmin Siraj, Vanessa Lam, Leah Keiser, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Kiri Baga, Kristiene Gong, Gracie Gold, Mary Beth Marley, Katarina Kulgeyko, Nina Jiang...
and I'm sure I've forgotten some!

feraina

Record Breaker
^^ And if that does happen it'll be easy for her quickly substitute because I'm sure she'd be at the stands watching :p

Looks like Zijun brought her 2axel/3toe! YAY!

Yes, you are right! Glad to see her first ratified 2A-3T in competition, though with -GOE. She's definitely improving throughout this season. She's only 13 so she's got a lot of potential for getting better and better. If she's got 2A-3T now, I think she's got a good chance of mastering a 3-3 reasonably soon in the future. :love:

And bigsisjiejie, you're right, it would've definitely boosted interest and attendance for JGPF in Beijing had Zijun qualified for it. I'm a little worried how poor attendance will be at GPF and JGPF. In the past, skating competitions haven't been well attended. Shen/Zhao's wedding show was a great success, so may that boosted interest somewhat, but there's nothing like a home player to root for to bring people out onto the stands...

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was very narrow all around. Polina with Bronze. I thought she would win but she made mistakes on lutz's. Couldn't afford any.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think the gold medalists should automatically advance to the final.
This year, they would be Polina, Liza, Risa, Adelina, and her. Then Yasmin, Christina. And the final spot open up for whoever.

Ex: Plushenko is more than qualified to advance to the final last year. This year, Kavaguti and Smirnov only competes in 1 event, and I think they are better than half of the team that will be going to the final. Vanessa Lam can definitely beat out Risa, Polina, Yasmin, Kristiene, and Kiri in the Final. It's too bad the way the points add up because better skaters are staying home.