Thread: The Olympic Gold Medal Experience

The Olympic Gold Medal Experience

Here is a terrific piece CBS put together for the 1994 Olympics.

Kristi, Dorothy, Peggy, Carol and Tenley share their thoughts on what it was like winning the OGM and what it meant to them.
    Some interesting stuff here and many will recognize the narrator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDxkc...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Here is a terrific piece CBS put together for the 1994 Olympics.

Kristi, Dorothy, Peggy, Carol and Tenley share their thoughts on what it was like winning the OGM and what it meant to them.
    Some interesting stuff here and many will recognize the narrator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDxkc...eature=related
    What an interesting video! I really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing, janetfan!

Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    What an interesting video! I really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing, janetfan!
    Welcome Mikifan.

Here is another one CBS did for the '94 Dance competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFn0...eature=related

If you check out the YouTube page there several good pieces from '94. I guess with all the fuss over Nancy/Tonya CBS knew the ratings would be spectacular - and to their credit they put together several nice pieces.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-18-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks again, janetfan! I really enjoy watching these older fluffs! Kristi looks adorable in the second video! I had no idea she was so tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Thanks again, janetfan! I really enjoy watching these older fluffs! Kristi looks adorable in the second video! I had no idea she was so tiny!
    I think Kristi looks adorable in the first clip standing atop the Olympic podium and just beaming with joy.
    Gosh, what a moment that was! And I never knew that Dorothy came back to wish her well just before she took the ice for her LP.

The remarks from Carol Heiss at the end of the clip are quite poignant to me. She talks about the "sisterhood" and how new members are always welcome.

Since that piece was produced back in 1994 two more "sisters" have joined this prestigious club - Tara in '98 and Sarah in '02.

It feels strange that Michelle is not among them but she carved out a very special place for herself in the skating world and will never be forgotten. Janet once held the title as the greatest skater never to win the OGM. I think Michelle owns that title now and along with Kurt Browning she is in very good company.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-20-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Custom Title
    You know I agree with you on all counts, Janetfan! I think Michelle is part of that sisterhood in her own way, because although skating hasn't given her that ultimate gift, she has given the best she has to skating, and not just through one Olympic cycle. It's significant that at important ceremonial moments, she's often the one tapped to do the honors.

That video is lovely. Thanks for dusting it off and showing us.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Loved the old footage. It really brought me back to my skating days watching these great skaters. Thanks.