Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Zhang

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Someone else, please post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Who do you think will win the US Ladies Title this year?

I think it will be Mirai Nagasu - she has been very consistent, placed highest at the Olympics and Worlds, seems to be gaining a reputation with judges and fans and is beautiful to watch. Ashley Wagner is a beautiful skater, but struggles to put two good programs together. Rachael Flatt seemed to be falling apart at the end of last season, but maybe since she's not in school this year, she'll be more focused on skating. Christina Gao, Amanda Dobbs and Alexe Gilles are all good, but I don't see them medaling yet - maybe Gao could get bronze or pewter, but they all have final group potential. I think Sasha Cohen, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisny and Caroline Zhang are all done. I'm sorry to say it because I still love Sasha and Alissa and enjoy watching Kimmie and Emily, but I think their time is up.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Probably Mirai because she's shown herself to be the best over the past year (except, weirdly, at Nats, but some people say that was judged badly). It could be Rachael though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Nagasu skates well she is a lock this year. If she falters badly enough it will probably be Flatt. Then again if Czisny skates well she will beat Flatt and possibly even a good Nagasu. I really think it is between those three. Wagner is an overhyped nothing, Zhang's beautiful qualities arent appreciated enough by the judges anymore, Gao isnt there yet, neither is Zadwanski.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ :rolleye: Wish I was an overhyped nothing who had won multiple national and international skating medals.

prettykeys

Medalist
I am really surprised that Sasha is going to compete.
OMG, did I totally miss this announcement? I haven't heard about this anywhere yet. But if she is, I'm a notch more interested now in the US Championships :eek: Not that I think she will win, but...that's pretty cool, it's always nice to watch her.

I do think it will come down to Mirai or Rachael.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
While I may have been harsh on Wagner she is overrated since she hasnt brought the results. The only medals she has ever won anywhere at even minor bigger kind of events are bronze medals. Everyone dumps on Zhang but even Caroline Zhang has had a far more successful career than Wagner. Wagner has never won gold or silver at Nationals, not even in 2008 when she had the performances of her life. She has never won gold or silver at the World Juniors. I believe she has won one silver at a regular grand prix. Contrast that to Zhang who has a gold and 2 silvers at World Juniors and and 4CC's medal. Wagner has 2 U.S bronzes to 1 for Zhang, and 4 grand prix medals (with 1 silver) to 3 grand prix medals (with 1 silver) for Zhang. Both have a 4th at the Grand Prix final. So out of Flatt, Nagasu, and even Zhang, Wagner is by far the least accomplished, and she is the oldest to boot, yet she continues to be hyped as having potential to do great things.

I dont know why anyone would think she would finish in the top 2 when she never has at events of even this caliber.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, sometimes the skater has the skate of his or her life and sometimes even the year of his or her life:

Rudy Galindo in 1996 comes to mind. Never qualified for the World team before-almost never on the Grand Prix before as a singles skater. Did win Jr Worlds as a single skater, but back in the 1980's.

In 1996, he won US Nationals over Todd Eldredge and won the bronze at Worlds.

And then there's Paul Wyle at the Olympics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
True but for me that is what it would take for Ashley to win or even come top 2 and make the team is a skate of her life. Just a good competition would never be enough for her. She has never truly made it, and she just isnt on par with skaters like Flatt, Nagasu, or even Zhang. And the USFSA probably has more vested interest in continuing veteran projectes like Czisny or up and coming supertalent like Gao or Zawadski than they do her.

And I would also argue the 2008 Nationals was the competition of Wagners life and she still only came 3rd! So I dont know what it would take for her.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I would love to see Alissa or Ashley (who I don't consider an "overhyped nothing"). I doubt Sasha will be there, but I'm practically sure Mirai and Rachel will be the top two. Gao and Zawadzski aren't quite there yet and I was never a Zhang fan.

lcd

Match Penalty
Hoping Ashley will pull it all together. Alissa is a sentimental favorite. I'm a sucker for guts (Ashley) and Heart (Alissa).

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I would really like Alissa to Win or get silver this year. The bad skate at the detroit skating club was not her fault. I heard that the Ice had not been zambonied after the hockey practice. Even Jeremy Abbott was having trouble for the same reason.

Alissa's new approach has made her a much better seasoned competitor. I hope she hasn't peaked. She said she could skate even better than at GPF. She has won 2 major competitions this year. I'm noticing that right before she skates she bends her knees to get comfortable with the ice. She is also fighting more to stay upright and attaking her jumps instead of holding back. Overall I hope she gets spot 2. That way she won't possibly have as much pressure on herself. I can say so much more. I think this is enough though.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen?! She's competing? Wow! She must have missed the competition so much.

Sentimentally, I'd love to see Czisny win. But I think Nagasu's going to win.