articles and blogs | Golden Skate

articles and blogs

NMURA

Medalist
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20101021-OHT1T00221.htm
Asada had struggled with jumps during the afternoon practice session. But in evening , she succeeded the 3A and 3-3 (probably 3Lo-3Lo) in the run-through practice. "Since I'm skating at home, I can perform better."

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/101021/spm1010212001002-n1.htm
In today's official practice session, three Japanese men attempted the 4T. Hanyu landed (twice, from a different source) and Mura landed clean 4-3 (he will go for it in the SP). Although Takahashi had no success, he is optimistic. "At the time of Japan Open, I couldn't land the quad in the practice, but succeeded in the competition."

champs

Final Flight
As an Ashley fan I just loved that USA Today article. Only one less mention of Rachael and of Caroline.:disapp:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe the author of the article was like "an asian name-that must mean she is good" LOL !!!

Canastatango

Rinkside
Or they know what is going on with skaters more than we do. Maybe they have not be practicing well or they lost jumps.
I know the media and officials know or hear more than we do. I hope my guess is wrong and they will do well.

Trewyn

Medalist
Looking at the Ladies SP starting orders, Ashley didn't make the second group o_O! I guess not doing Nebelhorn was a bad decision in that respect. I really hope it doesn't affect her PCS, skating so early on. Otoh; she usually does well when she's in somewhat of an 'underdog' position. I really hope she proves everyone who forgot to mention her as a contender wrong!

On the topic of articles etc; why are there no actual practice reports :( (other than some snippets on the Japanese team)

dlgpffps

Final Flight
On the topic of articles etc; why are there no actual practice reports :( (other than some snippets on the Japanese team)

I heard Jeremy had great practice sessions! I have my hopes high for him (like always). Here's what came up on his Facebook page:

Friday, 09:45 AM. Jeremy skated his long. This time he did every element, not skipping anything. It was the first time I saw the whole structure of the program and, wow, it IS a beautiful one! Quiet beginning, fun CiSt, romantic middle part and dramatic SlSt, which leads to a quiet ending. Good job, David! He skated the first part perfectly, including a beautiful 3a-2t combination. Like his previous Symphony #3 LP, the 2a is right at the end of the CiSt, with no setup at all. It’s great that he chose such strikingly different music pieces for short and long to showcase his versatility. Both are quite “new” to him in a different way, yet he’s starting to own both of them. Can’t wait to see how those programs mature through the season!

Thursday, 13:30 PM. Jeremy’s 3axel is dead-on today. He landed it one after another, again one of them in the program. He did a run-through of his short, “Viejos Aires” and did everything as if in a real competition, not omitting anything. 3f-3t beautiful, 3a perfect. A fall on the 3lz. As I saw the program live in Korea in July, I couldn’t help but marvel at how far he has come in the last 3 months. The program has become twice as difficult with twice more movements added here and there. Especially the SlSt. His footwork is much more intricate and elaborate than before, together with new hand-clapping, thigh-slapping, hip-spanking hand movements. Antonio did a really great job! Spins were polished and changed with some new positions too. The only thing that has become simpler from the earlier version is the ending. The complex arm-coiling move is totally gone. Just a simple finishing pose out of fast upright spin. I love this new version better, because he never stops skating until the very end. All in all, he looked very well trained and prepared. His speed, flow over the ice and confidence on blades stood out among the skaters of the group.

I think I'm allowed to post this? If not, I'll just give a synopsis.

champs

Final Flight
Looking at the Ladies SP starting orders, Ashley didn't make the second group o_O! I guess not doing Nebelhorn was a bad decision in that respect. I really hope it doesn't affect her PCS, skating so early on. Otoh; she usually does well when she's in somewhat of an 'underdog' position. I really hope she proves everyone who forgot to mention her as a contender wrong!

This is not just a PCS issue for me...in Japan, the broadcast of Ladies SP (Live) starts at 19:30 and Ashley's starting time is estimated to be around 19:32. Considering the fact that Japanese broadcast never immediately starts to show what's going on on the ice surface and instead shows backstage Mao, shows an opening fluff, introduces the commentator and shows again all the useless fluff for the first five to ten minutes I'm afraid Ashley's SP will likely be chacked in my country... I'm just so depressed.

I wish the skating order in the GP series is determined by how the skaters did in GPS in the previous season(s), not by the world standings where 4CC/Euros/Olympics have way too much weight. The current system basically says if you become the number 3 at US nationals then you are doomed in your "GP status" for the following year regardless of how well she did in the GPs.

By the way, did Ashley decide to ditch Kashmir SP and went back to last season's SP? According to her ISU biography it seems that way...

P.S. @Mathman thanks for noticing it :)

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
By the way, did Ashley decide to ditch Kashmir SP and went back to last season's SP? According to her ISU biography it seems that way...

Yes, if so why ...? Go Ashley :thumbsup: Hope there will be a little something on youtube!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The current system basically says if you become the number 3 at US nationals then you are doomed in your "GP status" for the following year regardless of how well she did in the GPs.

But what if Ashley had finished 11th?

Trewyn

Medalist
This is not just a PCS issue for me...in Japan, the broadcast of Ladies SP (Live) starts at 19:30 and Ashley's starting time is estimated to be around 19:32. Considering the fact that Japanese broadcast never immediately starts to show what's going on on the ice surface and instead shows backstage Mao, shows an opening fluff, introduces the commentator and shows again all the useless fluff for the first five to ten minutes I'm afraid Ashley's SP will likely be chacked in my country... I'm just so depressed.

I wish the skating order in the GP series is determined by how the skaters did in GPS in the previous season(s), not by the world standings where 4CC/Euros/Olympics have way too much weight. The current system basically says if you become the number 3 at US nationals then you are doomed in your "GP status" for the following year regardless of how well she did in the GPs.

P.S. @Mathman thanks for noticing it :)

Well, Ashley had two oppertunities to help her World Ranking; Jr Worlds and Nebelhorn. She took neither of them, so it seems she doesn't care. I guess it won't matter if she skates well here!

Oh, Champs, I really hope they'll show Ashley skate on the Japanese broadcast.. And she went back to last year's SP?? How come we haven't heard anything about that? I thought the debut of the Kashmir program went pretty well at the summer competitions (even though there's no video of it whatsoever).. I loved last season's SP but in general I don't like it when skaters recycle programs...

I'm nervous. It's so strange the season started again... Anyway; I have class again in ten minutes so I won't be able to watch or follow the score, but I'll keep my fingers crossed around 12.32 ;) (btw where does one find the detailed time schedule again?)

champs

Final Flight
But what if Ashley had finished 11th?

I'm not Ashley so I have to ask her to know exactly why she declined to go to 4CC last season, but she was an alternate for Olys and Worlds and was also selected for Jr. Worlds, and knowing how close 4CC was from the US Nationals it was reasonable for her to spare her some recovery/practice period before those three competitions. So, if she had ended up being 11th like Caroline, the situation would have been completely different. Caroline otoh didn't have to spare her extra practice/recovery time and because of her GP results it was best for her to go to 4CC to regain both confidence/points.

I don't know if I'm interpreting your question correctly.

champs

Final Flight
@Trewyn

you're right, there was a way for her to gain more points to possibly surpass the other four ladies, but I just don't like the fact that skating orders in GPs so little reflect the skaters' results in the GPs from the previous season(s).

Sorry for being off topic here.