Ladies Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

dlgpffps

Final Flight
II didnt' think the American ladies were all that awesome, I have to admit. They were solid for their first competition.

I think Caro Z, Ashley and Rachael were awesome. I still can't believe the huge improvement made on Caro Z's mule-kick & Rachael's weird flip technique. Performance-wise, Caro K and Ashley stood out, but the other ladies had their own little victories. I'm just pleased with how today turned out (well, except for Mao, but her program makes up for her technical fiasco).

Last edited:

Tanja90

On the Ice
Carolina K's short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OspBgI2As

LOVED everything about it!!!
I also liked kanako!! the best after carolina IMO! kiira was also gorgeous!!!
I didn't like mao..sadly...it's not the problems with her jumps, it's the program that doesn't work for me! I can't see a real tango in it! I hope she will do better tomorrow!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Bravo Carolina , I loved her tango and dress!

Cant get over how much Caroline Z. changed , I did not recognise her!! :eek:Nice program though still slow.
Ashley I dont like much the program and this Ouatia music again, this facial expressions ...and she is boring little...(Sorry Trewn:))But a great dress !
Mao :no: but it is early season and anyway the footwork is awesome!:rock: Why she had a deduction?

Kira's program is beautiful and her dress gorgeous and simple at the same time !

Kanako was the best for me, great jumps, speed skating, a large smile, personality, count me a fan since Hague last year!:clap: She reminds you why you like skating!

At last a great feed, boss gone and normal hours, too bad i ll miss the men!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just watched Kiira - for a second I thought it was like watching Evan's sister ;)
Sorry, but too much repetitive arm flapping - the same gesture over and over - and I don't love that choreo as much as so many others do.

Caro was good and well presented. Nice dress, good choreo and a good start for her.

Rachael seemed the same to me - no better or worse from last season but I liked her dress and new haircut.
Early in the season and they will all get better.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I just started watching the clips - but Kanako was fun and performed really well. I don't see that making her "juniorish" just as seeing Caroline with a serious expression does not make her look more like a senior. It is about how they skate - and perfroming and audience appeal is part of it.

Kanako is a natural - most of the others have to force it out to an extent.
Thanks to dizzy for the links. Have to watch more now.....

Maybe I am just not easily charmed by a big smile à la Kanako and Mirai. OK, they are good skaters and have go, but I want more … :laugh:

Well, Kanako's SP is a performance made for the japanese audience to love :thumbsup: Good luck to her tomorrow.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe I am just not easily charmed by a big smile à la Kanako and Mirai. OK, they are good skaters and have go, but I want more … :laugh:

Well, Kanako's SP is a performance made for the japanese audience to love :thumbsup: Good luck to her tomorrow.

Kanako's SP would be well received in N. America and Europe and not just Japan.
But it doesn't mean it is everybody's favorite and I respect if you like something different.

I do like watching a skater who is having fun out there and doesn't appear nervous and appear to be only skating for points.

I just saw Mao's program - aside from the mistakes I enjoyed it and Mao is such an artist on the ice. Her posture, positions and line are wonderful.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Kanako's SP would be well received in N. America and Europe and not just Japan.
But it doesn't mean it is everybody's favorite and I respect if you like something different.

Agree about NA and Europe. Just thought about next worlds beeing in Japan with a huge crowd cheering for her. This was like a test and the judges also went with her.

And I know Kanako has good skating skills though I don't like her program.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Loved Kanako, Mao & CaroK (I really didn't think she'd skate as well she did...!). I really thought Kanako went out and sold her program.

American ladies didn't make positive impression on me this time. Hopefully they'll improve. I didn't care for Ashley's SP (it's not working for me at all; maybe eventually it'll grow on me...?), and Rachael's left me cold. There's some potential for CZ, but it's not quite there yet.

Felt horrible for Elene...*shaking head*

jovani2293

On the Ice
Did Ashley Wagner skate to the same music as last year? I though she was suppose skate to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir"?

Andalusia

Final Flight
Good on Caroline for getting rid of the mule kick. And it's not just that she's ditched the kick, but her 3F on the whole looks better than it's ever been. I don't see much improvement in the 2A, though, and my gosh she was slow. So unbelievably slow...the whole programme seemed to be running in slow motion...even her spins looked terribly slow. She's also filled out a lot, and she's clearly not as flexible as she once was.

Carolina - meh. She landed the jumps (didn't she do a much easier 3T-2T this time?), but nothing else about the programme seemed terribly noteworthy to me. Kanako showed a lot of spunk and landed a couple of nice jumps, but my problem with her is that she showed a little too much spunk, so much so that she came across as overly perky and 'on'. Michelle was doing Salome at her age, so Kanako had better get with the, um, programme. Rachael...Rachael's trudging along as she's always done and consequently looking as boring as she's ever been. Lori clearly thinks that jazzy, all-American feel works well for Rachael, but IMO it just makes her even more blah. And as a shallow aside, I don't think Rachael's new hairdo looks terribly flattering on her.

Ashley was my favourite, and I wish she was in first place. Mao's SP could be wonderful, but I see she's following her old pattern of looking unsteady early in the season, possibly going on to miss the GPF, and only coming into full bloom once the season is almost over.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I was so looking forward to Skate America in Portland, OR in a few weeks, but I don't know now. I just came from the website and Kanako is supposed to be skating there, which I don't like. It's unusual for me to have an aversion to a skater, but she reminds me of Fumie Suguri, whom I've never liked as a skater, this alone can turn me off, as well as fans, and of course the judging. It's not her fault btw, it's just a visceral reaction.

I'll have to think about this long & hard because I know my niece is looking forward to it, and I don't want to disappoint her, so I'm thinking we may just go to see the men skate, like we did at the Olympics. :) Lol, she likes the men moreso than the ladies anyways, same as me. ;)

Hopefully I'll be more inspired when they skate their LPs, and just enjoy those ones I like (as I did in the SP), but the judging does affect me, I can't lie.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAROLINA, RACHAEL, ASHLEY, CAROLINE, AND OF COURSE MAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lavender

Record Breaker
Caroline looks so different. Her mule kick is gone and her jumps look higher so I'm happy for her. Whatever she had as a junior seems to be gone sadly. Her spins are nice but lost something , she's still so slow, not as flexible and she just look different. Puberty sure does change some people a lot.:sheesh:

Ashley is skating to the same music as last year but her program is totally reworked for the new rules and I don't really like it anymore. Ashley isn't a favorite skater at all but her short program from last year was one of my favorites but I don't like this new version so far. Whatever the rules are it has really slowed her program down. It took away the flow.

Rachel skating still does nothing for me but she looks like she's improved some.

Last edited:

Tesla

Final Flight
I was so looking forward to Skate America in Portland, OR in a few weeks, but I don't know now. I just came from the website and Kanako is supposed to be skating there, which I don't like. It's unusual for me to have an aversion to a skater, but she reminds me of Fumie Suguri, whom I've never liked as a skater, this alone can turn me off, as well as fans, and of course the judging. It's not her fault btw, it's just a visceral reaction.

I'll have to think about this long & hard because I know my niece is looking forward to it, and I don't want to disappoint her, so I'm thinking we may just go to see the men skate, like we did at the Olympics. :) Lol, she likes the men moreso than the ladies anyways, same as me. ;)

Hopefully I'll be more inspired when they skate their LPs, and just enjoy those ones I like (as I did in the SP), but the judging does affect me, I can't lie.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAROLINA, RACHAEL, ASHLEY, CAROLINE, AND OF COURSE MAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the bathroom or go get food when Kanako skates.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Caro is actually in the lead with a 3t 2t. If anyone else would have put that down there would be an outcry. Never have been a fan and especially when she is gifted by the judges. Mao did not surprise me. She seems to not be ready this early in the season. Maybe if she was given later GP assignments..... Kanako still skates like a junior but she certainly is perky and enjoys skating. I wish Caroline Zhang would capture some of that enthusiasm. Glad to see her improve, but she still needs to speed things up and not skate so careful. She looks likes she skates to not make mistakes. Love Rachael's dress and I do think her program suits her. I enjoyed Ashley, but I still am not very good at identifying her jumps. I was glad to see clean programs other than Mao's. I don't think she deserved the score she recieved. Even the 47 was a gift.

cornell08

Final Flight
Exactly like Bebe Liang.

Well judging by how her older sister is quite thin I wouldn't quite say that Caroline has a tough outlook. The girl loves her junk food, I think it just takes eating healthier for her to get back into shape. I was more worried about her getting the same huge tatas Yangyang has and being thrown off balance Gedevanishvilli-style.

Also Bebe skates like the wind, and then some. I would be ecstatic if Caroline skates that fast.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I'm so sad for Mao.

:cry:

I hope she has a great LP tomorrow!

:rock:

I absolutely love Carolina's and Ashley's SP!

:love:

I also enjoyed Rachael's.

:)

And I want to congratulate Caroline on her huge improvement on her toe jumps (the Flip, at least), so I'm really happy for her! Can't wait for the tomorrow!