Ladies Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

mariposa

Rinkside
What the h--- happened to Canada's Diane Szmiett? Any reports? I heard she was training 3-toe,3-toe..does anyone know what jumps she did or didn't do?

lavender

Record Breaker
Caroline's sister may be tall and thin but her mom is short and stocky. And I'm sure her coaches/parents don't allow her to eat a lot of crap, plus she exercises all the time, most of the time you're body is just going to do what it's going to do, and you can't really prevent that. Her proportions, short arms and legs and long torso, don't help matters either. But her jumps actually have more height now so I actually think her filling out has helped her skating, she'll likely just have to develop a new style, which she already seems to be doing, more intense and less pretty princess gumby doll-ish.

ITA....cute lil Caroline is gone. This is her make up and she's pretty much a woman now.

I was trying to figure out what seemed so different in her upper body and it's the fact that she has this long torso. Never noticed it before so I guess it's pronounced now that she's changed even more.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Me too! She still needs a bit more speed, esp. going into her 2A, though. But still--now the mule kick appears to be gone, I have to eat another hat (the first was when Sasha Cohen showed up at US Nats last season)...

BTW, is Caroline's pearl spin pernamently MIA at this point?

Yes I was pretty skeptical too so I should look around for my tastiest hat... But I did start believing that Caroline was serious about fixing her technique very recently when I read an interview in which she admited that she deliberately didn't fix anything last season because she was afraid of shaking things up during Olympic season. I thought that was very honest of her so I took her at her word that she was trying hard to rework things.
We'll see how it translates into results as the season progresses but regardless, I already admire her.

I agree with Janetfan that Rachael looks the same to be as last year but so does Ashley to me, perhaps even a bit slower. She did nicely but I wasn't at all floored. However, I think she lost training momentum recently because she was sick for along time so she may still step it up quite a bit.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
What the h--- happened to Canada's Diane Szmiett? Any reports? I heard she was training 3-toe,3-toe..does anyone know what jumps she did or didn't do?

She's in 12th place (14.04/18.86/31.90). She couldn't do her combo (3T+not even a single), singled her axel and doubled her flip, which also got an edge call.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Where can I watch Kanako's SP?

http://www.youtube.com/user/fsbj4#p/c/5511B701621FEFC5/1/DF45xu5m90s

Kanako rocked the house and it is impressive to see how the Japanese fans already love this young skater so much. And why not - her smile lights up the arena and she interacts well with the crowd who feed off her energy.

I love this girl and am sure she will delight the fans at SA.

I hope she wins tomorrow - but it is more than enough for her to skate well and get her senior career off to a good start.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
I was so looking forward to Skate America in Portland, OR in a few weeks, but I don't know now. I just came from the website and Kanako is supposed to be skating there, which I don't like. It's unusual for me to have an aversion to a skater, but she reminds me of Fumie Suguri, whom I've never liked as a skater, this alone can turn me off, as well as fans, and of course the judging. It's not her fault btw, it's just a visceral reaction.

Just curious, but what is it about Kanako (other than that she reminds you of Fumie) that you don't like to the point where you wouldn't go to SA just because she's skating in it?

Layfan

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/user/fsbj4#p/c/5511B701621FEFC5/1/DF45xu5m90s

Kanako rocked the house and it is impressive to see how the Japanese fans already love this young skater so much. And why not - her smile lights up the arena and she interacts well with the crowd who feed off her energy.

I love this girl and am sure she will delight the fans at SA.

I hope she wins tomorrow - but it is more than enough for her to skate well and get her senior career off to a good start.

She was pretty delightful. The hightlight for me ... I agree the skating itself is far from "juniorish" She finishes off every move and she's very sharp. Perhaps her costume and choreo make strike some as young but, I can see that, esp the costume, but she doesn't have the awkwardness or the lapse in performance that I associate with junior skaters.

fairly4

Medalist
kanako--delightful-fresh air, you could tell she loved it a bit low in pc/scores.
zhang a bit low in pc and scores.
rachel same as last year because short program same as last year, a bit faster, but less expressive for me a bit too high in pc's.
sorry about mao's,
ashley was slower and pc's a bit higher than i would have put them.but all in all decent skates for all skaters.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just curious, but what is it about Kanako (other than that she reminds you of Fumie) that you don't like to the point where you wouldn't go to SA just because she's skating in it?

I am trying to figure out how Kanako reminds someone of Fumie? :think:
I was thinking more of Tara on pep pills ;)

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
zhang was much improved. personally kanako's was more interesting, ashley skated to slow .but not bad. you could tell they speeded up video to make it seem like skated faster.
kanako just went out to skmate.
ashley not bad also to me looks like and old skate program of hers. score a bit high
but all scores kinda of close. still anyone ball game. whoever skates for it in long will \probably win it. sure kostner has about a 10 point lead, but still anyone ball games, with the inconsistency of all skaters.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I am trying to figure out how Kanako reminds someone of Fumie? :think:
I was thinking more of Tara on pep pills :laugh:

I was sort of thinking Akiko. Not really the skating but the joy she projected. Fumie seemed like a softer skater to me than Kanako.

fairly4

Medalist
1st kostner, 2nd kanako murkami, 3rd ashley wagner-- tied 4th between caroline zhang and rachel flatt51 and 6th kiira korip. sorry just my oversavitons.
but expect for goe's and pc's about right.
kiira mised a jummped and slow in spin. but otherwise did good. she is kinda of back to how she skated in 2008 .

also how come no picture of zhang in icenetwork .

kalle

On the Ice
Finally the season has begun :party:

A few thoughts;

Rachael is one of those people you just want to like, she is likeable!I have tried to like her skating for a few years now and it has not been possible..until today! I had to watch her skate several times and then her program started to "grow" on me. It is a perky program but I think Rachael can sell it without being too much. I noticed she has good extension out of her jumps (I am weak for skaters holding out the landings a la Kwan) ..I think she actually listen to the music and there are some really nice moments there. Her spins are still kind of underwhelming but her layback was pretty. I got a good feeling after her program and if she is able to add a 3Z/3L or 3F/3L, I believe she can get good scores later on.
On a sidenote, her dress was "flattering" :p

I have never been a big fan of Caroline but it has been painful to see how things have gone downhill after such promising junior seasons..
I saw her live at the TEB last year and it was sad to see her so passive, almost like she did not wanted to be there at all.
This year, things seems to finally have changed!I think I even saw a smile on her face entering the ice before her SP, almost as she could not wait to start her program, touching..

I have to agree with the comments regarding how much she has changed, I almost did not recognise her :think:
She finally looked a bit confident and good to see that she "attacked" the program. The 3F was almost gorgeous (I never thought I would say that of any of her jumps!)
She also showed us some personality but the second part of the program was rather boring but it felt like it was more choreography wise..
Anyway, I hope she will continue to progress and most important, "enjoy" her programs, "enjoy" being on the ice and to connect with the audience. Go Caroline!

After watching all SP's, I went back to have a look at Mirai's SP from last season..and I cannot help it but it still feels so much better than any of today's programs..I cannot wait and see what she has in mind for us this year :love:

Looking forward to see the LP's tomorrow.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Didn't see it live - but I was sure Mao would be in 1st. What happened??????

I'm glad Carolina has the lead though - one of my favs :)

MissCleo

On the Ice
Did anyone notice Caroline's footwork later in the program? She did it all on her her right foot :p

I've been noticing this with many of the new programs. Is there something new in the rules concerning footwork sequences?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I agree the skating itself is far from "juniorish" She finishes off every move and she's very sharp. Perhaps her costume and choreo make strike some as young but, I can see that, esp the costume, but she doesn't have the awkwardness or the lapse in performance that I associate with junior skaters.

I would make the same distinction. Liked her smile, her general skating, some of the choreo touches, but in general I find this program too cute. I stand by my opinion that last season's SP was better. That reminds me. I haven't seen her LP, but I know it's out. Does anyone have a link?

Canastatango

Rinkside
I really admire Caroline for fixing her jumps. I am sure it took a lot of time and effort. I can not imagine how frustrating it was for her to redo everything. I am sure she had a lot of moment of tears, too.
Whether one likes her skating or not, I think everyone should give her a credit for that. Sure there is a lot of things for her to improve but if she could fix jumps with bad habits, I am sure she can fix anything. I am not big fan of Caroline, but I really respect her and wish her the best for this season.