Men's Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

sunny0760

On the Ice
Missed the Men's SP. Videos of Dai and Jeremy, Please.
Men SP
http://www.youtube.com/user/002opj#g/c/94380436311EF941

From what I saw,

Liked Denis Ten, not as inspiring as he was at worlds 2009 but anyway, really talented skater.
Hanyu's 3A and Sawyer's flexibility were impressive.

The 3 point difference between Jeremy and Takahashi... well, I don't quite agree. Takahashi's step was delightful as ever but I think I have seen better programs from him. Takahashi got an 'e' for his flip but what about his somewhat questionable 3Lz? (Someone says it was 3F:laugh:)

Jeremy is turning into a great performer. Well, I hope there will no miskakes about rules like today and jumps and spins in this SP will be more polished and solid. Want to see him defeat supposedly the strongest competitors this season.:thumbsup:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^ Thank you. I just watched Jeremy and Dai will watch the rest later. WOW was that Jeremy. He looked like a different skater out there.
Everything came together and he skated that program spot on. The costume, hair and attitude, loved it.

What more can I say about Dai that already has not bee said in this thread. He is one talented and brilliant skater and I loved his SP too.

LP should be interesting. I will be rooting for my 2 favorites Dai and Jeremy.

janetfan

Match Penalty
^^ Thank you. I just watched Jeremy and Dai will watch the rest later. WOW was that Jeremy. He looked like a different skater out there.
Everything came together and he skated that program spot on. The costume, hair and attitude, loved it.

What more can I say about Dai that already has not bee said in this thread. He is one talented and brilliant skater and I loved his SP too.

LP should be interesting. I will be rooting for my 2 favorites Dai and Jeremy.

Thanks for the link Sunny.
I agree about Jeremy and really liked his SP alot.
Will watch the others later and looking forward to the LP's.

Canastatango

Rinkside
Reffering to sunny0760's post: I watched Dai's program over and over and Dai's lutz is genuine lutz with beautiful spring and the air position. I am not sure what you are talking about. But I agree with you in that Jeremy is becoming a real polished performer on the ice. He used a lot of arm movement to express the artistry.
But to me, Dai is the most artistic and musical skater in the world right now. He lands jumps on the precise beat and his shoulder, head, arms, hip, all of his body movement is used to express every mood of music. He is truly AMAZING.I used to not like him much, but he changed my mind completely. Including last years program, I never get tired of watching his programs. I am so much looking forward to his long program. He is really small built and I know it is much much harder to leave the presence on the ice. But boy, he has such a strong charisma that even the tallest skater will not be able to leave that much of impact on the audiences.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
watched the top three - THANKS so much for the link!!!!! I loved all three - fantastic! Dai is just too, too, too amazing - that was sooooo audience friendly, he got me dancing in my seat! I'm so glad to she Jeremy and Shaun skate so well with great programs. Way to go guys!

Does anyone know why abbot's spin was 0 - I mean what went wrong, too few rotations on the second foot?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Daisuke was on FIRE. Jeremy and Shawn were great too! Maybe this will be the year that Shawn gets the results he's been looking for.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I think Jeremy should be ahead of Daisuke. He was cleaner and more entertaining.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Everything Jeremy Abbott does is just AMAZING. His musicality is SO my cup of tea. He also has so many transitions throughout that you almost start to take them for granted. The reverse hitch kick going into the flying camel spin is such a brilliant move..I have been watching that over and over. This guy is just a genius with his blades and movement. A dream skater really.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I agree - just re-watched abbot and you are so right, shine, i could watch his feet forever! plus he is just so, so smooth and liquid in his execution, talking about making it look easy, wow.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I could skate, I'd want to skate like Jeremy Abbott! :love: I'm sure he won't let that mistake on the spin happen again. Love him, love the program, and I'm glad things went well for him! I love this top 3 and I hope all of them can find a place on the podium at the end of this event! I wish Jeremy Ten could have skated better . . . I was cheering for him too.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm happy that my favourite 3 skaters at this event (Takahashi, Abbott and Sawyer) are currently in the Top 3. :party: :clap: :yay: Keep up the good work, boys!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh my, Takahashi is such a fantastic performer/entertainer... Abbott has a great programme, but he does not have the same kind of feeling towards music, in my opinion. And his costume is just awful, looks like "a Tarasova design", LOL. I also enjoyed very much Hanyu´s skating, he is so young and already so fantastic, WOW! Also I liked Denis Ten´s programme and skating.

shine

Record Breaker
^I don't agree with you, Jaana. I think Abbott and Takahashi are very different kind of skaters and have different approaches to interpretation. I find that Takahashi responds very well to rhythm and moves with a lot of spontaneous verve, while Abbott is a more cerebral kind of skater and pays attention to every nuance in the music and has amazing attention to details. Takahashi is definitely a more showy kind of skater and is very exciting to watch, but Abbott's musicality makes me feel and stays with me even after the program ends. I also think Abbott is more versatile an interpreter. Takashi is probably the best at skating to the upbeat and dancey kind of programs but when it comes to the lyrical ones that require a more subtle interpretation I don't think he has enough attention to details to fill the entire program.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Now that's what I call skating. Ever since COP came about the ladies in general just can't touch the men. COP totally suits the men and other disciples but it hinders the ladies imo. The ladies event use to be it for me in the past but it's hard to get through most of those comps. The men are just awesome most of the time and their programs have way more personality. I love the top 4 men (4 of my favorites anyway) and I think they are in the right order. Jeremy had a problem on at least one spin and his jumps do not have the height of Dai so I'm fine with the order. Also there was even more improvement in Jeremy especially, Dai and even Florent. Love, love their programs...so proud.

The men even have more interesting music.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Takahashi was electric. My goodness, he's pure liquid in his fluidity and he's sensationally musical. This in Tokyo? Supernova.

2. Jeremy was good, but even without the spin error, I have him in second.

3. Go Shawn!!! Dammit, Skate Canada, why doesn't he have a second GP slot?

4. Florent... boring beginning, good ending. Glad he does the hard triples now in his short.

5. Hanyu... I think I liked the program a little more than Florent's, though again - I agree with him being fifth.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jeremy's program has way too many arm movements, IMO. The program reminds me a bit of Lambiel's SP from the 2007-2008 season, except overdone and not executed as well (that's really not Jeremy's style).

I'm also annoyed with Takahashi's "Lutz", though. That is a Flip entrance. He's basically doing 2 Triple Flips in the program right now. But if we do give him credit for the Lutz, he still deserved to be 1st even with that mistake on the 3Axel. His skating, body movement, and musicality is just incredible.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just may have to give up watching the ladies. The men are much more interesting and talented. WOW

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've been told by someone who understands the technical details of skating that Abbott received 0 points for one of his spins because: "The rule requires three variations and one change of foot. If you watch the sit, J holds the first position, comes up for only one rotation and then goes into the second. It didn't count."

3. Go Shawn!!! Dammit, Skate Canada, why doesn't he have a second GP slot?
Shawn was originally assigned only one GP (Skate America), but after Artem Borodulin withdrew from the NHK, Shawn was brought in as his replacement. Therefore, Sawyer has 2 GPs this season. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I've been told by someone who understands the technical details of skating that Abbott received 0 points for one of his spins because: "The rule requires three variations and one change of foot. If you watch the sit, J holds the first position, comes up for only one rotation and then goes into the second. It didn't count."

Shawn was originally assigned only one GP (Skate America), but after Artem Borodulin withdrew from the NHK, Shawn was brought in as his replacement. Therefore, Sawyer has 2 GPs this season. :)

Thanks. Okay, not SC's fault. Though I'm sorry Borodulin withdrew. Is he okay? Also, when is the free program on for the men?