Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Men's Short Program

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    I'm happy that my favourite 3 skaters at this event (Takahashi, Abbott and Sawyer) are currently in the Top 3. Keep up the good work, boys!

Custom Title
    Oh my, Takahashi is such a fantastic performer/entertainer... Abbott has a great programme, but he does not have the same kind of feeling towards music, in my opinion. And his costume is just awful, looks like "a Tarasova design", LOL. I also enjoyed very much Hanyu´s skating, he is so young and already so fantastic, WOW! Also I liked Denis Ten´s programme and skating.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    ^I don't agree with you, Jaana. I think Abbott and Takahashi are very different kind of skaters and have different approaches to interpretation. I find that Takahashi responds very well to rhythm and moves with a lot of spontaneous verve, while Abbott is a more cerebral kind of skater and pays attention to every nuance in the music and has amazing attention to details. Takahashi is definitely a more showy kind of skater and is very exciting to watch, but Abbott's musicality makes me feel and stays with me even after the program ends. I also think Abbott is more versatile an interpreter. Takashi is probably the best at skating to the upbeat and dancey kind of programs but when it comes to the lyrical ones that require a more subtle interpretation I don't think he has enough attention to details to fill the entire program.
    Last edited by shine; 10-23-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Now that's what I call skating. Ever since COP came about the ladies in general just can't touch the men. COP totally suits the men and other disciples but it hinders the ladies imo. The ladies event use to be it for me in the past but it's hard to get through most of those comps. The men are just awesome most of the time and their programs have way more personality. I love the top 4 men (4 of my favorites anyway) and I think they are in the right order. Jeremy had a problem on at least one spin and his jumps do not have the height of Dai so I'm fine with the order. Also there was even more improvement in Jeremy especially, Dai and even Florent. Love, love their programs...so proud.

The men even have more interesting music.
    Last edited by lavender; 10-23-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Custom Title
    1. Takahashi was electric. My goodness, he's pure liquid in his fluidity and he's sensationally musical. This in Tokyo? Supernova.

2. Jeremy was good, but even without the spin error, I have him in second.

3. Go Shawn!!! Dammit, Skate Canada, why doesn't he have a second GP slot?

4. Florent... boring beginning, good ending. Glad he does the hard triples now in his short.

5. Hanyu... I think I liked the program a little more than Florent's, though again - I agree with him being fifth.

Custom Title
    I hope the men's FS will be better than the ladies...lots of falls or pops :(

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Jeremy's program has way too many arm movements, IMO. The program reminds me a bit of Lambiel's SP from the 2007-2008 season, except overdone and not executed as well (that's really not Jeremy's style).

I'm also annoyed with Takahashi's "Lutz", though. That is a Flip entrance. He's basically doing 2 Triple Flips in the program right now. But if we do give him credit for the Lutz, he still deserved to be 1st even with that mistake on the 3Axel. His skating, body movement, and musicality is just incredible.

I just may have to give up watching the ladies. The men are much more interesting and talented. WOW

I've been told by someone who understands the technical details of skating that Abbott received 0 points for one of his spins because: "The rule requires three variations and one change of foot. If you watch the sit, J holds the first position, comes up for only one rotation and then goes into the second. It didn't count."

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    3. Go Shawn!!! Dammit, Skate Canada, why doesn't he have a second GP slot?
    Shawn was originally assigned only one GP (Skate America), but after Artem Borodulin withdrew from the NHK, Shawn was brought in as his replacement. Therefore, Sawyer has 2 GPs this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    I've been told by someone who understands the technical details of skating that Abbott received 0 points for one of his spins because: "The rule requires three variations and one change of foot. If you watch the sit, J holds the first position, comes up for only one rotation and then goes into the second. It didn't count."

Shawn was originally assigned only one GP (Skate America), but after Artem Borodulin withdrew from the NHK, Shawn was brought in as his replacement. Therefore, Sawyer has 2 GPs this season.
    Thanks. Okay, not SC's fault. Though I'm sorry Borodulin withdrew. Is he okay? Also, when is the free program on for the men?

Though I'm sorry Borodulin withdrew. Is he okay?
    The only thing I've heard from another fan was that Artem had a problem related to his leg or ankle, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, when is the free program on for the men?
    I wish I knew.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

I'm also annoyed with Takahashi's "Lutz", though. That is a Flip entrance. He's basically doing 2 Triple Flips in the program right now. But if we do give him credit for the Lutz, he still deserved to be 1st even with that mistake on the 3Axel. His skating, body movement, and musicality is just incredible.
    I think Takahashi took a rocker into the lutz so it was a lutz correctly on the outside edge, so he didn't really take the "flip entrance" into the lutz because he didn't do a three turn.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I just may have to give up watching the ladies. The men are much more interesting and talented. WOW
    That thought does crosses my mind but I won't totally stop. The ladies just aren't consider the marquee event imo. I'm sticking around because I still enjoy and wish success for Mao Mirai and if Yu na comes back. Lost expectations for Alissa and Caroline is no longer that skater for me. There's just so many more great male skaters now.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I think Takahashi took a rocker into the lutz so it was a lutz correctly on the outside edge, so he didn't really take the "flip entrance" into the lutz because he didn't do a three turn.
    You're correct, I wasn't looking closely enough. He does do a rocker rather than a three turn. I guess his foot position is what makes it look more like a Flip. He keeps his upper leg on an inside lean and picks in with the other foot more like a Flip (ie more inside the circle) than a Lutz. His skating foot doesn't stay on a clear outside edge either - he rolls up to the flat. He's never maintained a great outside edge on his Lutz and this entrance kind of makes it look more questionable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    You're correct, I wasn't looking closely enough. He does do a rocker rather than a three turn. I guess his foot position is what makes it look more like a Flip. He keeps his upper leg on an inside lean and picks in with the other foot more like a Flip (ie more inside the circle) than a Lutz. His skating foot doesn't stay on a clear outside edge either - he rolls up to the flat. He's never maintained a great outside edge on his Lutz and this entrance kind of makes it look more questionable.
    I think he maintains a clear outside edge the whole time. He just takes an inside edge before he actually does the rocker. I think if anything the rocker helps him stay on the outside edge the whole time.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast