Thread: British Championships - text voting!

On the Ice

British Championships - text voting!

After the Senior Free Dance at the British Championships (Dec 2003, Sheffield, England), people in the audience (who have a mobile phone) will be able to text vote for the "People's Champion" based on the dancers' performance on the Free Dance.
    The winners will receive a trophy.
    See Ice Link (UK) for more scant details.

I find this fascinating. Strange, but compelling.
    Of course, what choice do I have but to be texting for my favourites to win? I'd feel a heel if I didn't.
    BUT, wouldn't all that money (surely it must cost?) be better spent on televising the event (our nationals haven't been televised for a few years now) - or sponsoring those whose lottery funding has been removed? :sheesh:

What do you all think?

:\

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    They used to do it in the US, not with the live audience but with the TV viewers. I don't know if they still do or not.

Hmm. Well, it's just a public relations ploy, trying to get people to come out and support their favorites. I can't see that it does any harm. But it does take away a little bit from treating ice dancing as a real sport.

Mathman

sounds a little "American Idol-ish" to me LOL

On the Ice
    Yes, or even British Pop Idol-ish!

I can be Simon Cowell..... :D

Beebee,

Actually, we here in the U.S. have copied quite a few of your off-the-wall British TV shows. Like the Weakest Link, for instance.

Mathman

Go NJ Devils
    Originally posted by Mathman
    Beebee,

Actually, we here in the U.S. have copied quite a few of your off-the-wall British TV shows. Like the Weakest Link, for instance.

Mathman
    Plus all of the shows that The Learning Channel has copied -- with Auntie's permission, of course -- Trading Spaces (Changing Rooms) and Faking It. And for about three episodes there was Coupling, which was a rip-off of BBC's Coupling, which was based on Friends.

Edited, because I can't type and think at the same time.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    hockeyfan228:

The biggest "copy cat" program in the US was "Threes Company" based on the British program - "Man About the House" - which was much funnier than "Threes Company."

As for the ice dance - people's choice - never heard of this being done on this side of the water. Interesting....

On the Ice
    I've always loved certain US TV. Was brought up with Starsky & Hutch, The Streets Of San Fransisco (mum made me watch it), Cagney & Lacey, $6M man, Bionic Woman, Hart to Hart, Charlie's Angels, Incredible Hulk, Night Rider. etc
    Now I love Sex and the City, Friends, sometimes Frasier.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by Mathman
    Beebee,

Mathman
    There was a TV show on the other night (in Britain) about that - about programmes being re-made for US TV. It was quite interesting really, as I'd wondered what the remakes were like. I have to say though, some of them were awful!! (What in the world did they do to Fawlty Towers?????) Seemed a bit pointless really, for the ones that they used practically the same script for. Why not just show the original British version? (But I think the reason had something to do with the different cultures, and different humour.)

On the Ice
    Apparently - now it's not me saying this, but it's what the British say about the Americans - the Americans don't understand sarcasm/satire....but Friends seems to get it ok.

Billy Connolly - do you US guys understand his wit?

At the moment I can't think of one single British comedy/satire that the US people wouldn't understand. :sheesh:

I like "Are you being served" and "Chef." Mrs. Mathman never misses Coronation Street -- even goes to the web site to see what's going to happen next (the shows here are about 3 months behind).

MM

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

British Championships - text voting!

beebeeuk:

Eric Idle - of Monty Pythons fame lives in the States and is very popular in both Canada and the US. I am going to see him here in Vancouver on Dec. 2nd. This will be my second time. He has a quite a following here in Canada. Of course, we "get" British humour here.

Oh, I loved "Are you being served?" I also loved "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister". Also, there was a really cool police show and I forget the name, but they didn't use guns or high speed chases... the officers were male and female and I think they were a romantic couple as well. And my all time favorites are "Poirot," "Midsommer Murders," and "Inspector Morse". I once saw an absolutely awful Americanized Poirot movie with Peter Ustinov. Yikes!

Oops, my post is completely Le Caf material. Oh, well.