Dornbush qualifies for JGP Final; looks to improve | Golden Skate

Dornbush qualifies for JGP Final; looks to improve

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Richard Dornbush has seen a few ups-and-downs in his career, but has established himself as one of the top men at the junior level. He qualified for his third consecutive ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final this fall after finishing fourth and first in his two events in Graz, Austria and Dresden, Germany.
More

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I thought it might be appropriate to bump up this article thread from late October on the new Junior Grand Prix Final men's champion. :) Dornbush set new ISU personal best scores of 70.75 (SP), 148.81 (FS), 219.56 (Total), and the latter is the 8th highest score among all men so far this season.

The JGP Final videos are up on Icenetwork now, but for those who don't have a subscription:
Dornbush's JGPF SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQmBCnxf34
Dornbush's JGPF FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxPEF4s-xg

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Saw him skate live in Beijing for his JGPF championship, and he put out an excellent skate indeed. Tammy Gambill can be proud. Actually she was, and was ecstatic when he went clean. I presume he will be skating senior level at US Nationals, right?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Saw him skate live in Beijing for his JGPF championship, and he put out an excellent skate indeed. Tammy Gambill can be proud. Actually she was, and was ecstatic when he went clean.
Yes, she seemed more excited than he was when his scores came up! :laugh:

I presume he will be skating senior level at US Nationals, right?
Yes. Dornbush placed 11th in his senior debut at 2010 Nationals last season (which wasn't high enough for him to get Junior Worlds even though finished 4th at the JGP Final).

herios

Medalist
He is 19 years old. Pretty soon, he will have to skate senior whether he wants to or not.

Yes, and if he skates like he skated here in Beijing, believe me, he will put a wrench on the outcome of the guys. I have seen Richard here for the first time, as i am not watching the juniors too much, and whoa, his 3 axel is a LOT better than Adam's as far as technique is concerned. He put down basically a jumping clinique and beat down the field.
He could pull a 2009 Mroz easily, the way he skated in Beijing, at the US Nationals!

Last edited:
I used to see him at US Nats and thought he had potential but somehow never really rose to the occasion. This was quite a surprise for me, and I hope it continues in Junior Worlds.