Overall Opinions of NHK 2010 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Overall Opinions of NHK 2010

janetfan

Match Penalty
1. I have to admit a great deal of disappointment with janetfan's dismissal of ice dance. Right now, the field in ice dance (at NHK) displayed a range of artistic ability and athleticism, something I think the ladies' really lack. If you watch for the beauty of the sport, it's where its at right now. Additionally, complaining about politics seems unfair - I don't think you can argue this podium was the consequence of politics any more than you can argue that the ladies' podium was. But frankly, all I have of the domination of the ladies in terms of discussion is a gendered reading of the whole thing, which is even more disappointing.

To make it perfectly clear - we almost always know the winners of a Dance "competition" before they take to the ice and skate. That makes it feel more like an exhibition to me.

You have admitted to me that the '09 Worlds and Vancouver Dance podiums were wrong and heavily influenced by politics.
It is the tradition of the the discipline and hope someday they get past the "wait your turn" aspect of judging it.

Your other point feels true - I think Ice Dancing can be beautiful to watch at times. I did not watch any of the Dance from NHK basically because my IN was not renewed and didn't see the point to watching since the winners were a foregone conclusion.

I watch NFL footbal and soccer from the Euro leagues on the weekend. I would not watch a game if I already knew who won - just too many other things going on. Also consider NHK has a huge time-zone factor. So I watched about 2/3's of the Ladies and half the Men from a Russian feed. I also passed on the Pairs. Maybe at the next event I will check out the Dance or Pairs but will definitely watch the ladoes and the Men.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
it's about more than just who wins, janetfan.

and you can't tell me you expected the shibs to wins bronze, anyways.

I agree that it is about more than winning. But there is only so much some of us can take in.
I suspect Dance fans may have skipped the singles skating at NHK if they were busy and had other things going on.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My initial point compared the ladies to the men, but it's worth mentioning that the ladies competition got more posts than the other three combined 356 vs 352, at this writing).

You have admitted to me that the '09 Worlds and Vancouver Dance podiums were wrong and heavily influenced by politics.

Think we should ask Blades of Passion which Vancouver podium was a better reflection of the skating, men or dance?

To make it perfectly clear - we almost always know the winners of a Dance "competition" before they take to the ice and skate. That makes it feel more like an exhibition to me.

To me, Davis and White were the winners because their abilities simply outclassed this field - everyone knew they would win because they're just that much better. To me, a competition that was a "wait your turn" result would give us a podium that didn't have a just up from juniors team beating one that's been on the senior circuit.

janetfan

Match Penalty
My initial point compared the ladies to the men, but it's worth mentioning that the ladies competition got more posts than the other three combined 356 vs 352, at this writing).

Think we should ask Blades of Passion which Vancouver podium was a better reflection of the skating, men or dance?

To me, Davis and White were the winners because their abilities simply outclassed this field - everyone knew they would win because they're just that much better. To me, a competition that was a "wait your turn" result would give us a podium that didn't have a just up from juniors team beating one that's been on the senior circuit.

Your initial post was interesting and although I didn't count up the posts the results are not surprising given the popularity of Ladies figure skating.

Your last point is interesting and nice to see Dance finaly coming around and rewarding the team that skates the best. Too bad it took three decades for that to happen.

The Ladies had a skater just up from juniors medal and we may see that this week at SC.
Too much was going on for me last weekend - I missed the gymnastics and most of the baseball.
It gets down to choices and what we like. Grand Prix Dance events are just not of enough interest for me to watch on my computer.

I watch them at Natls and Worlds/Olympics and really like it when I watch on TV.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the love of all that is holy, please do not rehash the men's Vancouver Olympic podium. We should have everyone's stance on the issue memorized by now. :bang:

janetfan

Match Penalty
For the love of all that is holy, please do not rehash the men's Vancouver Olympic podium. We should have everyone's stance on the issue memorized by now. :bang:

:laugh: :laugh:

I just edited my last post.
If there is blood it will be on Pogue's hands. :cool:

No reason to blame anyone for liking one discipline more than another.

For myself, I have to say that I have come more and more to like ice dance in the last few years because they don't fall down as much.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Haha, how vigilant of you museksk8r! :biggrin:

The Gold and Silver medals were completely correct for the Vancouver dance podium! I think Delobel/Shoenfelder deserved Bronze, though. Gimmicks and bits of sloppiness and all. Belbin and Agosto were kind of hideous at points. And very detached from what they were skating to. The Russians, well, do we really need to talk about that uninspired pile of poo Free Dance?

Delobel/Schoenfelder gave performances full of personality, verve, and joy. They actually believed what they were skating to.

Welcome back Joe.

My impressions of NHK...I will sum it up in one sentence...this season is totally up for grabs.

It's not even worth making any predictions.
I can't help but agree with you. I've lost interest in predictions since so much is based on nationality, reputation and hope. If the predictors would give some skating rationale for their selection, I would be interested in reading them.

I do think NHK had good competitions. I am concerned that SC, except for the Men, may not be all that interesting competitive wise.

skfan

Final Flight
My third try at signing in and losing the draft of a post.

First of all I would like to thank so many posters for the 'welcome back'. It made my day.

As to Hanyu, one should rewatch his skate from IN. The young man shown incredible talents at synchonizing all the elements with effortless flow. The arms, legs, the whole body, the speeds of which are appropriate.
Forget the tricks, although they are also very good. His Blade to Ice is perfect.

I suspect we will be talking about Amodio and Hanyu by 2013 Sochi, anyone?

i will watch hanyu when someone surgically removes those gloves from his hands.

amodio i loved BEFORE he donned the mittens. looking forward to seeing what everyone appreciates about this surely very talented young man.

skfan

Final Flight
No reason to blame anyone for liking one discipline more than another.

For myself, I have to say that I have come more and more to like ice dance in the last few years because they don't fall down as much.

is there something wrong with me? watching the shibutanis make me weep for silverstein & pekarek.

sorry... pls combine my posts for me... someone skilled at this. imaginary pogue, i blame you for causing me to delurk and become so talkative i double posted.

I don't have an overall opinion on NHK as I've only seen a few performances so far (we're moving) but I too am very glad to see Joesitz back. It wasn't the same without you, Joe!

KKonas

Medalist
Finally got to see ladies and pairs. Very unexciting. To win this level of competition with such a mediocre skate (Kostner) is disappointing in this day and age. Flatt was pretty good technically. Poor Mao. Hope she can get her jumps under control. Dai & Amodio are showmen. Not too crazy about Amodio's MJ gestures in the FS but he otherwise skated well. Dai's SP was great. His FS needs work. Like Abbott's skating, but he has zero personality on the ice. The young Japanese skater has light, high jumps but overall still skates like a junior, which is okay as he's just a kid. Wonder if he can keep up that height as he matures.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
No big surprises overall except for Carolina i guess. EVen that wasnt that big of a surprise. I knew Mao would not be skating her best by any means and lets face it the american girls just won't win an event if there is any european or asian competition. Only Davis and White really impressed me so far. But boy oh boy am i sick of listeing to tangos.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Haha, how vigilant of you museksk8r! :biggrin:

The Gold and Silver medals were completely correct for the Vancouver dance podium! I think Delobel/Shoenfelder deserved Bronze, though. Gimmicks and bits of sloppiness and all. Belbin and Agosto were kind of hideous at points. And very detached from what they were skating to. The Russians, well, do we really need to talk about that uninspired pile of poo Free Dance?

Delobel/Schoenfelder gave performances full of personality, verve, and joy. They actually believed what they were skating to.

I agree with you about the Russians, but not Delobel and Schoenfelder. They were WAY below their A-game and deserved 6th place.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I know it's way past the competition, but I just wanted to say how cute Kanako Murakami is.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Watched NHK on NBC. Missed the first 20 min. Here are my 2 cents:

Ladies:

One word - Boring (sorry). Ashley's skating was so slow and so did Rachael's. Flatt was consistant enough at jumps but she was really far off in terms of artistry, posture, and speed compared with skaters from other countries, even compared with Nagasu. The Japanese new comer was very impressive. Never liked Carolina much.

Ice dance:

NBC has only showed Davis/White's free dance which was a lovely, lovely performance, technically very difficult I think. Love Charlie's short hair! His face is not round like before any more in this hair style.

Men:

Hanyu - At first when he got on the ice, for a moment, I was really confused at what discipline I was watching.;) So many Johnny Weirs out there.:laugh: Loved his skating very much though. Amazed at the depth of Japanese men's skating. Hanyu reminded me a lot of young Johnny Weir when he first bursted onto senior scene.

Amondio - Don't care much about this program. He did a great job though.

Abbott - His skating is like a red wine. If you have the leisure of the time to relax and sip, chances are you might love it. If you are in a hurry and gulp down fully, you won't know what you are drinking. But I feel that this program was lack of drama, big highs and lows, can't fully demonstrate his abilities in terms of skating skills like Takahashi's and Chan's. I think it affects his PCS. Then again Abbott's programs are usually mellow.

Takahashi - The star of the competition! Quad + artistry = a killer combination
He has them all!:bow:

Last edited: