Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Team figure skating possible for Sochi 2014

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Thanks for the article!!
    Cinquanta being 99.9% sure means it's a matter between him and IOC not ISU, no?

As for Team Japan, for Takahashi/Tran and the Reeds it will be a heavy burden.
    And does Tran have to obtain Japanese nationality? Or will there be an exception for team competitions?

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Question: If the team winner at the Olympics will be decided by adding the individuel points, how come in World Team Trophy the winner team is determined by adding points determined by placement?

Wouldn't they have to change the WWT format, so it will resemble the kind they suggest for the Olympics? Though I'm glad they're not considering the same format, that they will use for the Youth Winter Olympics.

Luge team relay! I like that one.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Now the ISU uploaded this on its own official site.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/co...s-item,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by sequinsgalore View Post
    Question: If the team winner at the Olympics will be decided by adding the individuel points, how come in World Team Trophy the winner team is determined by adding points determined by placement? ....
    Wouldn't they have to change the WWT format, so it will resemble the kind they suggest for the Olympics? ....
    I think the ISU should change the sytem from the last Team Trophy event to be coherent to the foreseen Olys team game.
    I also think Speedy will work hard to get close to 10 teams next April.

AFAIK the Announcement is not yet published, is it?
    Last edited by sorcerer; 10-27-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Why have a team event? Why not just add synchros? Those athletes are the ones who are truly left out.

Custom Title
    There is another possibility ( though perhaps not a good one ). Each country fields a different team for the individual events and the team events. That way, each federation decides where to put its strongest skaters.

Rogue Leader
    Sorcerer, all Olympic athletes need to be citizens of the country they represent. The IOC does not have exceptions to this rule.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Thanks.
    Then Japan won't medal, even if it did succeed to participate which seems a bit difficult now.
    Oh wait, there is still a slim chance that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan will give Tran the necessary citizenship using the exception clause (which never has been utilized till today though).
    Last edited by sorcerer; 10-28-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Custom Title
    I love the concept of this idea, but the actual execution of it might be a bit difficult.

My suggestion would be to have the "second tier" skate for the team, those that finished 4th & 5th respectively. This way it would give everybody a chance to be an Olympic Medalist.

No way should top medal contenders from a country be forced to compete because they're already so focused on their individual event. However, I would make an exception for *afterwards*, that is after everybody has skated their individual event, then & only then would the top dogs compete. And for those that fell just short of attaining an individual medal, this would give them a great incentive to redeem themselves imho.

And who knows this TEAM event may one day become more important than the individual event(s), since it's about working as a team for one's country, not individually. Just like how we go on & on when skaters from our individual countries do not earn enough points together in order to send a third member (e.g. Alissa Czisny's 11th place at 2009 Worlds + Rachael Flatt's 5th place wasn't good enough to send a third lady to the 2010 Olympics :( ).

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    And who knows this TEAM event may one day become more important than the individual event(s), since it's about working as a team for one's country, not individually...
    Quite true. In gymnastics, for instance, the overall individual title is important to the athletes, and maybe even the individual apparatuses are. But to the fans watching back home, its all about the national team.

Custom Title
    Nice that we are speculating here, but has anybody seen any press about feedback from any of the National Federations or individual skaters, as to thoughts on the merits (or lack thereof) of the Team concept? I'm not in the loop, but it seems like the silence has been deafening.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Why have a team event? Why not just add synchros? Those athletes are the ones who are truly left out.
    Totally agree!

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    .....but has anybody seen any press about feedback from any of the National Federations or individual skaters, as to thoughts on the merits (or lack thereof) of the Team concept? .....
    Here's one from Mao and from JSF:
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/fla...101026056.html

Mao: "I really like it! Seems fun too (from my experience). "
    Mr. Yoshioka the Reinforcement Director of JSF: "If it comes to Olympic Games, then we don't have any pairs. No pair skaters nor coaches who can teach pairs. We have problems as to where the pairs can train themselves. Not easy to get a medal."

Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    Totally agree!
    Me, I partly agree!
    Sychronized skating should be in the Olys if the latter really aims to house every aspect of amateur sports.
    But in reality they quit baseball and even softball as a Oly game f'rinstance.
    The olympics has become a big business network, a conglomerate, though I hate it to be so.
    We'd have to face the fact that it pays only where there's enough thrill even for the occasional visitors. And visible personalities blown up on TV screens.
    IOC needs stars. Though I don't like it, it is the reality.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 10-29-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: misspelling

Synchro is girl only. They obviously want to add a good boy/girl mix.
    I'm not really sure about this either - too few countries would be medal contenders, as was previously stated.

Custom Title
    Extra skating will never hurt my eyes, will it be one or two days event?
    Event like this will encourage more countries to work on developing more pairs and dance teams. It will be all good for smaller countries and for the sport.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast