Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Team figure skating possible for Sochi 2014

Down With It
    if each country only sends one of each..not much of a "team" is it?? At least in gymnastics, most if not all the ladies (and men) who get sent get to contribute to the team event in some manner.

Custom Title
    actually team event is good idea,
    i don't like the concept of how they are putting it togthers,
    sport is already rigged doesn't need anything else. that even implies it, by sending two different teams and federation chooses.
    for example
    u.s.a.
    girls this last olympics
    usa tell press that mirai and rachel competes in individual and sasha and ashley for team but once gets there changes minds and states
    it is rachel and sasha for individual and mirai and ashley for team. nope the hollering will start
    what they should do for in my non-taken opinion is just use the skaters that already qualifies for olympics and use their placements and for the countries that don't have only 3 disciplines, 2 disciplines , 1discipline qualified for the olympics allow those and only those countries to send extra for only and just only for team.
    like japan didn't have pair i think so they would have been allowed 1 spot or 2 spots for team in dance event only since the others were taken 1 in dance, 2, in men and 2 in ladies.
    they can weight the scores different , or add placements
    or if they didn't qualify only 1 discipline since only 30 can go the teams that didn't qualify in whichever discipline the number would be 31.,
    only my dumb opinion

Custom Title
    I have a difficult time reconciling myself to an event that would give skaters like Denney/Barrett an Olympic gold in figure skating when others like Savchenko/Szolkowy have pretty much no chance of doing so merely by virtue of birth or citizenship.

Plus, am I the only one who is cynical enough to think that there may be quite a bit of citizenship-switching if such an event was actually held?

Banned
    IOC stalls the decision till April 2011. Then the decision will be made solely by Jacques Rogge. The official explanation is that IOC wants to see the next round of world championships of new sport candidates. No need to remind you that ISU currently doesn't have FS team event in world championship and unlikely will have the one in March.

So, what Jacques is going to watch?

nefertiti..reincarnate
    I think the team going to the Olys should consist of skaters who do really wish to skate in/for the team (and hence seek olympic medals).
    Let's suppose USA has 3 spots going into Sochi.
    If Rachael chooses keeping energy for her individual medal quest, she is allowed to do so.
    If Mirai wishes to try for 2 medals hanging on her neck, she'll be one of the candidates for the team.
    The highest Seasonal Best holder among the candidates will be in the team.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 10-30-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    IOC stalls the decision till April 2011. Then the decision will be made solely by Jacques Rogge. The official explanation is that IOC wants to see the next round of world championships of new sport candidates. No need to remind you that ISU currently doesn't have FS team event in world championship and unlikely will have the one in March.

So, what Jacques is going to watch?
    Yeah...shouldn't the ISU FIRST work such an event into their world championship, and THEN push for it to be included in the Olys?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3