Toller Cranston article | Golden Skate

Toller Cranston article

janetfan

Match Penalty
He's in Winnipeg for an art display, and will guest judge on Battle of the Blades, even though he claims to hate it. He's as opinionated as always, and manages to work in an Elvis Stojko insult:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/en...ston-wields-razor-sharp-blades-105988663.html

Toller remains one of my favorite skaters and most of today's Men can't touch him when it come to creativity - and just forget about posture, stretch and lines - Dai and Jeremy look like they are in a totally different sport.

His shot at Elvis is really not so bad - his thoughts about the CoP and comments about Yuna seem more harsh:

"I watched with shock and awe and horror. I find the new marking system to be stupendously flawed -- as political and as inaccurate as the former one."

He finds that most Canadians can't name the 2010 female Olympic gold medalist, South Korean Kim Yu-Na.

"It's because the performance, unlike an Evelyn Hart, was not emotionally memorable. It was technically dazzling, but out of sight, out of mind. Technique is just a stepping stone for something far more important."

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
It's harsh but I have to say I agree with a lot with what he says. Programs now are just not as memorable as those done under 6.0. I have the feeling it's has a lot more to do with the system than the skaters themselves.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I agree with you janetfan. I adored him in his day & like today's Johnny Weir he isn't afraid to speak his mind. An extraordinary, talented man.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, what a character, I love Toller and all his idiosyncrasies. :laugh: I've always said there's a reason why he & Elvis Stojko live in Mexico, separately of course, lol. It's because they're far too outspoken & blunt for their own country. :D

On a more esoteric level, there is a story/a fable that says Mexico's ocean is said to be able to erase all memory, thereby one is able to start anew/afresh. Hmmm...

I wish him well, and think he's a terrific artist, especially the portrait he did back in the 90's of all the greats in skating amassed together in one huge colorful array ~ like a peacock! Oksana as "The Swan", Michelle as "Salome", Elvis as "The Karate Kid", lol, etc. etc. etc.

My all-time favorite quote from Toller: "Many skaters attempt new and different kinds of music, but I believe that there is no replacement for the classics...there is no substitute for beauty." :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. I personally saw no insult in Toller's brief mention of Elvis, lol, rather it was in relation to Toller himself, how *he* Toller is an exception to ALL other figure skaters, of course. ;) Elvis, et al, wouldn't be caught dead prowling around the Hermitage, only Toller would be because of his exceptional qualities, including having a Harvard professor's knowledge of the history of art, etc. etc. etc. :D

janetfan

Match Penalty
Lol, what a character, I love Toller and all his idiosyncrasies. :laugh: I've always said there's a reason why he & Elvis Stojko live in Mexico, separately of course, lol. It's because they're far too outspoken & blunt for their own country. :D

On a more esoteric level, there is a story/a fable that says Mexico's ocean is said to be able to erase all memory, thereby one is able to start anew/afresh. Hmmm...

I wish him well, and think he's a terrific artist, especially the portrait he did back in the 90's of all the greats in skating amassed together in one huge colorful array ~ like a peacock! Oksana as "The Swan", Michelle as "Salome", Elvis as "The Karate Kid", lol, etc. etc. etc.

My all-time favorite quote from Toller: "Many skaters attempt new and different kinds of music, but I believe that there is no replacement for the classics...there is no substitute for beauty." :)

It is interesting and feels somewhat ironic that Toller and Elvis both live in Mexico. :)
Here is a fun clip of Toller - being introduced by a young Brian Orser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vea3ne0UN0

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
"Many skaters attempt new and different kinds of music, but I believe that there is no replacement for the classics...there is no substitute for beauty." :)

He said this in 1982 while being a commentator watching Janet Lynn perform "The Blue Danube", which was a fantastic program choreographed for her by John Curry.

Taan

On the Ice
Toller is hilarious! he still his wit...that whole article had me :rofl:

but oh dear he actually said a bad word against queen yuna ?!! :eek:

I love Toller as a skater, and his art is interesting, but you have to take his opinions with a grain of salt. I think he's more peeved at the CoP system than YuNa as an exponent of it, but I'm not going to try to parse or defend his comments. This is a guy who likes to provoke.

As for his skating, he's one of the greats and always will be. As janetfan says, his extensions and bladework are gorgeous. I'm glad he is having such an enjoyable, productive post-skating life. Interesting that he chose to live in a country that has almost no ice.

sunny0760

On the Ice
I don't fully understand what Cranston is saying here. Why did he mention Evelyn Hart instead of Kwan or others who he might think could be emotionally memorable with SKATING? Can anyone explain to me what is relevant?

I don't agree if he is saying Yuna's performance was unemotional and unmemorable.:)
But ITA that "technique is just a stepping stone for something far more important" because, without good skills, simply good skating, you really cannot develop artisic side to move people's heart.:p Who can believe that artisty can be accurately judged?

Anyway, I found this article about Evelyn Hart and she worked with Yuna in 2007!!! Interesting.
http://blog.naver.com/etwas0227?Redirect=Log&logNo=60045353262

"Brian thought it would be great to have me help her (Kim) with some of the aesthetic things, get my opinion, because they are more worried about the artistic impression since she is a great technician," Hart said from her home in Toronto, where she has lived for the past couple of years.

Hart will focus on improving the way in which Kim carries her arms, the stretch of her leg, her musical interpretation and expression. She also wouldn't mind being asked for advice regarding the skater's competition makeup and hairstyle.

"It's interesting to see that there are a lot of things about the physics of movement that apply to both skating and ballet. There's a lot of things that can improve a skater's line," Hart offered.

"Kim is such a natural. She understands movement really, really well. She's like a sponge. I think there's a lot more that she can explore. I really want to get her into the emotional aspect of skating and the interpretation," Hart said.

Wow, Yuna and Mr. Orser worked hard together and I believe Ms. Hart helped her a lot. What would Ms. Hart think what Mr. Cranston is saying?:rolleye:

Last edited:

bestskate8

On the Ice
Toller:
"I watched with shock and awe and horror. I find the new marking system to be stupendously flawed -- as political and as inaccurate as the former one."

:eek:

Wow, THANK YOU Toller!
That is exactly how I felt about Olympics 2010 ,especially men and ladies events. I knew he will come out and say something about it, just didn’t know when, wish he will say more about men event as he did in 2002.:thumbsup:

Go Toller! try to save the sport. :love: